Earpads for Grados...
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dicetrain

New Head-Fier
So I got some 325is and it seems I have it worse than some others. It's not that the earpad is uncomfortable, but I have small ears so the pad doesn't even touch them. It's just my ears right on that inside surface! Ow!

The GS-1000 cushions look like they extend more so they would keep the driver off my ear, but I wonder if it would change the sound too much. The S-Cush apparently wear flat, which is what is essentially already happening to me, so I don't think it would be as dramatic of a sound difference. However, I know from new pads I got for some other headphones that it depends on the material.

Basically, I completely adore the sound of the 325is but I just need at least a little softness. Which one would better maintain the current sound?

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 20
Wow...you must have some tiny ears...lol

Yeah, the jumbos like on the GS1000 would act like an around the ear rather than on the ear pad so it should work for you. I use them myself. As far as how it changes the sound...it does recess the mids slightly however you can either EQ that back up or in pretty short time you get used to it and it ends up being just fine. I was bothered at first and EQ'ed the mids back to where they were and then I forgot to turn on the EQ once and I really didn't notice and once I did I found the sound was perfectly acceptable so I don't even mess with it now. I prefer the jumbos 100% over the stock pads now even though I change them out now and then just to get a different sound so things don't get stale.

I will add that the sound stage improves just slightly as well since the driver is further from your ear. Some say the bass is lessened too but I honestly think it was improved...though ever so slightly like the sound stage. Have you looked into the Bilavideo mods for your 325's? If not, do look into them. The 325's respond oh so well to the mods. I would whole heartedly recommend them. If you read enough here you will probably not find anyone that is a bigger fan of the 325's then me and Bilavideo. I absolutely love them and if curiousty didn't get the better of me from time to time...they could easily be my end all headphone.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Feb 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 20
Let me be more detailed

I was listening to a RS1i,SR225i and SR60i through my Zune HD at a store (The amps they had were the RA1 and some Project one, both are junk so I didn't bother) when I was trying all the pads available all in like new condition. I absolutely hated the sound, too much treble,mids became too distant and where's the bass?. Comfort is not bad but I felt it was too different from bowls and comfies sound wise. I must say comfies make my ears warm quite fast. I'm not sure how much you EQed but that is what I heard and thus I did not buy the jumbos.

My preferences are

Sound:
Bowl>Comfies>Flats>Jumbo

Comfort:
Comfies>Jumbo>Flats>Bowls

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 20
 I kind if like comfies over the jumbos too.  The jumbos KILL for comfort, but I don't like the recessed mids either,  And I felt they added too much sibilence to the highs.  The comfies vs bowls: a little more bass, the treble is reduced some (which in the case of the SR325i, I think is a good thing), and I can still wear them hours at a time with absolutely no problems.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 20
Jumbo pads only work with distancers if you are using them with Grados not specifically designed for them, and get better with several other mods applied (driver vented, pads lined etc).

If I'm not using those mods, either quartermodded comfies or TTVJ flats are my weapons of choice. Cannot stand bowls.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 20
I pulled the headband cushion off my 555s (which are dead to me now) and stuck it right on to the 325s headband. It's a perfect fit and sticks well. It makes the weight disappear and the added extension for the height changes the angle of attack on my ears to not be so bad. Still, for long sessions I'm gonna need something between my lobes and the drivers. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like comfies are the ones for me. Flats would interest me but they have the same size hole in the middle as the bowls so that won't work for me.

Anyway, I just ordered comfies from TTVJ. If I lose out on some of the highs I won't mind because I mostly listen to kpop where the highs are insane, instrumental hiphop which tends to focus on old groove samples, or warm fuzzy rock where highs aren't really even there.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Making your own is pretty simple. Buy foam, buy some form of fabric possibly Micro suede like i got then cut and sew. This way you can make them shaped to your head with whatever depth you want.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Let me be more detailed

I was listening to a RS1i,SR225i and SR60i through my Zune HD at a store (The amps they had were the RA1 and some Project one, both are junk so I didn't bother) when I was trying all the pads available all in like new condition. I absolutely hated the sound, too much treble,mids became too distant and where's the bass?. Comfort is not bad but I felt it was too different from bowls and comfies sound wise. I must say comfies make my ears warm quite fast. I'm not sure how much you EQed but that is what I heard and thus I did not buy the jumbos.

Nope...still nothing like I get. I get slightly recessed mids, EQ'ed no more than +2db to make it pretty close to what they were before. Highs no sibilant at all, highs are great, bass and sound stage actually improved. Perhaps it's the 325's, might be the amp, maybe the Bilavideo mods...I don't know...but for me, the jumbos are fantastic...I don't even EQ them anymore. Of course...like everything audio related...YMMV.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Nope...still nothing like I get. I get slightly recessed mids, EQ'ed no more than +2db to make it pretty close to what they were before. Highs no sibilant at all, highs are great, bass and sound stage actually improved. Perhaps it's the 325's, might be the amp, maybe the Bilavideo mods...I don't know...but for me, the jumbos are fantastic...I don't even EQ them anymore. Of course...like everything audio related...YMMV.

Maybe could we get a pic of your modded 325's? or what all did you do?

Gonna go search Bilavideo now, I saw his SR60 thread didn't know about the 325 one

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 20
The mods I did to my 325's...I did the vent mod...four holes, I removed the button (makes a big difference, I didn't believe it until I did it) and I removed the plastic ring from inside the cup. I also put Dynamat on the magnet cover. That's all I did and the results are nothing less than remarkable.

Here you can kinda see the four holes I punched in the fabric...I've been thinking about doing a couple more...not sure yet.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 20
OP, you might want to give the bowls a little wash in warm water with mild shampoo or something - the brand new foam softens up a bit after the first wash, and over the period of a few weeks, will become even softer (Well, relatively. Don't ever think you'll approach XB500 territory)

Second thing you want to do is adjust the headband properly, so that clamping force is minimal. you do this by gently stretching out the metal loop under the el-cheapo vinyl covering - a J$ band in camel or brown looks really awesome on the 325, and is more comfortable than the stock - think about that too.

If this is your first Grado, give yourself and your ears some time to adjust.

If you still feel the bowls are too much, then Jumbos might be your only option left.

Cheers,
dxps26

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 20
A&H: you just made me realize that I'll need to do another "pad test" when I get my Bilavideo mod'ed SR125i's back. 
smile_phones.gif

Comfies, bowls, jumbos, flats, and the 414 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back