Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Feb 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,126 of 1,687

Quote:
Right. I just got my SM3, which is my first BA IEM, and I have been told it needs like 100 hours of burn-in. Is this true? :)

If anything, the SM3 need mental burn-in and that varies from person to person. Certainly not mechanical burn-in tho.

Quote:
Cheers. :) Rough newspaper is the most subtle "sand paper" to get the job done, without scratches.

Wow that is a great tip! Thanks dfkt!

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,127 of 1,687

Quote:
If anything, the SM3 need mental burn-in and that varies from person to person. Certainly not mechanical burn-in tho.

Wow that is a great tip! Thanks dfkt!

Right! From what I understand about the SM3, it takes a little while to mental burn in. But I also learned in the past that Mental burn in, is just as important and REAL as physical burn in. A while back I used to think that mental burn in was like me "convincing" myself that something is good, or something is not. I respect mental burn in much more today. For Example, if I go from my Ortofon EQ-5 directly to GR-07, I usually need abut 5 minutes of mental burn in to appreciate the differences

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,128 of 1,687

Quote:
Indeed. I hated the SM3 right out of the box, especially with the foamies. After a few days however they turned out to be some of my favorite IEMs ever, after I got used to their rather unique tuning. :wink:

Mine came out of the box with dual flanges. Whut.

Talk about brain burn-in.  How does it require burn-in when I already got used to the SM3's sound signature before buying? O.o

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,130 of 1,687
Help! I just did the filter removal mod, and then only the green thing came out, without the metal bit. /facepalm is this reversible?? D:

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,132 of 1,687
Not all is lost, u can carefully stick a straight paper clip with a tiny hook inside and get that metal cylinder out. Be sure not to stick the paper clip too deep or may end up damaging the drivers.  Then carefully place the green filter back in the cylinder and insert it back.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote:
Help! I just did the filter removal mod, and then only the green thing came out, without the metal bit. /facepalm is this reversible?? D:

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,134 of 1,687
Indeed. Oh wells, I'm digging the bright sound though. Anyone has spare filters? :p

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,135 of 1,687

Quote:
Indeed. Oh wells, I'm digging the bright sound though. Anyone has spare filters? :p

I could be wrong but i remember someone saying they bought some spare filters off ebay. They maybe generic ones and not necessarily the same ones used by Earsonics (that is assuming they didn't use generic ones to begin with) though. Possibly similar to Ety filters I'm thinking? Anyhow, isn't the filter-less sound a little harsh or sibilant? Haven't had the guts to try that mod as I'm afraid this very same thing would happen. Don't want to risk ruining the SM3s delicate treble tuning in any way.

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,136 of 1,687
It sounds more, visceral and brighter to me now, with the highs being in-your-face like the Westone 4. Best of both worlds IMHO. Also, what are those filters called? O_O

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #1,137 of 1,687

Quote:
It sounds more, visceral and brighter to me now, with the highs being in-your-face like the Westone 4. Best of both worlds IMHO. Also, what are those filters called? O_O

Really? Just goes to show you how different everyone's ears are. I didn't the W4's highs as being in-your-face at all. IT was good, yes. But not in-your-face. And overall the W4 struck my ears as rather boring albeit quite accurate / neutral.

I think those filters (or dampers) are Knowles' ones. See this:  --->http://www.head-fi.org/t/517747/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-thread-third-time-is-a-charm/1020#post_7790431

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,138 of 1,687
Oh gosh thanks for the info! Now to see where to get them. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,139 of 1,687
Just a note on the damper used in the SM3.  They are the Knowles acoustic dampers not the Etymotic filters but an Etymotic filter removal tool will work to remove the filters (dampers).  Try Mouser, Digikey, or Microsonics-inc. or google them.  The Knowles dampers are common items used in the manufacturing of hearing aids. Be very careful in removing the filters or inserting new ones as it is possible to push them too far and loose them down the sound tube, this is not good to say the least.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,140 of 1,687

Quote:
Just a note on the damper used in the SM3.  They are the Knowles acoustic dampers not the Etymotic filters but an Etymotic filter removal tool will work to remove the filters (dampers).  Try Mouser, Digikey, or Microsonics-inc. or google them.  The Knowles dampers are common items used in the manufacturing of hearing aids. Be very careful in removing the filters or inserting new ones as it is possible to push them too far and loose them down the sound tube, this is not good to say the least.

Thank you! 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back