EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,981 of 2,831
eric-
Great to hear your SM3's made it back already. That was pretty quick actually, but I'm sure it seemed long enough for you. 

Enjoy!

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,982 of 2,831

THANK YOU buddy @ Chris. Yes, I'm enjoying them man. Between the Jays and their double flange tips, the sound is amazing!!
Quote:
eric-
Great to hear your SM3's made it back already. That was pretty quick actually, but I'm sure it seemed long enough for you. 

Enjoy!

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #1,983 of 2,831
Well, I were to purchase jh13 for my protector, but when jh-3a/jh16 has been released, I decided to go for those, but when talked with shigzeo, GuyDebord and reading what bada bing said about comparing sm3 to jh13, I decided to go for EM3pro... :D

But, beside portable/transportable(depends which source and(if I will ever go for an amp for em3pro, since im sick of portable amp recently) I would like to have an high-end universal for use in situations(train, plane, beach) when I wont be able to use my em3pro rig with care.
I have atm westone3 because I really love their fun factor for all kind of music, but when Im reading about sm3 and going to have em3pro, Im thinking of swapping w3 with sm3.
Well, the casing of Westone3's is verry good, I didnt care about them(few times I sit on them, few times I dropped them on the ground) and its still like-new condition. No scrathes, no other marks of use. Westone3 are for me like indestructible. The cable is also indestructible - the plug, the cable, strandes, etc

Is it similar with sm3 or sm3 are more fragile?

PS. Hopefully looking for a person who had westone 3 for long time and now got sm3 :wink:

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,984 of 2,831
Well, I wouldnt say that. Among headphiles, bada bing is known and respectable person. He is just not into portable and other forums, but high-end, yep, he is known and respectable.

Quote:
music_4321 said:

Very, VERY interesting post indeed. Sadly, I guess if you haven't got 1000+ posts, or haven't got a PhD in electronics or the like, or claim to be a recording engineer, or are not one of the regular so-called buddies, then your posts will practically go unnoticed and become irrelevant.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,985 of 2,831
Perhaps I too am misinterpreting music_4321 quote, but I think music_4321 was being sarcastic. I think he was calling attention to the fact that you shouldn't need 1000 posts to seem credible. Just my opinion.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #1,986 of 2,831
I leaned on mine marginally and the one right side cracked open at the point where the two halves of the body were joined together so these are not of the indestructable variety. If you get them you will have to carefull or you will break them.

Quote:
Well, I were to purchase jh13 for my protector, but when jh-3a/jh16 has been released, I decided to go for those, but when talked with shigzeo, GuyDebord and reading what bada bing said about comparing sm3 to jh13, I decided to go for EM3pro... :D

But, beside portable/transportable(depends which source and(if I will ever go for an amp for em3pro, since im sick of portable amp recently) I would like to have an high-end universal for use in situations(train, plane, beach) when I wont be able to use my em3pro rig with care.
I have atm westone3 because I really love their fun factor for all kind of music, but when Im reading about sm3 and going to have em3pro, Im thinking of swapping w3 with sm3.
Well, the casing of Westone3's is verry good, I didnt care about them(few times I sit on them, few times I dropped them on the ground) and its still like-new condition. No scrathes, no other marks of use. Westone3 are for me like indestructible. The cable is also indestructible - the plug, the cable, strandes, etc

Is it similar with sm3 or sm3 are more fragile?

PS. Hopefully looking for a person who had westone 3 for long time and now got sm3 :wink:

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,987 of 2,831

WOW!!  just noticed I'm over 1,000 posts 
beerchug.gif
. What do I get? Hurry up! Somebody bust open a couple of Cracker Jack boxes for me!!
L3000.gif
 I know....thank you buddies, friends , pals and fans! HAPPY LISTENING!!
Quote:
THANK YOU buddy @ Chris. Yes, I'm enjoying them man. Between the Jays and their double flange tips, the sound is amazing!!

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #1,988 of 2,831
Good to hear you got them back eric so now you can stop your week long of suffering and enjoy those SM3 again
beerchug.gif
Although the build construction of the plastic housing doesn't really inspire confidence in a product that is at $400 and supposed to be made for stage use which does go through abuse. It sounds like it shares some of the same construction issues that the UM3X has :p

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,989 of 2,831
Thank you @ rawrster buddy. Well, ask I've always said>>> there is no king!! Yes, they sound wonderful to me, but some points must be shaved off for fragile housings (although the cable seems sturdy enough). I think the DDM is a more solid build. Of course, the Ortos are like little tanks and the FX700 are nice wood blocks. When I had the loner DBAs I was worried about its build because they are so tiny, but I think the housing are more durable than the SM3 slightly. The SM3 cable, however, is better than the DBA. I use post comparisons of the DBA vs. SM3 soon (the DBAs are gone, but I took notes on songs I will compare with the SM3).

Quote:
Good to hear you got them back eric so now you can stop your week long of suffering and enjoy those SM3 again
beerchug.gif
Although the build construction of the plastic housing doesn't really inspire confidence in a product that is at $400 and supposed to be made for stage use which does go through abuse. It sounds like it shares some of the same construction issues that the UM3X has :p

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #1,990 of 2,831

Quote:
Perhaps I too am misinterpreting music_4321 quote, but I think music_4321 was being sarcastic. I think he was calling attention to the fact that you shouldn't need 1000 posts to seem credible. Just my opinion.

Exactly.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #1,991 of 2,831
^ I didn't realize he was being ignored, must have missed that somewhere.

Hurry up w/ the DBA/SM3 comparo Eric!!  
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,992 of 2,831
Well, then Im going to stay with w3 as fun-factor iems and Em3pro as main iems, custom IEMs - finally :D

So, um3x and sm3 got weak housing that must be threaten with fragile?

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,993 of 2,831
I look forward to your comparison between the two whenever you have collected your thoughts and posted them. I do agree about the build however. The housings are solidly build and you would need to do some serious damage to break them. The cables don't seem as solid however but still fairly good. I really do wish earphones at this price or any price above $100 or so should be solidly built like the CK10 or CK100. It shouldn't cost them that much to have them built better should it?

Maybe this is what happens when you have had some really good iem's and get spoiled by them..going down in build is pretty disappointing at higher costs

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,994 of 2,831

Quote:
Well, then Im going to stay with w3 as fun-factor iems and Em3pro as main iems, custom IEMs - finally :D

So, um3x and sm3 got weak housing that must be threaten with fragile?

Congratulations Kubus, I hope you get them soon. Mine took one week from the moment I sent the impressions. Welcome to the club!

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,995 of 2,831
I have seen both the old version and refurbished version of SM3, though not at the same time. I must say that the refurbished SM3 looks much stronger, and no sign of 'furrow' in the 'border' of the black and transparent plastic housing. Still, they look fragile but if used with care they should be able to last long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back