EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,082 of 2,831
Hmm, 6 hours straight of listening, no discomfort whatsoever. But still it does not completely disappear when lying on the side. I'd imagine not many earphone can reach this level of comfort. Much more comfortable than Etymotic I have.

Eric buddy, I tried using the Monster supertips, but weirdly, I can't never get a proper fit on my left ear. Seems like the SM3 is mated with the triple flange for me.

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,083 of 2,831

Quote:
Have you tried putting foam inside the PFE tip like dfkt did?

Speaking of music, Thriller came on and the what a treat the coffin opening and closing was!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371737/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiii/5685#post_6714041

Apparently he did even more than that. dfkt describes the franken-tips as "Phonak PFE tips on Shure Olive inner tubes, stuffed with punctured drug store hearing protectors."

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,084 of 2,831
Thank you @ anomalouscode

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371737/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiii/5685#post_6714041

Apparently he did even more than that. dfkt describes the franken-tips as "Phonak PFE tips on Shure Olive inner tubes, stuffed with punctured drug store hearing protectors."

Yeah, I would have to see photos of that @ average_joe and JxK.

@ koonhua: yes buddy, different tips work for different ears. It's the longer extra large Monsters that is doing it for me. I can't believe, but I can get a pretty good deep seal with them.. My canals must stretch from medium to x-large...lol

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #1,085 of 2,831
It's a shame you didn't post your impressions a bit earlier. I could have sent you some extra olive cores just to get rid of them. I remember taking them out and keeping them for some reason. I don't even know why I have them really as they have been in an altoids can for months. It's a good thing you found your tip of choice so early since that's typically the most frustrating part when getting a new earphone in the mail.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #1,086 of 2,831

Oh, send those cores anytime @ rawster buddy. I'm in no rush, but I could use a couple more pairs. Yeah, I'm between the Monster hybrids and the double silicons that came with it. Wit the right insertion they have enough bass and a wider soundstage. But if I want more of a dynamic sound I go straight to the Monster. I think I'm going to order some large Shure olives and some silicon tips that cn11 recommended. These have wonderful sound. They get better and better very quickly.
Quote:
It's a shame you didn't post your impressions a bit earlier. I could have sent you some extra olive cores just to get rid of them. I remember taking them out and keeping them for some reason. I don't even know why I have them really as they have been in an altoids can for months. It's a good thing you found your tip of choice so early since that's typically the most frustrating part when getting a new earphone in the mail.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,087 of 2,831
I can no longer withstand the temptation and had placed an order for the SM3. Want to hear if it is really leaps and bounds ahead of MTPC. If so, I will have little regret selling the MTPC. Will miss its build and bling though
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #1,088 of 2,831
I dunno if I'm just Mr Average, but I have absolutely zero problem with the stock double silicones. I've tried different combinations of foam, hybrids, spacers here, spacers there, standing on one leg and pointing North, but ultimately I'm constantly drawn back to those little white things that came in the box.  Wearing over the ear, fit and isolation are perfect for my ears, comfort is such a non-issue its laughable, and the sound is simply phenomenal. 

Listening to 'Brother' by The Black Keys this morning, I was struck by just how brilliantly deep and impactful the bass reverb is with these phones, not to mention the all-absorbing sense of space and 3-dimensionality.

For me, SM3 is the perfect universal iem. I owe Audiosonic a pint for making them, and all you wonderful geeks and freaks in here for promoting them.  Ta very much like.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #1,091 of 2,831

Quote:
I dunno if I'm just Mr Average, but I have absolutely zero problem with the stock double silicones. I've tried different combinations of foam, hybrids, spacers here, spacers there, standing on one leg and pointing North, but ultimately I'm constantly drawn back to those little white things that came in the box.  Wearing over the ear, fit and isolation are perfect for my ears, comfort is such a non-issue its laughable, and the sound is simply phenomenal. 

