DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 24, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #13,981 of 14,084
Any of you guys have experience with the DX90 vs the Fiio X5 (1st/2nd gen). I lost my trusty X5 and both MicroSD cards on the train and now have been using my garbage tier $100 phone streaming 128kbps SoundCloud tunes through CIEMs.... Suffice to say, it's match made in hell. I never thought I could be so insulted by sound quality before.

Me being the broke person I am, I'm praying to find one for less than €200 or so. Also, how does the DX50 stack up to the 90? I imagine Rockbox is a hefty and well recommended upgrade?

Thanks guys!

With the current price, it’s better to get dx90
The SQ is a lot better in my opinion

Hey, for the DX90 pros, what's the difference between 2.5.1 stock and 2.4.0 stock? The readme says ISO support and updated FLAC, WAV, DSD engines...so no SQ difference?

Also, what do you think of DX80? Is it worth buying if you've got a DX90?

My friend got a dx80 and i have the dx90
I compared it a bit but prefer dx90’s SQ.
Since dx80 doesn’t have streaming ability, i would say just stick with dx90 if you already have it

Has anyone had battery issues with their DX90? I've had issues where a battery works for a few days and then the device won't turn on. I may be an issue with the device itself, not the battery, but when I put a new battery in it will work briefly, and then be completely non-responsive, even when plugged in to a power source. I'm not able to do a hard reset because the device doesn't respond at all. I probably have to send it to iBasso...

I’m sorry if it’s seems silly, have you try charging it using another cable or another charger?

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #13,984 of 14,084
Dx90 tends to be a good source with most amps and as a stand-alone into a pair of powered speakers or preamp. As far as headphone amps. People love the ifi stuff. The fostex can be hard to drive. Maybe a desktop amp is the way to go. I’d stay with solid state with planars.

I have a question. Anyone have any suggestions for dx90 replacement batteries?
I had some ravpower 2250mah Samsung s3 batteries. Lost one, and the other finally died. Can’t find them for sale anywhere. I have a couple made in Japan s3 batteries that i like, but the ravpower batteries really sound great. There is a difference. Getting the right battery for the dx90 is a fantastic tweak.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #13,985 of 14,084
I have been using the Anker batteries. The only thing I could find that made sense. My DX90 still gets a lot of use. I carry and extra battery for those long flights.

At some point would like a new DAP. Maybe when Bluetooth 5.0 appears?

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #13,986 of 14,084
Anyone have any suggestions for dx90 replacement batteries?
Search eBay for "i9300 battery", and you'll have a lot to choose from. Most of "original" batteries are fake. But there are aftermarket companies like Polarcell that still produce them.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #13,988 of 14,084
I just bought a Jubatec. As I mainly use the DX90 as DAC, I have to change the battery quite often.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #13,990 of 14,084
FYI - I called Sunvalley the distributor for Ravpower asking about the S3 battery. This is the answer:

Hi Mark,
I received an update about the availability of the battery in question (Ravpower)
and warehouse informed me that the S3 battery has been out of production for a long time, we won't sell this battery anymore.
We appreciate your interest in our product.
Thank you.
Best Regards,
Marc
Customer Service Associate
1-888-456-8468
SunvalleyTek Int.
www.sunvalleytek.com

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #13,992 of 14,084
Have had very good results with JuBaTec batteries on eBay...

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #13,993 of 14,084
I've narrowed my choices for my 2nd DAP down to two. Hifiman Supermini and Ibasso DX90. I like the idea of balanced audio and all that power in the Hifiman, plus I actually appreciate the super simple UI. I just want something that plays music quite well. That being said, the DX90 is no slouch in the power department, and I really like the simplicity of the UI with touch screen.
I have a question regarding the firmware updates for the DX90. If I just download the latest version firmware, will I get all the benefits of all the previous firmware updates, or will I be missing out on some options?

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #13,994 of 14,084
I've narrowed my choices for my 2nd DAP down to two. Hifiman Supermini and Ibasso DX90. I like the idea of balanced audio and all that power in the Hifiman, plus I actually appreciate the super simple UI. I just want something that plays music quite well. That being said, the DX90 is no slouch in the power department, and I really like the simplicity of the UI with touch screen.
I have a question regarding the firmware updates for the DX90. If I just download the latest version firmware, will I get all the benefits of all the previous firmware updates, or will I be missing out on some options?

There are no "option" lost by update. The only difference is in the sound signature (regardless of optimisation work). You can play with the different firmwares if you want to test the differences.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #13,995 of 14,084
There are no "option" lost by update. The only difference is in the sound signature (regardless of optimisation work). You can play with the different firmwares if you want to test the differences.
I would assume the sound only gets better with each update. Is this not accurate? I know sound is subjective, but that doesn't sound like a game I'd want to play - download each update to determine which sound I like best. Besides, should I prefer the sound of of say the 3rd update, wouldn't that mean I'm stuck with only the firmware updates to that point? If I download the latest firmware along with the 3rd update, can I choose the sound of that 3rd update, and still get the options from the latest firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back