EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2,536 of 2,831
For people who have custom tips with their SM3, does the custom tip make the body of the SM3 stick out more than with a universal tip (such as the comply tips). Because right now, the body of the SM3 is already stretching out a little bit and not fully snug with my ear because I have small ears, so I was wondering if getting custom tips for the SM3 will make the body stick out even more.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2,537 of 2,831
Man I really want these but build quality has me so worried

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #2,538 of 2,831
I had the SM3s and used UM56s custom sleeves, and for me, yes the body of the IEM stuck out quite a bit more (they were snug with universal triple flange tips). But I had the same issues with the UM3X and the W2. As a result, I found the custom tips, while the best sounding, to be uncomfortable for long-term use. Just my experience.

Quote:
For people who have custom tips with their SM3, does the custom tip make the body of the SM3 stick out more than with a universal tip (such as the comply tips). Because right now, the body of the SM3 is already stretching out a little bit and not fully snug with my ear because I have small ears, so I was wondering if getting custom tips for the SM3 will make the body stick out even more.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2,539 of 2,831

Quote:
I had the SM3s and used UM56s custom sleeves, and for me, yes the body of the IEM stuck out quite a bit more (they were snug with universal triple flange tips). But I had the same issues with the UM3X and the W2. As a result, I found the custom tips, while the best sounding, to be uncomfortable for long-term use. Just my experience.

Mine doesn't stick out, as I asked for low profile tips after hearing the problems that Slaters70 was facing.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #2,542 of 2,831

Quote:
Mine is the UM56 that I got from Westone. After seeing the custom tips, I don't think getting it from Earsonics will make much difference in sound. I think the material you choose will affect the sound more.

I understand that. The reason I asked was because you asked for a low-profile tip from Westone, I was wondering if the same can be requested from EarSonics.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #2,543 of 2,831

Quote:
@meuroglys .I won't comment on sm3 as I don't own them,but I just wanted to say that you should hunt down anyone
That owns sm3 and zune and asks about the combination.zune is warm
And bassy(but not too bassy) and hissy because of the hard drive spinning
which may drive you crazy if sm3 is sensitive and you listen at low volumes.I didn't like the zune with the ie8 or ck10 because of hissing and the warm sound of it which is not suitable for the dark ie8 and it took away the clarity of ck10.I hope someone having the zune can chime in and help you.

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't considered that. However I never found Zune 120 to be warm. In fact it's just a tiny bit trebly or thin for my tastes. Recently I have ventured into vinyl rips and man now I am enjoying the music. You know, vinyl rips of my classic albums finally sound fuller and more airy. But I'm not talking about the Zune only; with every device including the home and car stereos the great, full (the pun intended) sound of the vinyl rips make every cd sound thin to me.... What I'm trying to say is that I now know that I'm looking for a full, airy IEM that could make even the cds that now sound thinny to me shine too...

Back to Zune... I'm currently using a cheap but surprisingly not-bad earbud. And I'm a rocker. That means my volume nob is always at maximum: 20/20. In silent environments I turn the volume down to 14/20. However being able to listen to music at much lower volumes is one of the reasons I'm planing to buy an IEM, so...

I have no idea what type of sources would get along well with the SM3, and which ones wouldn't, and which category Zune 120 falls. So any help is appreciated... I opened a thread concerning this btw...

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #2,544 of 2,831
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that I now know that I'm looking for a full, airy IEM that could make even the cds that now sound thinny to me shine too...

Quote:
meurglys0 said:

And I like detail, so the "recessed" treble on the SM3 is making me have second thoughts about buying it...

The SM3 are full sounding with good bass and rich mids, yet at the same time quite airy, so they would fit your bill. As for your concerns about recessed treble, this only means that bass and mids are somewhat more forward and fuller in comparison, but you won't lose any treble detail with the SM3. If anything this kind of mid-centric sound signature is usually more forgiving with older recordings than brighter phones.

I've listened to some Genesis and Jade Warrior albums and the SM3 sounded pretty good with that stuff.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,545 of 2,831

Quote:

The SM3 are full sounding with good bass and rich mids, yet at the same time quite airy, so they would fit your bill. As for your concerns about recessed treble, this only means that bass and mids are somewhat more forward and fuller in comparison, but you won't lose any treble detail with the SM3. If anything this kind of mid-centric sound signature is usually more forgiving with older recordings than brighter phones.

I've listened to some Genesis and Jade Warrior albums and the SM3 sounded pretty good with that stuff.

Zune 120 doesn't have an equalizer. Do you think that would be a problem?

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #2,547 of 2,831
I have listened to my SM3 flat since I have had them and have not felt any strong need to EQ them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #2,548 of 2,831
Been experimenting with the SM3 today vs. the FX700. The FX700 has several hundred hours of burn in now and has come into it's own quite a bit now. Today, for the first time, I used the UE clear silicon tips on the FX700 (I usually use the Monster foam/silicon hybrids). And while I lost a little bass (not much), the mids and treble really shined with the UEs. I finally see somewhat of James point in the highs not being as recessed in the FX700 as in the SM3 (although I also think the recess part is simply because the SM3's mids are so forward).

