Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Mar 16, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #871 of 1,687
^done.
thanks for reminding me.
beyersmile.png

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #873 of 1,687
could anybody who has reshelled their sm3s post their thoughts on them? 

i apologize for the seemingly noobish attempt in gathering information, but the search function does not serve its purpose very well )=

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #874 of 1,687
i was actually contemplating doing a reshell with UM Australia because i had accidentally pushed the green filter membrane down into the much larger cavern under the thin tube that you place your tip (mine being sensorcom tips) over.

i was starting to get incredibly pissed off at myself because i absolutely love my sm3s to death, and using it with my cowon J3, the sound from the left nozzle was audibly louder than the right and i had to change the balance. the treble was also much harsher and having no filter in the metal sleeve also meant i introduced sibilance into the left nozzle which was incredibly annoying and made me feel even worse, because i knew if i did the same thing with the right nozzle, the sibilance would eat at my soul knowing that it was my fault this happened.

so i kept trying to get that green filter back out from the cavern, and persistance paid off!. i had finally gotten the green filter back out, so i said, what the hell, i'm going to push the filter back in when i pushed a little too hard into the metal sleeve using a small blunt surgical instrument when i heard this VERY LOUD POP!

turns out i had punched a hole RIGHT THROUGH THE FILTER, i then spent another 15 minutes stressing and seeing if i could push the filter into the metal sleeve somehow and i managed squeeze the filter into the hole, albeit not perfectly aligned, i placed the metal sleeve back into the left nozzle and tentatively plugged it back into my cowon J3.

FORTUNATELY FORTUNATELY FORTUNATELY!!!! NO MORE SIBILANCE! NO MORE VOLUME IMBALANCE! and i had to turn up the volume back up to 12-15 (dead quiet to busy peak hour train noise) again (having no filter actually allowed me to use a lower volume (13 on a busy train). AND BEST OF ALL, NO MORE EATING AT MY SOUL

so the point of this post was to share the worst 24 hours (i'm a student, 380 AUD was a lot to drop on IEMs), the fact, that the green filter still works even those its semi-squashed into the metal sleeve.

i still want to eventually get my sm3s custom reshelled, but i too need more information on how they sound, and that they won't change the sound signature

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #876 of 1,687
Bit concerned about something I just noticed today, I think my drivers are rusting.

I haven't noticed any changes in sound, however I'm concerned it could develop into something more.
Anyone else have this or is it just me?

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #878 of 1,687

Quote:
Bit concerned about something I just noticed today, I think my drivers are rusting.

I haven't noticed any changes in sound, however I'm concerned it could develop into something more.

Nope.

Funny theirs always something, you can't just buy a good iem that works.....

And they want us to spends hundreds of dollars. 
eek.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #879 of 1,687
Looks more like a yellow resin to me but it could be just the picture. Do you notice any orange spots on the drivers? If you live in a humid environment, it's possible for rust to develop on the drivers.

Quote:

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #881 of 1,687
Guys, maybe its just me, but I found that the SM3 pairs up quite well with a Little Dot Micro+ in terms of synergy (might be because the LDM+ is a bright sounding amp)

Kinda like the synergy of the result better than the uDAC -> Xenos 1HA-EPC -> SM3 setup because of the synergy even though the latter has better overall technical performance.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #882 of 1,687
Doesn't surprise me at all that it is better suited to brighter amps. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #883 of 1,687
hey cats,

I just got a replacement pair of SM3's in the mail today because my last pair broke under warranty. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed what looks to be a new generation of cables? From the Y splitter to the headphones the cable is more tightly bradded and is way more nimble. last pair bought 09/10 and these came in 03/11. Tell me what you guys have noticed, or if this has been previously addressed. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #884 of 1,687
hey cats,

I just got a replacement pair of SM3's in the mail today because my last pair broke under warranty. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed what looks to be a new generation of cables? From the Y splitter to the headphones the cable is more tightly bradded and is way more nimble. last pair bought 09/10 and these came in 03/11. Tell me what you guys have noticed, or if this has been previously addressed. 

>From the Y splitter to the headphones the cable is more tightly bradded and is way more nimble.

errr, is it by any chance also LONGER?

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #885 of 1,687
also got a replacement unit last february the only difference I noticed was the clear plastic on the y splitter, 

anyway, Im considering on upgrading to a full sized headphone, what headphone below 500 USD do you consider to be an upgrade to the SM3? something with similar sounding with the SM3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back