Listening to 'Brother' by The Black Keys this morning, I was struck by just how brilliantly deep and impactful the bass reverb is with these phones, not to mention the all-absorbing sense of space and 3-dimensionality.

For me, SM3 is the perfect universal iem. I owe Audiosonic a pint for making them, and all you wonderful geeks and freaks in here for promoting them.  Ta very much like.

Yes @ Bennyboy71, I still like my Monster hybrid foam mod, but you are right in stating that the double flanges work well too. I went back to those last night and this morning. But I did order the Shure large olives  and the large transparent Jays silicons that cn11  rave about (well, he has the black version). I am one that likes to shape the sound differently from time to time even within the same  earphone, so a variety of tips will be put to use. The Monster tips mod, however, put me closest to the wonderful deep bass lower-mids sound that I get from dynamic IEMs. It also brings the mid-vocal more upfront. It is true that these earphones are very shapable in preferred sound depending on tips.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #1,092 of 2,831
the first time I hear this much details,
the first time I feel the music is alive,
the first time I picture a concert in front of me,
the first time I can immerse in a musical world,
the first time I fall in love........
.......with a pair of earphones

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #1,093 of 2,831
If eric is starting to like these better than his previous gear it's over..people need to be real confident in what they have before coming in here and getting tempted to buy these :p

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #1,094 of 2,831

Quote:
the first time I hear this much details,
the first time I feel the music is alive,
the first time I picture a concert in front of me,
the first time I can immerse in a musical world,
the first time I fall in love........
.......with a pair of earphones

What a lovely poem. The SM3 is truly the choice for all discerning versifiers
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #1,095 of 2,831

Quote:
If eric is starting to like these better than his previous gear it's over..people need to be real confident in what they have before coming in here and getting tempted to buy these :p

LOL @ rawrster. That's a complicated statement man. Since entering into this hobby I have liked newer items over previous gear - just part of wanting advanced technology for the ultimate sound. At the same time, however, I am not one of the mindset to just abandon something because the next thing looks or sounds better. For example, I love bass along with quality sound. At one time I had the ES530, e-Q7 and HF5. I enjoyed the analytical sound of the HF5 although it didn't have enough bass for me. But I didn't abandon it. I kept it around for the longest. I never sought to sell my ES530. I thought it was pretty decent but just kind of outgrew it, so I gave to a friend who need an high-end earphone.

My point is that no matter if I have the most technically advanced piece of equipment or how fancy a new Italian cut suit is, I will occasionally want to play that old scratchy vinyl lp or slip into those old worn comfortable jeans.

Some people are betting that I will be ready to give up on the DDM or FX700 after a few weeks with the SM3. As marvelous as this IEM is, I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen. Why? Am I just being stubborn and not wanting to admit this is far more superior than those two earphones? No, that's not the reason at all. It's just that the DDM and FX700 offer me something that the SM3 doesn't, albeit both aren't nearly as perfect as the SM3. I said this in a earlier post and know I will stick to it. I love the unique layered sound of the DDM. I love the unique timbre of the all wood driver in the FX700. They both reproduce sounds I enjoy, blemishes and all. It's almost akin to to why some audiophiles enjoy listening to reel-to-reel despite of the perfection in sound they can get with digital recordings now and DA converters. Sometimes something can be a bit too perfect if this makes any sense.

So I'll enjoy the SM3 as I would enjoy being out on a date with a supermodel if you will. But the FX700 and DDM are like a woman who may not be perfect based on society's standards, but yet I still enjoy her company, her smile and her conversation. Something about being with her makes me smile and feel relax, imperfections and all. Sometimes you want that instead of the supermodel and everyone gawking at her and wondering, "Why is she with him?" ....lol. Get my point buddy? It's good to have options...lol.

The only way I would consider getting rid of the FX700 or the DDM at this point is if newer models of those two came out improving upon the sound, yet maintaining its basic sound characteristics that I've come to love so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back