Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Feb 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #571 of 1,687
Thanks for the EQ~ 

I will try that when my sm3 comes 
smile.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #572 of 1,687
Just keep in mind that our audio chains are dissimilar. Try tweaking the settings according to your taste. It took me at least 20 hours of listening and experimenting to arrive at the current setting. It also helps to know which frequencies correspond to which aspects of the music you listen to. For example, attenuating the 7kHz-10kHz frequencies means attenuating sibilance; 120Hz-300Hz-ish range gives body to instruments/vocals; Below 60 Hz is more felt than heard. Airiness is presented past 12kHz-14kHz (maybe even higher, I'm not exactly sure where). Too much of any of any frequencies and things will sound unnatural. Have fun.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #574 of 1,687
They do Rock, Jazz, Piano and small group acoustic music well. For orchestral Classical they're probably too forward/intimate.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #576 of 1,687
I don't listen to either of those much honestly, but I think they also do well in those because of their holographic soundstage and overall technical proficiency (it will keep up with the speed) which those genres tend to portray. It's of course going to be smooth and intimate due to their innate presentation.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #577 of 1,687
I can answer this. They are outstanding. If you listen to Deadmau5's A City in Florida, you will not be disappointed.

If you read reviews on this IEM like the one on anythingbutipod, you'll see that the SM3 tackles trance, specifically, very well.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #578 of 1,687
Mine treats my trance lossless files very well..Even Pop/Dance, I have "The Beginning" by BEP (currently playing "Fashion Beats", very nice) and "One love Special Edition" by David G.

Mostly I like my SM3s on Ballads, they are flawless IMO.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #580 of 1,687
I just got Etymotic ER4 guys and I am really sorry to say this, but to my ears it does everything SM3 does + more and is cheaper. SM3 is great and all, but with the ER4 around, it's just not worth the price IMO. Right now, I am seriously questioning the need for multi driver IEMs. ER4 is more accurate and coherent than any multi driver I've heard.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #582 of 1,687
Feb 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #583 of 1,687
Moving from ER4P to SM3 I have to say that while the ER4P has amazing detail, speed and bass texture, the SM3 easily beats it in balance, soundstage, separation, and bass quantity, while maintaining high (not quite like ER4P, but still excellent) detail and being more easy on the ears. Also, comfort-wise, I find the SM3 better - easier to put on, MUCH better cable and almost non-existent microphonics. SM3 is overall the better earphone and bests the ER4P for a wider range of music genres.

On a sidenote, I haven't heard the ER4S, but if it only improves in highs I would still pick the SM3 overall.

Quote:
I just got Etymotic ER4 guys and I am really sorry to say this, but to my ears it does everything SM3 does + more and is cheaper. SM3 is great and all, but with the ER4 around, it's just not worth the price IMO. Right now, I am seriously questioning the need for multi driver IEMs. ER4 is more accurate and coherent than any multi driver I've heard.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #584 of 1,687

Quote:
Moving from ER4P to SM3 I have to say that while the ER4P has amazing detail, speed and bass texture, the SM3 easily beats it in balance, soundstage, separation, and bass quantity, while maintaining high (not quite like ER4P, but still excellent) detail and being more easy on the ears. Also, comfort-wise, I find the SM3 better - easier to put on, MUCH better cable and almost non-existent microphonics. SM3 is overall the better earphone and bests the ER4P for a wider range of music genres.

Quote:

What exactly makes the SM3 more balanced sounding to your ears? I disagree that SM3 has better separation - I think ER4 separates instruments as well or better and also has a wider soundstage with better separation of stereo channels.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #585 of 1,687

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly makes the SM3 more balanced sounding to your ears? I disagree that SM3 has better separation - I think ER4 separates instruments as well or better and also has a wider soundstage with better separation of stereo channels.

It doesn't emphasize a certain frequency spectrum, like the Ety does with highs. And yes, for me, separation on the SM3 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back