EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,096 of 2,831
Taking the analogy a step further, the DDMs look and sound like a dirty talking, chain smoking, wise-cracking bird from the 1970s , whereas the SM3 are the customisable sex robots of the future.

Quote:
LOL @ rawrster. That's a complicated statement man. Since entering into this hobby I have liked newer items over previous gear - just part of wanting advanced technology for the ultimate sound. At the same time, however, I am not one of the mindset to just abandon something because the next thing looks or sounds better. For example, I love bass along with quality sound. At one time I had the ES530, e-Q7 and HF5. I enjoyed the analytical sound of the HF5 although it didn't have enough bass for me. But I didn't abandon it. I kept it around for the longest. I never sought to sell my ES530. I thought it was pretty decent but just kind of outgrew it, so I gave to a friend who need an high-end earphone.

My point is that no matter if I have the most technically advanced piece of equipment or how fancy a new Italian cut suit is, I will occasionally want to play that old scratchy vinyl lp or slip into those old worn comfortable jeans.

Some people are betting that I will be ready to give up on the DDM or FX700 after a few weeks with the SM3. As marvelous as this IEM is, I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen. Why? Am I just being stubborn and not wanting to admit this is far more superior than those two earphones? No, that's not the reason at all. It's just that the DDM and FX700 offer me something that the SM3 doesn't, albeit both aren't nearly as perfect as the SM3. I said this in a earlier post and know I will stick to it. I love the unique layered sound of the DDM. I love the unique timbre of the all wood driver in the FX700. They both reproduce sounds I enjoy, blemishes and all. It's almost akin to to why some audiophiles enjoy listening to reel-to-reel despite of the perfection in sound they can get with digital recordings now and DA converters. Sometimes something can be a bit too perfect if this makes any sense.

So I'll enjoy the SM3 as I would enjoy being out on a date with a supermodel if you will. But the FX700 and DDM are like a woman who may not be perfect based on society's standards, but yet I still enjoy her company, her smile and her conversation. Something about being with her makes me smile and feel relax, imperfections and all. Sometimes you want that instead of the supermodel and everyone gawking at her and wondering, "Why is she with him?" ....lol. Get my point buddy? It's good to have options...lol.

The only way I would consider getting rid of the FX700 or the DDM at this point is if newer models of those two came out improving upon the sound, yet maintaining its basic sound characteristics that I've come to love so much.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #1,097 of 2,831
You crack me up Bennyboy...LOL @ you and your analogies. Pure genius...lol.
jecklinsmile.gif

Quote:
Taking the analogy a step further, the DDMs look and sound like a dirty talking, chain smoking, wise-cracking bird from the 1970s , whereas the SM3 are the customisable sex robots of the future.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,099 of 2,831

Quote:
So the SM3 is Elin Nordegren, and the others are all cocktail waitresses

I'm not that harsh on the DDM knubble. But the Radius certainly looks cheesy enough to have come out of the '70s. You know those cheesy looking Koss headphones could push out some sound back in the day. To me the DDMs are more like that on steroids x 5 (no, not saying the DDM sounds like Koss before people get these analogies all confused in their brains).

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,100 of 2,831
So question out of curiosity: Where is the third driver? I see two for certain, but where (or which) is the third driver? Just wondering.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,102 of 2,831

Quote:
So question out of curiosity: Where is the third driver? I see two for certain, but where (or which) is the third driver? Just wondering.

One driver should be below the smaller driver. I saw a huge driver, presumably for the bass. Then the tiny driver, presumably for the treble. As for mid frequency there is another driver under the small one.

Although as great as it is, having sm3 does not diminish my interest of getting the JH3A, not the slightest 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,103 of 2,831

Quote:

It could be that 2 drivers are set back to back giving an appearance of one large driver. I know that is how it looks in a couple of my custom iems.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,104 of 2,831

Quote:

It could be that 2 drivers are set back to back giving an appearance of one large driver. I know that is how it looks in a couple of my custom iems.

If you look at the side where the strain relief is, you should be able to see that it is indeed a huge driver there. But I don't really care actually, big driver or tiny driver or no driver. I want to just listen to music. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,107 of 2,831
Thank you @ koonhua and Rip N' Burn. No big deal, was just curious.

Now, I just had my first truly What!! moment with the SM3 listening to Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" through my 16 gb ipod Nano connected to a Fiio E5 amplifier through a Fiio LOD cable. I mean the the 3-D imaging, instrument separation and various soundstage widths with these IEMs are just staggering! Holy Cow! (as the late great Chicago Cubs' baseball announcer Harry Carey would say).

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #1,108 of 2,831
^ Good for you Eric! Have you received your E7 yet? My Sflo2 coming in a few days' time. Don't know why, the Ipod can drive the FX well enough, but for the SM3 it is really underpowering it. The magic only starts to show on higher volume. On lower volume though I feel that the Ipod is short changing the SM3.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,110 of 2,831

Quote:
^ Good for you Eric! Have you received your E7 yet? My Sflo2 coming in a few days' time. Don't know why, the Ipod can drive the FX well enough, but for the SM3 it is really underpowering it. The magic only starts to show on higher volume. On lower volume though I feel that the Ipod is short changing the SM3.

I thought my iPod did okay with an amp @ koonhua, but I generally have the Fiio 5 when playing the iPod. The E7 - according to Hong Kong Post - was on an airplane to the states on June 13th. The U.S. Post says it's waiting for it to be dispatched. So one is wrong. I would place the bet on the U.S. Post, because while China take a minute to send things out, the U.S. Post is slow about electronically updating where packages ares. So I guess that's the long way of saying I haven't gotten it yet but feel it is close @ koonhua.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back