Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,666 of 1,687
  I am also selling my beloved SM3 as no longer use them because I bought a pair of SE846 I use for now. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/724749

Don't do it man, you'll be sorry for the rest of your life... How can you sell you baby???!!! Haven't heard the SE846 but I just bet it won't sound anything like the SM3
wink_face.gif
. The SM3 is pure magic and always will be. Had a long good session with it tonight and it blows my mind. I love it and always will. Tonight all my other gear feel like mistresses, younger and sexier but the SM3 is the real deal.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,667 of 1,687
Bringing back this old thread because I have a single-side-sound problem on my old SM3 V1s. Earsonics has not replied any of my emails since May and I've gotten my own pair of Westone UM Pro 30 because I couldn't get it repaired in time for a trip.

Anyone know what else I can do? I'm not sure if it's a driver, cable or jack issue. I live in Singapore and bought it from Jaben SG.

Cheers!
Zexun

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,668 of 1,687
Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet and your issues!

If the sm3v1 has a detatchable cable then try swopping out for a spare if you have one, that should eliminate the cable and jack issue.  Also try in another mp3 player/phone if you have one.  Failing that get in touch with Jaben.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,669 of 1,687
just repurchase a SM3 v2.. oh boy how i miss this IEM!!! Many IEMs (IE80, UE900, UM Miracles) come and go but this is what i miss most!!!

plug in a silver cable and Njoy~ Buttterrry smooth

ya when i need smt more musical (bassy) i always can use my ath-clr100 / UM10pro (slightly more bass).. so no complain bout lack of bass here thou

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,673 of 1,687
I`ve had my sm3s on a custom shell and for 3 years now they are A ok. But they`re not getting a lot of headtime now a days.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,674 of 1,687

The left cable broke before the "strain reliefs" because they were stiff they actually increased the strain. I have ordered a set of mmcx female connectors and plan to mod them into removable cable design. I dont trust two pin design because I had a pair of tf10's which were done when one of the pins broke off. With mmcx connectors I can interchange cables with my ue900, I also had the tf10 cable which is a Chris_himself occ silver cable re terminated with mmcx and is being sent back to me right now. Brian at BTG Audio agreed to take a stab at the mod however I like to do stuff myself, if it all works out I would like to use the money I've saved for a DIY occ copper cable !!

I got the idea from the mod done to westone iems: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595343/westone-4-cracked-and-solved

What I worry about right now is a lack of space inside the sm3 shells to fit the mmcx females, opposed to the westone 4's which appear to be quite roomy inside but I am determined to make it work. Stay tuned for updates! (sorry for poor sentences, currently taking a break from completing an assignment)

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,676 of 1,687
  And voila !! Cable entrance hole had to be enlarged for the mmcx connector, and time consuming because of how short the wiring is and the size of the pins on the connector. Revived these after 3-4 months? and are better than I expected !

WOW! Looks great!

Any noticeable change in sound? :D 

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,678 of 1,687
These look sweet.

Makes me question EarSonics's honesty when I requested an upgrade of my v1 to v2 with detachable cable (2-pin, not even mmcx) and they said they cannot guaranteed the end result, and advised me to pay the price difference and get the SM64 instead.

May 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,679 of 1,687
I've been using the sm3 unfiltered for a long time but found sibilance at times with the music i listened to. I bought the knowles 680ohm white, and 330ohm gray filters. White filter solved the sibilance but muffles a bit too much for my taste. Found the grays to be perfect for maintaining the lovely highs and clarity of unfiltered while on the verge of sibilance. Both filters add more impact to the bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back