Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Oct 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #31 of 1,687

Quote:
Well Mr. Anaxilus, nice trap... but it won't work this time!  Bwahahaha... 
wink_face.gif

So, here's how I 'hea'r it... The M50, D7000, DT880, DBA-02, etc., are all relatively 'bright' to my ears, but with varying amounts of lower-mids and bass. I really think that the clarity of the upper-mids and highs are the one characteristic that all my favorite cans have in common. I know you think the M50's have good sparkle, and that's what I'm saying... the SM3's did not have that, and so... they're gone. They gotta have the 'crisp'... Added sonority (M50, D7000) just increases the enjoyment. 
L3000.gif

shane

Fair enough.  Bright, but not Cold.  
biggrin.gif
  Not only did the SM3 not have it, neither did the DDM.  Or the 530 for that matter. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #33 of 1,687

Quote:
now that there has been a mod to open up the upper-mids and highs, they might be stellar (I haven't heard them with the mod).

Could you tell me, or link me to a discussion about that mod? I wasn't really following the former SM3 'appreciation' threads, and using Head-Fi's abysmal search function for "SM3 mod" or similar yields no results.

I assume it's that filter mod I saw mentioned in a few posts, but didn't find any specifics. (And it sounds like that would be irreversible anyways.)

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #34 of 1,687

Quote:
I used a sine wave frequency sweep to test the balance.  Most IEMs I have tested are off somewhere in the frequency spectrum, usually at some treble frequencies, usually where there is a peak.  One peak is higher than the other, for example.  These imbalances are usually minor and not detectable most of the time with music, but with the frequency sweep are.  The e-Q7 was different as the bass on one channel was louder than the other, and the treble went back and forth between the two sides.  I eliminated it as a fit issue because when I swapped ears, the channel imbalance would also switch.  The SM3 is harder to swap channels to verify, however.

Although they may be hard to swap channels it's not impossible - and imbalance like I have in my phones received this week is simply huge. If it's a common issue then it clearly suggests a quality control problems - definitely not a good sign

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #36 of 1,687
Based on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485632/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-review-thread-technically-best-universal-see-first-post-for-reviews-and-info#post_6592319

I decided to try ''MC Triple Flange (need spacer)'' as I have fit problems with the standard earbuds from Earsonics and the bi-flangs from Sensorcom as well. On the picture in this thread it says ''Olive core for spacing''. It also has a picture of Olive (regular). 

Quote average_joe: ''I use a Shure olive core as a spacer due to the shape, and these stay on OK.  They have a wide opening.''

Based on this I bought: 
- earbud replacement tips for Monster Beats Dr. Dre Tour N (http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150417821139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)
- replacement tips for SHURE E2c, i2c -B- (http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170514689994&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

I think I found the first Ebay link somewhere in the old SM3 threads. My question is if I bought the right gear. I think I bought the wrong Shure ear tips (explanation later on).

I never knew what a spacer was but I just guessed it was taking an earbud and cutting it off so only the tube remains. You put that on your Earsonics SM3 and then pull/push the Monster Triple Flang over it? But as with the replacement tips I have from Shure they don't provide a fit (because possibly wrong model) on the Earsonics SM3 like the Sensorcom bi-flange does. I know average_joe said ''they fit OK'' but the ones I bought fall off immediately. The opening seems to big. If anyone could give me a link with the right tips (for spacing) to buy, and some more info on how this ''spacing'' works I would really appreciate it. Tripple flang has proven the best fit for me so far. I also ordered tripple flangs from Sensorcom so I'll give those a try, as I liked the sound from the bi-flange but hated it how they kept popping out. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #37 of 1,687

Quote:

Could you tell me, or link me to a discussion about that mod? I wasn't really following the former SM3 'appreciation' threads, and using Head-Fi's abysmal search function for "SM3 mod" or similar yields no results.

I assume it's that filter mod I saw mentioned in a few posts, but didn't find any specifics. (And it sounds like that would be irreversible anyways.)

From a different site...
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=170
 Post #2. It was easier to show it looking up their posts. The full thread does come up with Google search of "Earsonics SM3 filter mod". First link, post #160 in the thread. Interesting for those who are maybe unsure of the SM3's treble/sparkle and true transparency and how it might synergize. There seems to be some adjustment there if you are willing.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #38 of 1,687
@ latent---Well, the links you put up weren't for the Shure olives.  This picture might illustrate things a bit better.  The tips in the background are the olives, the ones in the foreground are the ones like in the link you provided.  The way the olives are constructed is that they have a plastic core with foam that goes around this core.  I think what average_joe was talking about was removing the foam, leaving only the plastic core and then placing the triple flanges over top of this plastic core.  I don't own the sm3 but I have modded tips using the shure olive core (maybe we should dub them the "pit"). I think a bunch of places stock these tips and a quick google search brought up earphone solutions which is a head-fi sponsor I believe.  I'm not sure if they ship to Europe though.   
Hope this helps.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #39 of 1,687
Thanks, Jant71. That indeed sounds rather risky and non-reversible. I guess that procedure should give about the same results as running the Phonak PFE without any filters - increase in sibilance, etc.

Just curious what people are doing to their SM3s - me, I'm perfectly happy with their sound (and Alpine double flange tips).

---

Deadhead12, a blast from the past... can't even remember my SE530 review.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #40 of 1,687
Looks like it might be reversible according to dweaver and violinvirtuoso...http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504607/the-all-new-earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-and-review-thread/1110#post_6906674

This is an informative post as well...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504607/the-all-new-earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-and-review-thread/1080#post_6903131

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #41 of 1,687
While I am not 100% sure I think that the green filter inside of a metal sleeve that is inside of the SM3 nozzle is a Knowles Acoustics acoustic damper.  This one is a 1500 ohm filter of 2mm size.  These can be bought at a number of locations.

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #43 of 1,687

Quote:
Bright but not cold: Klipsch S4 comes to my mind, am I right?
tongue.gif

The S4 has very harsh treble to my ears, I think it is horrid personally.  My ears might be sensitive to treble such as this, which is why I find the treble of the SM3 to be so nice.  I don't think it is lacking, but it isn't bright, it is just right!

Quote:
Has there been any news on anyone reshelling to customs on the SM3? If yes, what were the results?

Yes, there was one person with results somewhere in the original thread.  I think it changed the sound a little bit, but I don't remember exactly.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #44 of 1,687
I'm using that mod, but instead of shure olives, I'm using the Comply Tips cores, which comes along with the SM3.
Works great btw.

DSCF1816CustomCustom.jpg

I don't have my camera on me right now, so I'll just use my cellphone's one.

Zn5_0355Custom.jpg

Quote:
@deadhead12: Thanks mate!  I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back