EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2,551 of 2,831

I can't get the hang of quoting parts of the same post, so I'm posting my responses in blue
smile.gif

Quote:
So, I basically used select songs from Lenny Kravitz, Sting's new symphonic album, and a couple of Ben Harper tracks in comparing the SM3 and FX700. Yes, the SM3 gives a more fuller sound in some of the tracks and greater headstage, but the FX700 beat the SM3 in space on just about all of the Sting symphonic tracks (space and airiness). The SM3 handles acoustic guitar better than the FX700 on Kravitz' and Harper's tracks,

That's interesting eric. Do you mean the SM3 handles all acoustic guitar better, or specifically on the tracks you mentioned? I listened to "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" from Muddy Waters "Folk Singer". It's a truly excellent acoustic blues recording (well, the MFSL version is) and the one thing that jumped out was that the acoustic guitars with the SM3 sounded like they were being played with nylon strings. On the FX700's, it sounded like steel strings were used.

Nylon strings have a warmer and fuller sound, most often used for Classical guitar - and steel strings have a sharper and colder tone. It's the difference between soft and edgy. I have no idea what was used, but I'd imagine Muddy and Buddy (Muddy and Buddy??) used steel strings, in which case the FX700 portrayed the guitars more realistically. The SM3 softened the guitars somewhat and took the edge off. But I like the edge.

Vocals-wise, hands down the SM3 wins. When it comes to vocals, the SM3 is approaching almost analytical quality. The FX700's vocal are very good, but can't compete with the SM3.

The SM3 definitely portrays more vocal detail, but I really don't miss the odd intake of breath when I listen to the FX700's. And I prefer the clearer vocals with the FX700 by quite a margin. I agree with james that clarity and detail are not the same thing. For example, I thought the IE8 had good treble detail, but there was a slight fog over it which reduced the clarity. The SM3 vocals had a fog over them which irritated me - so much so that I gave them to my cat to drag round the garden for a while - but don't tell Chris
eek.gif

Quote:

Time and time again, whenever I hear acoustic guitar or similar instruments on FX, it always gives me that intense feeling of satisfaction, coined eargasm. Now, the SM3 is great with its speed and accuracy, but I prefer the timbre of the FX. That reverberation of string instrument out of that tiny 10mm wooden driven....it's just the ooooh feeling. I tried to look for that sound of acoustic instrument on the SM3, but it's nowhere to be found.

Yes yes yes! That's exactly how I felt.

The treble is more forward on the FX, but never sounding harsh to my ear. Weirdly, it's less fatiguing on the FX than the SM3, as there are times where I notice that slightly metallic sibilance. Whereas on the FX it's smoother, at least, to my ears. Perhaps since it's vented. 

I hear it as more forward too with a lot more sparkle. And it's never harsh to me either, just beautifully twinkly
biggrin.gif

Chris, a big thanks for parting with them long enough to let me demo them. I managed to get in several consecutive hours of quality time with them (while pressed into my ears....) and I can see why you want to sleep with them
ksc75smile.gif

They have great bass, smooth treble and a huge vocal presence. But.... for me, they just didn't have enough edge to make me sit up and take notice.

Also, they suffered the same fate as the CK10 when I turned them up loud. I'd get hit by a wall of sound that got tiring after a while. The trouble was that I liked them a lot better at louder volumes, but my ears couldn't take the ringing!!

ipondypoo, yes I do think they sound similar to the UM3x, in that they share the same warm sound, and can sound a little flat depending on the recording. But the SM3 soundstage is a lot bigger and more airy, and the vocals (while forward) don't scream at you as much as the UM3X.

Build quality is not that great for the money. I liked the braided cable, it felt very secure and sturdy (like the W3) - but the plastic earpieces felt flimsy and cheap to me, like something out of a Christmas cracker.

Also, the SM3 fit is about the most annoying I've encountered since the e-Q7. With the FX's it's just a case of 'shove in and go', something that I've really learned to appreciate after all the earphones I've had.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,552 of 2,831
lol @ Anaxilus. Basically, that's its!
tongue_smile.gif
NOOOOOOOOO! I'm saying I'm in audio Nirvana right now with more than one IEM lover @ Anaxilus. But the others seem to be just fine with it...lol.

Quote:
Nice update Eric!!  So what you are trying to say is go for the Shure 425s then.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #2,553 of 2,831
Great additional impressions @ koonhua buddy. We pretty much agree for the most part.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2,554 of 2,831
Hello @ soozieq. Yes, for me I like all acoustic guitar better on the SM3 than the FX700 - not to say the JVC is shabby. I don't know the difference between nylon and old steel strings, but the acoustic guitar is just more in your face and I enjoy it better with the Earsonics. I feel as if I can really hear the musician's fingers going across the frets, whereas with the FX700, sometimes, I just get the end result, the sound. I think it's just a matter of different tastes. Sometimes I want to hear the technical nuances of the musicianship, so I reach for the SM3. If I just want to hear the glorious sound, I reach for the FX700. I was really shock that Chris gave up the FX700 - he says he doesn't miss it but I think he will. On the other hand, I understand why he didn't give up the DDM. The DDM just has to be heard. It's a different beast onto itself - but not technically better than the FX700 or SM3. I can see how someone can like the SM3 and not like FX700 or vice versa. And, of course, I can see how someone - like me - can love them both.

