EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,113 of 2,831
Here's a thought. Stop advertising them :) I can't handle more purchases. i should stop coming to this thread so often and not come back until my remolded customs arrive.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,114 of 2,831

Quote:
@ ericp , hello buddy are you still impressed with the SM3s ,any more thoughts on them ?

Nah, he sold them w/ the 700's and DDM's.  He has the JH3A+16 on the way right now.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #1,115 of 2,831

Quote:
^ Good for you Eric! Have you received your E7 yet? My Sflo2 coming in a few days' time. Don't know why, the Ipod can drive the FX well enough, but for the SM3 it is really underpowering it. The magic only starts to show on higher volume. On lower volume though I feel that the Ipod is short changing the SM3.

The sm3 scales up really well with the more power you feed it , when amped it really opens up and will flex its mussels and shows what it is truly capable off.
popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,116 of 2,831

Quote:
@ ericp , hello buddy are you still impressed with the SM3s ,any more thoughts on them ?

Hello @ luco buddy. Yes, even more impressed than I was yesterday, but these buggers are very tip dependent - more so than any other IEM I've ever owned. They sound amazing man! Still, I love the sound sigs of the FX700 and DDM and will keep them, well that's how I feel right now...lol. But technically, I haven't one universal - I've heard all the top tier universals except the Westones I believe - that can beat them, including my beloved e-Q7 and MD (this is really true if you have the right tips and deep seal). 

A nameless head-fier is sending me his DBA to compare to the SM3 @ luco. I think only then will I give further details thoughts on the SM3 (perhaps in a week or two). But considering the SM3 is only $35 more than the FX700 (not counting shipping), it's a real value for such an expensive IEM.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,118 of 2,831

Quote:
Nah, he sold them w/ the 700's and DDM's.  He has the JH3A+16 on the way right now.

LMAO @ Anaxilus..You know what? Sometimes I forget this is head-fi.org and think it's www.global-comedy.com. LOL

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #1,119 of 2,831

Quote:
Here's a thought. Stop advertising them :) I can't handle more purchases. i should stop coming to this thread so often and not come back until my remolded customs arrive.

rawster, buddy, you better pray that no head-fi offers to let you listen to the SM3, or I'm willing to bet money you will dig up some money to purchase them. I fought and fought  and fought myself. Luco made me peek hard at the SM3, but after search and cn11 fell, I had a feeling that SM3 might hook me out of curiosity alone. Better yet, you should just take the plunge @ rawster. If you don't like the SM3, I will scrape up my pennies and buy it from you so I will have a second pair. But I am 99.5 percent that once you hear them you will keep them. I wanted to dismiss as hype too, but it's not buddy, unfortunately for wallets. And I'm willing to bet that this universal can compete with some customs. There is a thread where one high-end customs owner (I forget which one) actually says the SM3 is better than his custom.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #1,120 of 2,831
 Told you they sounded amazing buddy , glad you are enjoying them and look forward to your comparison with the dba. 

You keep telling yourself that you will be keeping the ddms and fx700 if you want too my friend, but we who have come to know you do not  believe  this for one minute .lol  
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Hello @ luco buddy. Yes, even more impressed than I was yesterday, but these buggers are very tip dependent - more so than any other IEM I've ever owned. They sound amazing man! Still, I love the sound sigs of the FX700 and DDM and will keep them, well that's how I feel right now...lol. But technically, I haven't one universal - I've heard all the top tier universals except the Westones I believe - that can beat them, including my beloved e-Q7 and MD (this is really true if you have the right tips and deep seal). 

A nameless head-fier is sending me his DBA to compare to the SM3 @ luco. I think only then will I give further details thoughts on the SM3 (perhaps in a week or two). But considering the SM3 is only $35 more than the FX700 (not counting shipping), it's a real value for such an expensive IEM.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #1,121 of 2,831
@eric: Who says I'll accept the offer if someone offers to loan them to me! well..actually it would be pretty hard to say not but I've been very good at not buying earphones after getting a loan. I'll need to scrape a lot of pennies to actually be able to afford these however as I just did spend quite a bit already so that means I'll have to sell my e-Q7 at the minimum which I don't plan on doing right now.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,122 of 2,831
I understand rawrster.. It was so hard to let the e-Q7 go, and still kind of miss it regardless of the SM3 being better. Again, it had it's own unique character.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #1,123 of 2,831
Reading this thread just get me more frustrated.
frown.gif

Ordered mine on 07.06 and the colissimo site stills has that annoying "your parcel is getting ready to leave the country of origin" message since 13.06!
Earsonics shipped them only 3 days after the order because of the changing of plastic composition of the shell, but still, i really don't understand how @eric got them
already in the US ordered on the 10, and here in EU not, go figure?
I think he might have been to France..did you Eric?
lolol

Now, let's go to sleep!

[Oh..wait...i know why Eric got them faster! It was to increase earsonics sales with it's writing skills and to extend my agony!]

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,124 of 2,831
I think if I do get these I'll have to make a decision not anytime soon but more like months from now. I don't plan on another phone (I got 3 capable ones and a customs soonish) I plan on upgrading my source to a better one than the uDAC. I'll also wait since a couple months is a better indication of how capable than what it is at now. Also I'll have to see how xjays does as well. Even though I'm not one of those more is better 4 drivers in a universal is definitely interesting so hopefully who has the SM3 gets that as well in the future :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,125 of 2,831

Quote:
I understand rawrster.. It was so hard to let the e-Q7 go, and still kind of miss it regardless of the SM3 being better. Again, it had it's own unique character.

++ I also miss my e-Q7 for this reason. Its sound signature was just more exciting for me with rock music than the SM3 neutral sig. I also miss my RE0 for its wonderful treble and clarity that is there even at low volumes - the SM3 doesn't sound quite as exciting at low volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back