e7/e9 OR udac-2/Schiit asgard with HD650
Oct 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nx-1

New Head-Fier
Hello.. Well, i recently just got the HD650, and currently am driving them with my udac-2. I know they need more power and was wondering what would be better with the HD650: to get the e7/e9 combo or to get the Schiit asgard and use it with my udac-2

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 11
judging by reviews and impressions, I think the schiit asgard has the edge in the amp section while the udac and e7 seem to be different flavors of sound.

It's a toss up, but I prefer the way power regulation is handled on the Asgard, though this may or may not bear any weight on sound.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 11
I personally like the Hifiman EF2A with the HD600 and HD650 (I currently own the HD580, which is the poor man's HD600). Great onboard DAC, very transparent and open presentation. It's also relatively inexpensive at $180, and it improves even more with tube rolling (matched, NOS Raytheon tubes can be found on ebay for around $40 a pair).

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Oct 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
"Relays are being added to new units after this discovery was made."

If this is to be believed, it sounds like they addressed it in current production Asgard's

Yeah, I never listened to a Schiit Asgard but I came across when I was researching the forums/internet for a new amp.  Seems the amp had some issues when it first came out that were later addressed.  Another problem I ran accross was a slight hum when there was nothing playing. Which to my knowledge were fixed.

The one "issue" (if you want to call it that) that has stuck though is it gets a bit hot because the case itself is used as a heatsink, but it never heats up to dangerous levels, in other words you'd never burn your skin or start a fire.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 11
I have heard some good things about HD650 with fiO so I would go with the cheaper one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back