Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #196 of 1,687
Yes, it will some. You are right, give them a chance..

But I want to mention that I didnt liked them with filters, so I pulled them out. I am more satisfied now
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #197 of 1,687
Well mine just arrived. Initial impressions are good. Vocals are beautiful, bass is punchy, no sibilance. Atm with only about 30 minutes on them I am noticing the guitars don't seem to be as nice as my AD900s. They seem even a little recessed.. I'll post further impressions after they've been used a lot more. My RSA Predator should be arriving tomorrow too with a silver/copper cryo LOD so I'll pair them up and see the results.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #198 of 1,687

Quote:
Well mine just arrived. Initial impressions are good. Vocals are beautiful, bass is punchy, no sibilance. Atm with only about 30 minutes on them I am noticing the guitars don't seem to be as nice as my AD900s. They seem even a little recessed.. I'll post further impressions after they've been used a lot more. My RSA Predator should be arriving tomorrow too with a silver/copper cryo LOD so I'll pair them up and see the results.

I don't think the SM3 acts in a fixed manner with particular instruments. My observation is that the instrumental separation the SM3 is best known for neither works in a fixed manner nor randomly: the instrumental placement as inscribed in each recording provides the cue to the SM3 and it positions them in their exact places precisely and beautifully. That's why with the SM3 -in average_joe's great description- we feel we are on the stage with the musicians and not in front of the stage, equally distant from every instrument. I believe the guitars on the recording you mentioned are meant to be a bit laid back and I suppose you will experience a different form of instrumental separation in other recordings.  

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #199 of 1,687

Quote:

I don't think the SM3 acts in a fixed manner with particular instruments. My observation is that the instrumental separation the SM3 is best known for neither works in a fixed manner nor randomly: the instrumental placement as inscribed in each recording provides the cue to the SM3 and it positions them in their exact places precisely and beautifully. That's why with the SM3 -in average_joe's great description- we feel we are on the stage with the musicians and not in front of the stage, equally distant from every instrument. I believe the guitars on the recording you mentioned are meant to be a bit laid back and I suppose you will experience a different form of instrumental separation in other recordings.  

That's quite possible. I was in the middle of adding all my files back onto my ipod after some rearranging and redownloading everything in FLAC/320 and only had 2 albums on at the time. I will have a lot more extensive listening time throughout the week and I will post impressions, probably in a separate review thread with the RSA Predator/LOD/iPhone 3g (or iPod 5.5g).

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #201 of 1,687

Quote:
Yeah guitars are far from recessed lol. These actually are quite balanced. If anything, I do notice is the highs are rolled off a little, at least in this stage of "burn in."

I'm afraid Iphone 3g may not be suitable for listening to every album, for it doesn't have a customizable EQ. Ipod 5.5 on rockbox should simply rock with any album.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #203 of 1,687

Quote:

nice, i just got mine this week also. very impressed with the sound, but had a quick question, did yours include silicon dual-flange tips in the ES box? all the reviews and pics i had seen before i ordered showed only 2 pair of comply tips.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #204 of 1,687
Yes.

Quote:
Quote:

nice, i just got mine this week also. very impressed with the sound, but had a quick question, did yours include silicon dual-flange tips in the ES box? all the reviews and pics i had seen before i ordered showed only 2 pair of comply tips.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #207 of 1,687
Back after a while of pure happiness with my SM3 (modded) and I hate to say this but today, the right earpiece simply came apart without ANY effort. I am very careful with my stuff, and it's the first time an iem break on me (yeah maybe the SF3's connector, too, but it was pure crap anyway).
Not a problem though: when I came back home, I used some super glue to put it back together and they're like new, but hey, this shouldn't happen on 350€ iems.

Just thought it would be fair to share my experience. Other than this, I really LOVE those iems, and they are my favourite by quite a margin (compared to RE-252 and IE8, which I like very much, too).

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #208 of 1,687
I hope that doesn't happen to mine. I don't really take very good care of my IEMs. I'm glad that you fixed the problem easily. Now, back to pure musical enjoyment. :)

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #210 of 1,687
I've had mine for months and months and I can't say I baby them. If they aren't in my ears they are sitting on a bench/windowsill or in my jeans pocket.
Haven't had any breaks yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back