Earbud buyer's guide, feat. TM5, OK1, PK1, ATH-CM700, OK2, K319, OK3, PK3, PK2
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #167 of 226

Quote:
Looking for a little more guidance from some of you more seasoned earphone users. I have been enjoying the OK3's with my iPod 4th Gen. Nano. I like their reproduction of more stripped down music (She & Him, singer/songwriter stuff), but they seem veiled/suffer with rock music (White Stripes, Blindside (melodic hard rock). Vocals seem recessed and the imaging isn't as good. However, they seemed to improve with the FiiO E5 amp on more demanding music.

Sadly, my FiiO just bit the dust. As a result, I am trying to decide how to use my hard-earned dollars. My thoughts are:

1) Replace the FiiO and keep my OK3s
2) Upgrade to the OK2s (Head Direct is willing to let me upgrade for $70)
3) Buy a higher quality/more durable amp
4) Look into the PK line

I am not wanting to spend more than $70 - 80 on this upgrade, which would allow me to do most everything on the list.

I would appreciate your thoughts on which way to go. Let me know if there needs to be any more details on my situation. Thanks!!

I would recommend to go for another option: Upgrade to MX 880. Should be available for your price range and will give you really good sound quality.
MX 880 has very good reproduction of human voices (both female and male) and they are also good for rock music.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #168 of 226

Quote:

I would recommend to go for another option: Upgrade to MX 880. Should be available for your price range and will give you really good sound quality.
MX 880 has very good reproduction of human voices (both female and male) and they are also good for rock music.

I appreciate the input, but what exactly are you meaning using the term "upgrade?" In relation to the OK3's, I presume, but not over the OK2's?

Also, have you compared the OK2's (or the OK3's) with the MX 880's? If not, I am wondering on what basis (other than personal preference) you are recommending them. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #170 of 226

Anyone know of a legit online retailer of ATH-CM700 (bronze finish) or CM700Ti's please?

Any recs on which portable amp pairs well with them as well?

I listen mostly to electronic (synthpop, EBM, ambient, noise) female vocal (celine dion, j-pop etc.) and classical (piano, violin, fast/detail) music.  I don't mind sibilance or harshness and I love surround sound i.e. concert hall, club atmosphere.

If you think I should get a different pair of earbud/IEM's, objections are very welcome, I also like anything that's not made out of plastic, thanks in advance to anyone that answers =)

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #172 of 226
Jul 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #174 of 226
I think you're the one getting ripped off :wink:

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #176 of 226

Quote:
I think you're the one getting ripped off :wink:

Why do you want to pay as much for an "audiotechnica" label on the box?
These, branded as "powerman", are selling for about $2 here from major electronic retailers like MediaMarkt. I've purchased a pair to replace lost rubber ring on my genuine CM700.
The sound of "powerman" is like that of $1 earbuds (another $1 you're paying for stolen design; and, in your case, another $1.5 for "audiotechnica" label on the box).
It seems you're getting ripped off, $3.5 is too much!
Whysf do you want to pay as much for an "audiotechnica" label on the box?
These, branded as "powerman", are selling for about $2 here from major electronic retailers like MediaMarkt. I've purchased a pair to replace lost rubber ring on my genuine CM700.
The sound of "powerman" is like that of $1 earbuds (another $1 you're paying for stolen design; and, in your case, another $1.5 for "audiotechnica" label).
Why do you want to pay as much for an "audiotechnica" label on the box?
The sound of "powerman" is like that of $1 earbuds (another $1 you're paying for stolen design; and, in your case, another $1.5 for "audiotechnica" label).fdgg

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #177 of 226
Oh, I'm not interested in them at all, I'm just joking about obvious fakes.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #179 of 226
Is this roundup going to include the Koss KDE250 anytime soon? It's a $250 dual-driver earbud (though Amazon lists it for $140) and is Koss' most expensive current offering after their electrostatic headphones. I can barely find any reviews of it, so I think it should be given a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back