Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Feb 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #601 of 1,687
I have received the SM3 three days ago now. They are quite impressive especially concerning the soundstage. When you listen classical symphonies or concerto that's just amazing. I would say they are very good in every style of music however I found them average on the voices. Maybe I need to improve my EQ settings... Overall I'm quite satisfied. At the beginning they can be hard to put in the ears however when it's done, they are quite comfortable.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #602 of 1,687
Quote:
Quote:
matto said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
kingice10 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Rodrigoqui said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uow! These sound great!

They are way better than my Triple.fi in almost every aspect...
The RE0 don't even had a chance!

Right? This is way better than the Triple Fi's IMHO.

Right now, I paired them with my new J3, and it sounds amazing!

How would you say the bass of these are compared to the TF10's in terms of both quantity and quality? on a 5 star rating. Thanks.

Well, rating in 5 star i would say that the de triple is a 4.0 and SM3 is a 4.8!
The bass on SM3 is more intense, fast and have a bigger weigth. It's more natural.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #603 of 1,687
So can anyone here who have heard both SM3 and ER4 (preferably the S version) compare the two in some detail and explain what it is exactly about the SM3 that you think makes it better than the Etymotic? Because personally, I am at a real loss right now because I simply cannot understand what makes SM3 superior. It does not have more detail to my ears than the ER4 (of course maybe because my hearing is not perfect), it is not faster, it does not have better separation, or even if it does, the difference is tiny, it does not have better clarity, it does not have better bass - ER4 is every bit as tight and deep, if not more so IMO. Ok ER4 has less bass quantity, but you can use EQ to bump it up to SM3 levels easily because SM3 is no bass monster either. Dynamics are similar - I actually think that both sound a bit compressed compared to a good dynamic headphone. Treble detail is similar, or at least I never felt that treble was a strong point of the SM3. Not that it's bad, but it's not brilliant or anything. ER4 is not brilliant either IMO. The two are actually very similar in that the treble is relaxed and does not interfere with the mids and bass. Timbre is at least similar IMO, but I feel that ER4 edges out SM3 in midrange realism. With SM3, mids have more of a wow factor because they are forward and very full, but Etys are more controlled, thinner by comparison, but more monitor like. Ok, the only area where I feel SM3 may truly have an upper hand is the soundstage. ER4 does sound quite in the head, whereas SM3 is out of the head and more 3D. But is that really that important? In my opinion all headphones suffer from the blobs in the head effect to some extend - some more, others less. It's just the natural result of such a close proximity of the drivers to the ears. Plus, 99% of the recording we listen to are stereo or mono and so they cannot recreate the dimensionality of a real performance anyway.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #604 of 1,687
Hi... I don't want to highjack this fine thread on the SM3, but I have been meaning to mention this for a while, and reading Pianist's post above gives me the opportunity to do so. From my listening experiences, I have found that single driver IEM's are ultimately more musical compared to multi-driver IEM's; to my ears at least. They simply sound more focussed, more coherent, just more musical. As for the Ety's, sure they sound pinched and maybe a tad squeaky compared to other IEM's. But they are very musical indeed, especially if you wear them for a while and let them bed into your ear. I have not heard the SM3's, I wish I could since they are so highly regarded. But I just wanted to bring up this single vs multi-driver issue. And also put in my two-cents worth about the Ety's.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #605 of 1,687

Quote:
So can anyone here who have heard both SM3 and ER4 (preferably the S version) compare the two in some detail and explain what it is exactly about the SM3 that you think makes it better than the Etymotic? Because personally, I am at a real loss right now because I simply cannot understand what makes SM3 superior. It does not have more detail to my ears than the ER4 (of course maybe because my hearing is not perfect), it is not faster, it does not have better separation, or even if it does, the difference is tiny, it does not have better clarity, it does not have better bass - ER4 is every bit as tight and deep, if not more so IMO. Ok ER4 has less bass quantity, but you can use EQ to bump it up to SM3 levels easily because SM3 is no bass monster either. Dynamics are similar - I actually think that both sound a bit compressed compared to a good dynamic headphone. Treble detail is similar, or at least I never felt that treble was a strong point of the SM3. Not that it's bad, but it's not brilliant or anything. ER4 is not brilliant either IMO. The two are actually very similar in that the treble is relaxed and does not interfere with the mids and bass. Timbre is at least similar IMO, but I feel that ER4 edges out SM3 in midrange realism. With SM3, mids have more of a wow factor because they are forward and very full, but Etys are more controlled, thinner by comparison, but more monitor like. Ok, the only area where I feel SM3 may truly have an upper hand is the soundstage. ER4 does sound quite in the head, whereas SM3 is out of the head and more 3D. But is that really that important? In my opinion all headphones suffer from the blobs in the head effect to some extend - some more, others less. It's just the natural result of such a close proximity of the drivers to the ears. Plus, 99% of the recording we listen to are stereo or mono and so they cannot recreate the dimensionality of a real performance anyway.