Well, here it is, I am beginning to think the FX700 is even closer than I thought before in sonic and technical quality to the SM3. The big rub is just different sound sigs, but some things the FX700 does better than the SM3 and vice versa. The reason I decided to look into this now is because I have been receiving a lot of emails from new headfiesr wanting to know is it worth it to buy the SM3, the FX700 or DDM. The DDM is great, but I'll leave it out of the equation for now, because it's not on the level technically as the FX700 and SM3 in my opinion (fun-wise, yes, but technically, no).

So, I basically used select songs from Lenny Kravitz, Sting's new symphonic album, and a couple of Ben Harper tracks in comparing the SM3 and FX700. Yes, the SM3 gives a more fuller sound in some of the tracks and greater headstage, but the FX700 beat the SM3 in space on just about all of the Sting symphonic tracks (space and airiness). The SM3 handles acoustic guitar better than the FX700 on Kravitz' and Harper's tracks, but electric guitars seem to have more natural sizzle and space between notes in the FX700s. Bass is a toss up, because both are nice and detailed, but this is where sound sigs. really take over in both. The FX700 sounds richer and more natural, but there tend to be more sonic qualities and details in the SM3. But James is right for the most part (I was wrong); there seems to be more clarity of sound in the FX700 in most songs I sampled today - not all but most. Treble is also more sparkly in the FX700 than the SM3, but I think there are more micro details in the Earsonics (not a runaway train amount of micro details however).

Vocals-wise, hands down the SM3 wins. When it comes to vocals, the SM3 is approaching almost analytical quality. The FX700's vocal are very good, but can't compete with the SM3. Ironically, the DDM's vocals comes closer to competing with the SM3 than the FX700. This is the magical part of the DDM's unique layered sound.

So if I had to think of a dynamic driver that pretty much matches up with the BA of the SM3, I would have to say hands down the FX700 matches up the best out of all the ones I've heard. To answer those who have asked is the FX700 worth getting over DDM at about $160 more, I say yes. But if $160 is really all your budget will allow, get the DDM. You won't be disappointed.

Now, the harder question is whether the SM3 is worth paying more than FX700? Now if you live in the USA, this question becomes even more complex because the Earsonics and JVC IEMs are virtually the same price thanks to a new U.S. Earsonics distributor.

Hmmmm?  To me it comes down to sound sig. and whether you are a dynamic driver or BA driver lover. The all wood driver in the FX700 just has a natural timbre to me that can't be duplicated in a BA. The SM3 comes close but not quite there. On the other hand, the SM3 does some things technically brilliantly (such as its surround sound-like qualities) that the FX700 can't touch. Oh I just thought of something: in the Lenny Kravitz song "Are You Gonna Go My Way," various Lenny verses feed into the right channel, then the left channel and so on and so on. The FX700 does a better job of allowing my ears to hear which channel the vocals are being fed into - with lots of space - than the SM3 does. Just a sidenote of something I thought was interesting. Anyway, I would say get both if you can afford it. If not, and you can only afford one: well, I can't wholeheartedly endorse the SM3 over the FX700 anymore at this stage of the JVC's burn in. Let me make it clear, however, that my opinion about the SM3 hasn't changed. If anything, I appreciate the FX700 more and raise it almost even with the SM3. If I add build quality in as a factor, however, I would have to deduct points from the SM3. The FX700 is built like a tank compared to the SM3, but I do believe Earsonics will address these issues in the near future. So, technically, the SM3 has a little edge over the FX700, but if you're a dynamic driver lover it really doesn't matter.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,549 of 2,831
Nice update Eric!!  So what you are trying to say is go for the Shure 425s then.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #2,550 of 2,831

Quote:
Been experimenting with the SM3 today vs. the FX700. The FX700 has several hundred hours of burn in now and has come into it's own quite a bit now. Today, for the first time, I used the UE clear silicon tips on the FX700 (I usually use the Monster foam/silicon hybrids). And while I lost a little bass (not much), the mids and treble really shined with the UEs. I finally see somewhat of James point in the highs not being as recessed in the FX700 as in the SM3 (although I also think the recess part is simply because the SM3's mids are so forward).

Well, here it is, I am beginning to think the FX700 is even closer than I thought before in sonic and technical quality to the SM3. The big rub is just different sound sigs, but some things the FX700 does better than the SM3 and vice versa. The reason I decided to look into this now is because I have been receiving a lot of emails from new headfiesr wanting to know is it worth it to buy the SM3, the FX700 or DDM. The DDM is great, but I'll leave it out of the equation for now, because it's not on the level technically as the FX700 and SM3 in my opinion (fun-wise, yes, but technically, no).

