Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,606 of 1,687
This is not tempting my recent SM3 trade. I want to hear good things, happy things. Lots of members speaking highly about the product and positive experience with customer service please, not bad storys. :eek: I shall report in when my SM3 arrive, but only after 24 hours (possibly more) as these are one of the most contrioversal signatures I have read about on Head-Fi.

I think I can compare the my SM3 experience to 2 great movies...

1. Inception - mind blowing with a lot of different levels...but not everyone will get it the first time.
2. The Others - in the end, you find out you were dead from the beginning....

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,607 of 1,687

1. Inception - mind blowing with a lot of different levels...but not everyone will get it the first time.

This is very reassuring!

Luckily mine are V2, so I think I'll go hang out In that thread away from the danger and horror story's :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,608 of 1,687

This is very reassuring!

Luckily mine are V2, so I think I'll go hang out In that thread away from the danger and horror story's :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,609 of 1,687
H20 I would be VERY surprised if you are disappointed by the sound; the build quality, on the other hand, is atrocious, for both V1 and V2; mine, with which I've had so many problems and spent over $200 in international shipping and repair costs, are V2s like yours, so be careful. My advice: don't tip roll too much and keep them at home in a safe location.
This is not tempting my recent SM3 trade. I want to hear good things, happy things. Lots of members speaking highly about the product and positive experience with customer service please, not bad storys. :eek: I shall report in when my SM3 arrive, but only after 24 hours (possibly more) as these are one of the most contrioversal signatures I have read about on Head-Fi.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,610 of 1,687
i've seen inception 3 times and i think is a horrible movie dreams are not like that, in my opinion its like the shure 535 high budget well done but the sound as the plot is not so good. sm3 are more like clerks low budget outside but great sound

:wink:

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,611 of 1,687
Heheh...Clerks is awesome ^_^

And I agree, Inception is overrated, I think they made it too convoluted; I didn't find it hard to understand plot-wise or in terms of its message/metaphorical content, but the delivery seemed to have an almost obscurantist bent with some places having unnecessary emphasis on irrelevant details...it could have been done better, IMO.
i've seen inception 3 times and i think is a horrible movie dreams are not like that, in my opinion its like the shure 535 high budget well done but the sound as the plot is not so good. sm3 are more like clerks low budget outside but great sound

:wink:

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,612 of 1,687
agree but IMO its the main idea which fails if you are talking about dreams you are talking about a whole different thing...this is kind of matrix of dreams could be VR too, with a lot of stupid rules that the argument tells you again and again to drive you to the next situation its well done but its stupid and tedious too. ask Lynch abouth dreams :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,613 of 1,687
YES I agree, David Lynch is a master of protesting dreams in a realistic context; inception feels forced by comparison. There is too much time IMO wasted trying to explain "how dreams work" etc. One of those cases where they tried to do a bit too much, invent "rules" for their universe that only served to fulfill the plot, rather than actually saying something accessible and insightful about the inner workings if the human psyche.
agree but IMO its the main idea which fails if you are talking about dreams you are talking about a whole different thing...this is kind of matrix of dreams could be VR too, with a lot of stupid rules that the argument tells you again and again to drive you to the next situation its well done but its stupid and tedious too. ask Lynch abouth dreams :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,615 of 1,687
H20 I would be VERY surprised if you are disappointed by the sound; the build quality, on the other hand, is atrocious, for both V1 and V2; mine, with which I've had so many problems and spent over $200 in international shipping and repair costs, are V2s like yours, so be careful. My advice: don't tip roll too much and keep them at home in a safe location.

Well, I should know in a few days, (the sound) I'm rather interested but I'll take everything onboard, Hopefully the stock silicon tips give me a fit and I can leave them on there, none of my expensive gear leaves the house, but I will take extra care with this unit after reading this. Doesn't sound right for a product of this price range though, not accpetable.

Oops....sorry about adding to your horror, but mine are V2 also...

After emailing them, they said my V1s were not repaired and upgraded at all, they were completely replaced by V2.

Danger danger! :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,616 of 1,687
I know the secret to the SM3 longevity....

1. Do not set them on hard surfaces - always have a foam pad close by.
2. NEVER put them in your pocket, unless it inside a hardshell case lined with foam.
----If you decide to put them in your pocket, and you don't have a case...try not to move.
3. When listening, listen to Diana Krall and Radka Toneff only. Listening to Gangnam style will run the risk of them falling apart due to excessive head-bobbing.
4. When not in use, always put inside a drawer with silica gel away from sunlight. - try not to talk so loud as vibrations may dislodge the drivers.

For safety reasons...if you own an SM3, even if you are not using them....

Never run/swim/lift weights/fly a plane/fight in the UFC/MMA. Even if you have the SM3s locked inside a vault, thinking about how fragile they are will make you lose focus and and end up getting hurt.

This was meant to be humorous, but I find myself getting more miserable when reading what I posted...

Don't get me wrong....they sound like Christmas in a box. But what a fragile little box they are....what's worse, is the lack of support and care from customer service.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,617 of 1,687
Well I finally took the filters out and I'm glad I did because the highs have almost just the right amount of sparkle.  Now mids aren't as dark and it didn't hurt the soundstage at all imo, I don't know why they even put the filters in there in the first place.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,618 of 1,687
Quote:
Well I finally took the filters out and I'm glad I did because the highs have almost just the right amount of sparkle.  Now mids aren't as dark and it didn't hurt the soundstage at all imo, I don't know why they even put the filters in there in the first place.

I found that without the filters, some songs that I listened to had a little too much sparkle and harshness from the treble while others had just the right amount or just enough. Basically it was really subjective as to which song and which genre you're listening to in my experience. In a way it makes sense,... well sort of since the sound of the SM3s are like a chameleon anyhow. So maybe the filters are there for the sake of consistency? That's just my uninformed guess.. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,619 of 1,687
I haven't had any sibilance or harshness from the treble at all and I think they sound much better now without filter I just wish I would have done it sooner but I didn't want the sound signature to change much and imo it really hasn't.  They're brighter now and the mids don't sound quite as dark and even the bass sounds a bit cleaner but what I didn't want to happen was lose any of the soundstage and 3D imaging and luckily it didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back