Earsonics SM2 or Monster Turbine Pro Gold or Westone 2? Or ortofon e-Q7?
Nov 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xer0x

New Head-Fier
Trying to decide between one of the first three so I can get them for Cyber Monday prices - opinions? Or should I hold out and save up for the e-Q7s? I own the audio-technica CK70Pros and am looking for something with a little more bass and a richer sound overall, just to rotate with. 

Managed to try all of them on, but only in <15min bits at local stores here in Singapore - have been kind of busy these days - so I'm looking in particular for information on their sonic quirks which wouldn't be obvious in such a short time, and on things like durability and build quality... especially since it's going to be vaguely complicated for me to send anything back to the USA for warranty purposes.

Am leaning towards getting the SM2s - they have a very rich, detailed sound signature but they are a bit forward for my liking. That being said, while the e-Q7s might be an improvement in that respect, they're a bit shouty at times. Listening to Big Boi's Sir Lucious Left Foot album on them was a little unbearable.

Alternatively... is it likely that US street prices receive a similar 20% drop later in December, nearer to Christmas? If so, I might hold out for a while longer and go through more auditions before pulling the trigger.

Thoughts? Help appreciated! Cheers.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Where you are getting 20% discount on all of them? EraphoneSolutions? I thought they carry only W2 among those you listed?

Dimitri from musicaacoustics have special offer running for new Ortofon e-Q5 (which is similar to e-Q7 but cheaper). I posted this info in the "deal Alert" thread, check it out

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't know about the Gold or the Westone 2, but EricP might be able to help you will your other problem. Him owning both hopefully he'll jump out of the darkness somewhere O-o From reading how he prefers the SM2 to the SM3 I'm pretty sure he'll say the SM2. Just a wild guess 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Where you are getting 20% discount on all of them? EraphoneSolutions? I thought they carry only W2 among those you listed?

as I posted in the Deal Alerts thread, the code 'CYBER2010' on soundearphones.com nets a 20% discount. it doesn't seem to be announced anywhere, but it seems to work. AFAIK, they also have the best official-dealer price for the MTPGs at the moment: ~US$200 after the discount is applied.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow we posted at the same time, weird..

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Yep my ortofon e-q5's are on the way 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 can't wait!!

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Yep my ortofon e-q5's are on the way 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 can't wait!!

Glad for ya make sure you post some impressions over there I been eying that thread, i'm trying to stay away............
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Only can compare the SM2 and e-Q7 (only two I have heard out of the ones you listed). And this is tough as both are two of my favorite universals. I you like more bass with good treble extension, I would say the SM2. If bass is not an issue and you like a more neutral and balanced sound, the e-Q7. It really depends on the Sound sig you prefer between those two.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 14
None of the coupon codes work now. It's six hours to midnight on Cyber Monday... weren't they supposed to run throughout? Oh well. I shall now kick myself for not buying them seven hours ago and go to sleep. What can I say.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Soundearphones sells the SM2 on ebay with "Buy it Now" or "make offer". Put an offer in for the discounted price.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Only can compare the SM2 and e-Q7 (only two I have heard out of the ones you listed). And this is tough as both are two of my favorite universals. I you like more bass with good treble extension, I would say the SM2. If bass is not an issue and you like a more neutral and balanced sound, the e-Q7. It really depends on the Sound sig you prefer between those two.

How would you say the SM2 and SM3 differ?

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

How would you say the SM2 and SM3 differ?

The Sm2 are loads and loads better....Ive been trying to steal his SM3 but now that there already gone........
ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back