Do you actually have the SM3, to do a A/B test? I own both and I really don't understand your opinion. They're really different, actually. But SM3 are a bigger step in performance. Try to listen the SM3 again and try to distinguish in which model a bass guitar or a kick bass drum sounds better. This is important in music, too.

You're a bit confused right now with an other kind of signature. 

The SM3 are one of the most musical multi-armature, no problems with this model. The Earsonics' most musical model are the SM2.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #606 of 1,687
Quote:
Hi... I don't want to highjack this fine thread on the SM3, but I have been meaning to mention this for a while, and reading Pianist's post above gives me the opportunity to do so. From my listening experiences, I have found that single driver IEM's are ultimately more musical compared to multi-driver IEM's; to my ears at least. They simply sound more focussed, more coherent, just more musical. As for the Ety's, sure they sound pinched and maybe a tad squeaky compared to other IEM's. But they are very musical indeed, especially if you wear them for a while and let them bed into your ear. I have not heard the SM3's, I wish I could since they are so highly regarded. But I just wanted to bring up this single vs multi-driver issue. And also put in my two-cents worth about the Ety's.

They don't sound like that to me with good quality recordings. With bad quality stuff, sure they can sound that way. Actually, the Etys are the only phones I tried that sound totally different to my ears depending on source and recording. With my Sony Walkman + high quality recordings, the ER4P is heavenly - rich, smooth, detialed and amazingly accurate. Out of my Samsung U2, it sounds far less detailed, dark, a bit muddy and lacking dynamics and if you also pair the Samsung with a bad recording, it just sounds terrible. My DBA-02 on the other hand, is far more tolerable of source and recordings quality. It can still sound acceptable with poor quality sources and compressed or poorly recorded music.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #608 of 1,687
*Pops sm3eq back into ears* Meh... nvm, it probably won't get much better than this.
etysmile.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #609 of 1,687
Just got my SM3s.

I'm impressed =O

It just sounds so effortless compared to everything else I have at the moment witht he exception of the SE420 PtoS

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #610 of 1,687

Quote:

Hey pianist! Just a/bed my bro's er4p and my sm3s.

My setup is this. DIYmod> copper lod with bg caps> ibasso p3 heron> er4/sm3.

Lets go to the bass first.

For the er4, it hits quite low and it is definitely very tight. However, the quantity is a tad low for me.
The SM3 further improves er4s bass for me, by making the bass more full yet retaining the tightness and the ability to hit very low.
I prefer the SM3s for their bass :)

Mids.

Hmm.. how would i describe this. The ER4 does produce a good midrange, with good amounts of clarity.
The SM3s on the other hand feels more smooth and liquid, and it definitely sounds more full.
On a personal note, i'd go for the SM3s for their richer and fuller sound.
However, if i were given the er4s, i won't mind =D

Treble.

Ah, the treble on the sm3s are abit rolled off, but not so much till it's recessed.
The SM3s doesn't seem to have have the sheen or brightness of the er4's highs.
I definitely favour the er4 for the treble.

Soundstage & speed.

The SM3s and the ER4s are very much equal in speed, and personally i think the er4 is a wee bit faster due to it's tightness.
For soundstage, the er4 can't match SM3s 3d sound.

Comfort.

I would favour the ER4s for comfort. I have small ears so the sm3's sometimes poke at the side of my ears and it can be quite painful.
The ER4s stick out from my ear but it is definitely much more comfortable.

Conclusion.

Overall, the SM3s win the the ER4s with respect towards the bass, mids and soundstage.
For the treble, comfort and speed, the er4 wins it for me.

Actually, it's a matter of preference on sound.
I prefer a slightly warm-neutral sound, so i'd definitely go for the Sm3s.
My brother prefers a bright-neutral sound.. so he'll go for the er4.

And just to add in..
idk why but i always feel a slightly warmer tone gives an iem more musicality.

These are just my opinions, i hope none of you take it too seriously.
I'm not very good at describing sound, but i tried my best :p

ENJOY YOUR SM3S EVERYBODY!

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #611 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
matto said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
kingice10 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Rodrigoqui said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uow! These sound great!

They are way better than my Triple.fi in almost every aspect...
The RE0 don't even had a chance!

