EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 7, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #1,966 of 2,831

Quote:
Koonhua90, indeed, I love phones that have a more V-shaped frequency response for sleeping, where I listen at very quiet volume levels (such as the IE8, FX700, etc). Flat phones like the Phonak PFE or the SM3 sure seem to lose some of their "natural" sound qualities at those low volume levels.

You listen to music while sleeping?  Woah, thats hardcore man.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #1,967 of 2,831

Quote:
That brings up one of the ideas I see repeated that isn't always true; that going to
high end custom means the end of lusting after universals. It doesn't necessarily work that
way. It didn't for me. I would bet for a significant number of people expressing the idea, it won't either.

The JH13 is a remarkable piece of engineering and worth every bit of it's price. How it
manages to use 6 BA drivers and the associated crossovers and sound so seamless and smooth is nearly
unbelievable. The presentation is seamless, like a single driver IEM, fast like any BA and extended
on both top and bottom in line with the best universals.  

but

It is only one version of sonic presentation. It is easily possible to have a high end custom and still
choose to spend listening time with "lesser" IEMs. I've had the JH13 for a year now. Over the last few months
at least half my listening time is with other IEMs. For the most recent few months it's been the e-Q7. Now it's
the SM3. The SM3 may very well end up beating my favorite universal, the e-Q7 sound wise, although the build never will.

The SM3 seems to match up pretty well with the JH13 as far as frequency extension, both top and bottom.
The mids on the SM3 are more forward and a little "hotter" than the JH13. The JH13 is quite a bit smoother
across the spectrum than the SM3, which isn't to say I hear the SM3 as peaky. The SM3 makes a very good
transition through the frequencies, but it isn't seamless. The SM3 has very nearly equal clarity to the JH13,
and not far behind the CK10, which has the most clarity of any IEM I've heard. 

So far, the unique feature I hear in the SM3 is it's soundstage and image. It's very impressive, but at the same time
sometimes not "real". The soundstage reminds me of the HD800, which is my favorite fullsize can. The HD800 throws an amazing,
huge 3d soundstage, even when it's not called for. The SM3 does somewhat the same thing, although not to the extent
the HD800 does. I like the effect on a lot of material, but not on everything. In comparison the JH13 has about
as "honest" an image and soundstage as I've heard in IEMs. Everything is in the correct location and of the correct size.
The soundstage on the JH13 disappears because nothing much surprises or disappoints.

That's my 2[size=12pt]¢ so far on the JH13 vs SM3 comparison. [/size]

Very, VERY interesting post indeed. Sadly, I guess if you haven't got 1000+ posts, or haven't got a PhD in electronics or the like, or claim to be a recording engineer, or are not one of the regular so-called buddies, then your posts will practically go unnoticed and become irrelevant.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #1,968 of 2,831
The logic of quantum physics - I like it.

If a flac plays in a forest and nobody hears it, is it still better than MP3?

Quote:
Very, VERY interesting post indeed. Sadly, I guess if you haven't got 1000+ posts, or haven't got a PhD in electronics or the like, or claim to be a recording engineer, or are not one of the regular so-called buddies, then your posts will practically go unnoticed and become irrelevant.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,969 of 2,831
I've been looking at upgrading my Westone UM2's since CanJam and I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of UM3x until I got hooked on this thread.  I've read most of the thread and I have a concern.  I travel for work weekly and I'm a little concerned with the longevity of the SM3 based on some of the comments I've read.  I've owned the UM2's for four years without a single problem and they've held up very well.  Any guidance on whether these IEM's could hold up to extensive travel would be appreciated. 

thanks

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #1,970 of 2,831
^ I have to say I love their sound but they are alot more fragile than any IEM I have owned. I am now using their included case religiously.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #1,971 of 2,831
Well, I've had mine for a few weeks now and they've withstood daily abuse in my pockets perfectly. Touch wood. I use them every day on way to and from work, on packed and jostling tube trains, so its not the kindest environment in the world.  Plus I'm the most un-looking-after-things person in the world ever. I just shove things in places I didn't know existed and its a miracle they come out alive half the time.

My history with high end iems is shady at best - my Image X5s broke at the jack connector, my first pair of CK10s came apart at the earpiece strain relief within a few days, and I've just been informed by the work colleague I sold them to that my E-Q7s are now only getting sound in one ear. To be fair, that last problem isn't down to me, but so far these plastic Kinder Egg toy SM3s are proving remarkably sturdy.

I'll report back in a week when I've managed to smash them into tiny pieces though.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,973 of 2,831
@Bennyboy, tbo I can't imagine that the SM3 would withstand the same kind of treatment that manages to break a CK10 within a few days. I think their cable is top notch, but the cheap plastic housing inspires no confidence at all. 
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #1,974 of 2,831
Well, thats what happened, strange as it may seem.

Time will tell. If it aint broke, don't complain, thats my motto.

Quote:
@Bennyboy, tbo I can't imagine that the SM3 would withstand the same kind of treatment that manages to break a CK10 within a few days. I think their cable is top notch, but the cheap plastic housing inspires no confidence at all. 
frown.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,975 of 2,831
The sound is good enough on these that if they break down in the housing I will probably get them customed through Fisher rather than send them back to Earsonics since the shipping costs back to France will darn near pay for half the customization.

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #1,976 of 2,831
Received my repaired SM3 today. I can't tell exactly what they did, but it seems as if Earsonics replaced the entire left housing (and possibly drivers). The reason why I say this is because both of my original driver housings had some glue dust residue inside of  them and on the drivers, which didn't bother me, but now only the right housing has that residue and the left side that got broken is crystal clear. Sound is still great. Franck and the Gang even were kind of enough to throw in a couple extra pairs of (seemingly larger) double flange tips. These tips sound nice. The large Olive that was still connected to the broken arm when I returned it also came back, but it looks like it's been through a French Revolutionary War of sorts. It must have been really fused on that arm. I want to use my Shure Olives, but am a little hesitant right now.. The double flanges are sounding really sweet though. For the first time, I'm listening to the SM3 through the Fiio E7 - the this amp/DAC came the same day or the day after the SM3 got damaged.  Hmmmm? The verdict is out, but I think I like the SM3 better un-amped or through the E5. The SM3 definitely sounds better without the bass boost as the higher you go (from 0 to 3) the soundstage get compressed and the bass get muddy. Less headstage and 3D imaging also. I must say, however, that the DAC of the E7 is quite nice. I must say the FX700 and (especially) the DDM shined brightly for me in the SM3's absence. The DDM has finally broken out of burn-in stage has kind of really settled into its unite layered sound sig. It's wonderful. But at last, I must admit, I was missing the SM3 and I'm glad to have them back in my ears for now.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #1,977 of 2,831

Quote:
The logic of quantum physics - I like it.

If a flac plays in a forest and nobody hears it, is it still better than MP3?

Depends on which universe your are talking about.

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,978 of 2,831
Any US resellers of the SM3, or is purchase possible only through EarSonics France?
(sorry if this has been asked before...)

Thanks

shane

Jul 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,979 of 2,831

No problem shane55. Unfortunately, there are no U.S. dealers. Your best bet is to deal with Earsonics directly in France, or there is a dealer in the U.K., but I really forget what the experience has been like dealing with that seller. If you email Earsonics, they are pretty good at answering all questions. And yes, you can email them in English and they will respond back to you in English. Happy listening.
Quote:
Any US resellers of the SM3, or is purchase possible only through EarSonics France?
(sorry if this has been asked before...)

Thanks

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back