So, I basically used select songs from Lenny Kravitz, Sting's new symphonic album, and a couple of Ben Harper tracks in comparing the SM3 and FX700. Yes, the SM3 gives a more fuller sound in some of the tracks and greater headstage, but the FX700 beat the SM3 in space on just about all of the Sting symphonic tracks (space and airiness). The SM3 handles acoustic guitar better than the FX700 on Kravitz' and Harper's tracks, but electric guitars seem to have more natural sizzle and space between notes in the FX700s. Bass is a toss up, because both are nice and detailed, but this is where sound sigs. really take over in both. The FX700 sounds richer and more natural, but there tend to be more sonic qualities and details in the SM3. But James is right for the most part (I was wrong); there seems to be more clarity of sound in the FX700 in most songs I sampled today - not all but most. Treble is also more sparkly in the FX700 than the SM3, but I think there are more micro details in the Earsonics (not a runaway train amount of micro details however).

Vocals-wise, hands down the SM3 wins. When it comes to vocals, the SM3 is approaching almost analytical quality. The FX700's vocal are very good, but can't compete with the SM3. Ironically, the DDM's vocals comes closer to competing with the SM3 than the FX700. This is the magical part of the DDM's unique layered sound.

So if I had to think of a dynamic driver that pretty much matches up with the BA of the SM3, I would have to say hands down the FX700 matches up the best out of all the ones I've heard. To answer those who have asked is the FX700 worth getting over DDM at about $160 more, I say yes. But if $160 is really all your budget will allow, get the DDM. You won't be disappointed.

Now, the harder question is whether the SM3 is worth paying more than FX700? Now if you live in the USA, this question becomes even more complex because the Earsonics and JVC IEMs are virtually the same price thanks to a new U.S. Earsonics distributor.

Hmmmm?  To me it comes down to sound sig. and whether you are a dynamic driver or BA driver lover. The all wood driver in the FX700 just has a natural timbre to me that can't be duplicated in a BA. The SM3 comes close but not quite there. On the other hand, the SM3 does some things technically brilliantly (such as its surround sound-like qualities) that the FX700 can't touch. Oh I just thought of something: in the Lenny Kravitz song "Are You Gonna Go My Way," various Lenny verses feed into the right channel, then the left channel and so on and so on. The FX700 does a better job of allowing my ears to hear which channel the vocals are being fed into - with lots of space - than the SM3 does. Just a sidenote of something I thought was interesting. Anyway, I would say get both if you can afford it. If not, and you can only afford one: well, I can't wholeheartedly endorse the SM3 over the FX700 anymore at this stage of the JVC's burn in. Let me make it clear, however, that my opinion about the SM3 hasn't changed. If anything, I appreciate the FX700 more and raise it almost even with the SM3. If I add build quality in as a factor, however, I would have to deduct points from the SM3. The FX700 is built like a tank compared to the SM3, but I do believe Earsonics will address these issues in the near future. So, technically, the SM3 has a little edge over the FX700, but if you're a dynamic driver lover it really doesn't matter.

Nice comparison. I sincerely echo those words underlined up there. SM3 has a 3D imaging, putting you at the spot where the mic should be, but FX puts you in the seat of audience, and where SM3 is great at portraying intimacy and accuracy, FX is great at portraying sheer dynamic and power. The soundstage on SM3 can be wide, and can be small, depending on the songs, but at times where extreme distance is required, the FX has the ability to push that boundary. As I have mentioned quite a few times before, the vocal is always the limelight on the SM3, while on the FX the focus is the whole presentation. Indeed, like what you said there is more microdetails on the SM3, but the thing that always grasp my attention is how sweet is the vocal presentation. The texture of human voice....it's that ooooh feeling.

Time and time again, whenever I hear acoustic guitar or similar instruments on FX, it always gives me that intense feeling of satisfaction, coined eargasm. Now, the SM3 is great with its speed and accuracy, but I prefer the timbre of the FX. That reverberation of string instrument out of that tiny 10mm wooden driven....it's just the ooooh feeling. I tried to look for that sound of acoustic instrument on the SM3, but it's nowhere to be found.

The treble is more forward on the FX, but never sounding harsh to my ear. Weirdly, it's less fatiguing on the FX than the SM3, as there are times where I notice that slightly metallic sibilance. Whereas on the FX it's smoother, at least, to my ears. Perhaps since it's vented. 

Bass on the FX depends more on the source as compared to bass on the SM3. I never knew this before I got my sflo2 and t3d. Now that I have another cmoy amp from Japan, I find that the FX scales better than the SM3 with better source. Especially the bass. It's pretty good straight out of Ipod, but with something as tiny as the T3D, it showed me what visceral mean. But without amping the sm3 comes ahead. With amping, I find them equal. Just different flavor. If you are looking for that thumping feeling, earphones with dynamic driver like FX is better at giving you that.

And here I am hoping to get my custom earphone soon....I really want to see how the sm3 will fare against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back