Right? This is way better than the Triple Fi's IMHO.

Right now, I paired them with my new J3, and it sounds amazing!

How would you say the bass of these are compared to the TF10's in terms of both quantity and quality? on a 5 star rating. Thanks.

Well, rating in 5 star i would say that the de triple is a 4.0 and SM3 is a 4.8!
The bass on SM3 is more intense, fast and have a bigger weigth. It's more natural.

Thanks for that man, I was playing round with my EQ on my iPhone 4 and I tried bass reducer for my TF10s and it really brought out the mids of the TF10s, listening to parkway drive became so LUSH <3, Ahh to get the SM3 or not...

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #612 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that man, I was playing round with my EQ on my iPhone 4 and I tried bass reducer for my TF10s and it really brought out the mids of the TF10s, listening to parkway drive became so LUSH <3, Ahh to get the SM3 or not...

Exactly! I've never heard the TF10s but my experience with attenuating bass does just what you described - livening the midrange. It's actually not rocket science; warmth and fullness is good, but too much and it veils the rest of the frequency spectrum. Imo, if that EQ is working magic for you, save that cash for the W4, or a pair of customs.
etysmile.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #613 of 1,687

Quote:
*Pops sm3eq back into ears* Meh... nvm, it probably won't get much better than this.
etysmile.gif

X2. I still feel the same way too. One indicator of how good they are is that after hours of listening to the huge sound of my Pro 900/Sony X with line out/Arrow 3G rig, I can still switch back to just my SM3/Sony X combo, sans amp, and be totally content with the sound right away. They're just so full sounding. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #614 of 1,687
Just tried tigon_ridge's eq setting. All I can say is 
eek.gif
, sounds even better than before.My setup is foobar2k WASAPI -> uDAC-2

Patiently waiting for Sensorcom tips to arrive to see how better it will sound
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #615 of 1,687
Quote:
Hey pianist! Just a/bed my bro's er4p and my sm3s.

My setup is this. DIYmod> copper lod with bg caps> ibasso p3 heron> er4/sm3.

Lets go to the bass first.

For the er4, it hits quite low and it is definitely very tight. However, the quantity is a tad low for me.
The SM3 further improves er4s bass for me, by making the bass more full yet retaining the tightness and the ability to hit very low.
I prefer the SM3s for their bass :)

Mids.

Hmm.. how would i describe this. The ER4 does produce a good midrange, with good amounts of clarity.
The SM3s on the other hand feels more smooth and liquid, and it definitely sounds more full.
On a personal note, i'd go for the SM3s for their richer and fuller sound.
However, if i were given the er4s, i won't mind =D

Treble.

Ah, the treble on the sm3s are abit rolled off, but not so much till it's recessed.
The SM3s doesn't seem to have have the sheen or brightness of the er4's highs.
I definitely favour the er4 for the treble.

Soundstage & speed.

The SM3s and the ER4s are very much equal in speed, and personally i think the er4 is a wee bit faster due to it's tightness.
For soundstage, the er4 can't match SM3s 3d sound.

Comfort.

I would favour the ER4s for comfort. I have small ears so the sm3's sometimes poke at the side of my ears and it can be quite painful.
The ER4s stick out from my ear but it is definitely much more comfortable.

Conclusion.

Overall, the SM3s win the the ER4s with respect towards the bass, mids and soundstage.
For the treble, comfort and speed, the er4 wins it for me.

Actually, it's a matter of preference on sound.
I prefer a slightly warm-neutral sound, so i'd definitely go for the Sm3s.
My brother prefers a bright-neutral sound.. so he'll go for the er4.

And just to add in..
idk why but i always feel a slightly warmer tone gives an iem more musicality.

These are just my opinions, i hope none of you take it too seriously.
I'm not very good at describing sound, but i tried my best :p

ENJOY YOUR SM3S EVERYBODY!

Thanks for the excellent comparison! I pretty much agree with you on everything. IMO fullness and smoothness are very subjective things and are not an indication of technical superiority. The mids on ER4 just sound real to me, whereas on the SM3 I sometimes felt that certain vocals and instruments sounded a bit too full. In case of vocals, some sounded a bit more chesty than they should to my ears. ER4 doesn't have this problem, although it can sound very dry with some sources. In regards to treble, the SM3 is of very good quality up there and beats out the ER4p IMO, but it's just recessed. Also, I sometimes felt that SM3 wasn't sounding coherent. In fact, I noticed this issue with pretty much every single multi driver IEM. They all lack coherency - some more, others less. With SM3, it's very hard to tell what exactly makes the sound incoherent, but I just feel that there is something not quite right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back