Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jun 14, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #994 of 1,687
No down the back.

For musicians 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #996 of 1,687
Over the ear + Y-splitter in front feels like I'm cutting my throat. Lately I have just been wearing it straight down in front without putting the cable over my ear (ES v1)  Same holds for the ES v2 (did upgrade) as I believe the length of the Y cable remained unchanged (or is not far off of the original length anyways). 

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #999 of 1,687
- hey guys, any advice on portable sources that matches well with the SM3s? currently im using either my 3GS or my itouch 3g, but i would like to know if there are something better than those.

amps are to be left out, since i would like to make my rig as portable as it can be (=

EDIT: how does the hifiman players sound with the SM3s? 

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,002 of 1,687
Sorry, I haven't tried the X7 yet. I haven't seen any demo on the shops here. You sure you need more than 32GB+32GB space when you're using it on the go?

I really much prefer J3 for portable use because of the size and it's versatility like easy-to-use buttons, EQ with BBE and interface. And there are available customized GUI made by one of the headfiers here. PM Kizune or check out the J3 Appreciation Thread. I believe that it sounds good even without an amp. Although, I never heard Sanza Players or Sflo or other portable players. But I can compare it to my other rig (Ipod Classic->CLAS->MK2 with ALO interconnects), and it can hold on its own due to portability and EQ to my other phones. Though some may have different experiences compared other players/DAPs, they may agree/disagree with their preferences as well.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #1,003 of 1,687

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't tried the X7 yet. I haven't seen any demo on the shops here. You sure you need more than 32GB+32GB space when you're using it on the go?

I really much prefer J3 for portable use because of the size and it's versatility like easy-to-use buttons, EQ with BBE and interface. And there are available customized GUI made by one of the headfiers here. PM Kizune or check out the J3 Appreciation Thread. I believe that it sounds good even without an amp. Although, I never heard Sanza Players or Sflo or other portable players. But I can compare it to my other rig (Ipod Classic->CLAS->MK2 with ALO interconnects), and it can hold on its own due to portability and EQ to my other phones. Though some may have different experiences compared other players/DAPs, they may agree/disagree with their preferences as well.

Well, I've been dealing with reripping a small part of my 140gb+ FLAC collection to 320kbps to fit on my iPhone 3GS 16gb (which already has only like 6gb left for music because I have tons of apps) so at this point I definitely just want to be able to have my entire FLAC library on a portable. The X7 and modded iPod 5.5 Rockbox'd (up to 240gb) and to a lesser extent the iPod Classic seem to be my best (only?) options. I won't be using an amp/dac, just straight to DAP. Btw, what is the JetEffect feature I've been hearing about?

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #1,004 of 1,687
I have the same problem last time I got only my Iphone 3GS 16GB. I have considered to buy Ipod Classic, since I purchased the Cypher Labs Algorythym Solo which is only workable on Idevices, and also which will house all my rips on WAV/M4A format. J3 will house all other formats also with my MP3s. I remained only some favorite albums on my 3GS for iem audition or backup player.

JetEffect I think is the sound enhancement from Cowon and BBE+ is another sound enhancement from another company BBE Inc. Here's a Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAUDIO#BBE_and_jetEffect

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,005 of 1,687

Quote:
- hey guys, any advice on portable sources that matches well with the SM3s? currently im using either my 3GS or my itouch 3g, but i would like to know if there are something better than those.

amps are to be left out, since i would like to make my rig as portable as it can be (=

EDIT: how does the hifiman players sound with the SM3s? 

Just fine, I have the HM 601. However, if I could do it all over again I would have chosen a different MP3 player. Their customer service is really slacking, you have to step up to the plate to get their attention over and over, if you encounter problems. I returned mine and got a new one (8 GB instead of the old 2 GB, so that is a plus, although I was not even using onboard memory) but the SD card bug still excists (having to reinsert your SD card after startup for the player to be able to read it). They have provided a firmware update in the past but this did not resolve the issue. You are basically a beta-tester with the HiFiman but still paying the same amount of bucks as more ''settled'' brands IMO.

/end of offtopic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back