Quote:
Do you mean the SM3 handles all acoustic guitar better, or specifically on the tracks you mentioned?
I

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #2,555 of 2,831

Quote:

I can't get the hang of quoting parts of the same post, so I'm posting my responses in blue
smile.gif

Chris, a big thanks for parting with them long enough to let me demo them. I managed to get in several consecutive hours of quality time with them (while pressed into my ears....) and I can see why you want to sleep with them
ksc75smile.gif

They have great bass, smooth treble and a huge vocal presence. But.... for me, they just didn't have enough edge to make me sit up and take notice.

Also, they suffered the same fate as the CK10 when I turned them up loud. I'd get hit by a wall of sound that got tiring after a while. The trouble was that I liked them a lot better at louder volumes, but my ears couldn't take the ringing!!

No problem! I'm glad you at least got to hear spells of their full sound. It's just a shame that they didn't stay put with any of the tips you have on hand. I sort of figured they wouldn't have the sparkle/edge you prefer, but I just wanted you to hear their grand sound, since for me that scale they kick out is just amazing. 

Next time you should try the newest thing when it comes out, and send my way to demo! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #2,556 of 2,831
Man the wait for these are terrible. Just sold my HJE900s, so I'm using the GOD AWFUL x 1000000000000 Stock Apple Headphones.... 

SM3's at $299 was just to good of a deal..

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2,557 of 2,831
Way to go. That is a great deal. I paid close to $400 for mine, plus $15 shipping from France. Oh well, they're worth that for sure. 

Did you order from soundearphones, and use the coupon discount? Hope you enjoy them as much as most owners seem to, and hope you don't have a very difficult time achieving a solid seal.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #2,559 of 2,831
Yea Soundearphones.com w/ 15% off coupon was from Father's day surprised it still worked. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2,561 of 2,831

Quote:

smile.gif

ksc75smile.gif

ipondypoo, yes I do think they sound similar to the UM3x, in that they share the same warm sound, and can sound a little flat depending on the recording. But the SM3 soundstage is a lot bigger and more airy, and the vocals (while forward) don't scream at you as much as the UM3X.

Build quality is not that great for the money. I liked the braided cable, it felt very secure and sturdy (like the W3) - but the plastic earpieces felt flimsy and cheap to me, like something out of a Christmas cracker.

Also, the SM3 fit is about the most annoying I've encountered since the e-Q7. With the FX's it's just a case of 'shove in and go', something that I've really learned to appreciate after all the earphones I've had.

Hi soozieq! I'm not at all surprised by your conclusions. My suspicion has been that the SM3 is another top-tier triple balanced armature earphone that is offering a different flavour to its competitors but is not a great technological leap forward from them. It does some things better and others perhaps not quite as well. However, it does appear to share some sonic similarities with the UM3X and SE530. If that is the case, then it is not for me because I prefer the TF10 to both of those phones.

I also think that reports of its suspect build quality is a genuine cause for concern at its asking price and Earsonics should redress this as a priority. I've no reason to doubt that the SM3 is a very good sounding earphone, but I don't think that I will be joining its devout followers. I suspect that my aural nirvana is to be found elsewhere and probably in the form of an earphone that can achieve the refinement and balanced presentation of a balanced armature phone, with the more "organic" and visceral qualities of a dynamic driver phone.  

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2,562 of 2,831
Well, thanks for dropping by and good luck with the search!  If you do one day get them, come back and let us know what you think.

Quote:

Hi soozieq! I'm not at all surprised by your conclusions. My suspicion has been that the SM3 is another top-tier triple balanced armature earphone that is offering a different flavour to its competitors but is not a great technological leap forward from them. It does some things better and others perhaps not quite as well. However, it does appear to share some sonic similarities with the UM3X and SE530. If that is the case, then it is not for me because I prefer the TF10 to both of those phones.

I also think that reports of its suspect build quality is a genuine cause for concern at its asking price and Earsonics should redress this as a priority. I've no reason to doubt that the SM3 is a very good sounding earphone, but I don't think that I will be joining its devout followers. I suspect that my aural nirvana is to be found elsewhere and probably in the form of an earphone that can achieve the refinement and balanced presentation of a balanced armature phone, with the more "organic" and visceral qualities of a dynamic driver phone.  

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2,563 of 2,831
^ Thanks! I'll continue to stop by because there are some opinions in this thread that I value. I enjoy reading posts from these people and the discussions that they generate. I might even feel inclined to participate. Online forums are good for that sort of thing.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #2,565 of 2,831
Just thinking out loud - If the fakers ever get round to doing a knockoff SM3, it might be the first example of a counterfeit earphone being more robust than the original
tongue_smile.gif

While waiting for my replacements to hot foot it over here from France, I am greatly enjoying my Radius DDMs.  Had forgotten how good they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back