DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #13,951 of 14,084
Luckily I've owned both, but sold the Ak Jr;

UI wise: AK jr has the better UI, but it is quite laggy to the point it hinders performance. DX90 UI is slightly sluggish, but much more responsive than AK Jr. Ak jr has so much potential and would be exponentially better if they had just placed more ram and used a snappier CPU.
Sound wise: DX90 is slightly more clinical, AK Jr has more body. Personally find the AK Jr has better soundstage though.
Battery life: About the same, but the DX90 has swappable batteries. A win for me.
Outputs: The AK jr can't output digital out, which is a major negative point for it. I use the coax out of the DX90 all the time to feed into my mojo.

you won't go wrong with both, but personally for my needs the DX90 is simply fantastic.

I see. As seeing some reviews I thought the dx90 would have had better details and soundstage. So the ak Jr is better for vocals then?

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #13,952 of 14,084
I see. As seeing some reviews I thought the dx90 would have had better details and soundstage. So the ak Jr is better for vocals then?

can't answer that truthfully man. Perhaps find someplace that you can audition?

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #13,954 of 14,084
Can't audition them anywhere as they've been discontinued but can still buy them on some websites....

I did a quick google search. Check out the AK Jr review on headfonia. They've comparisons with dx90.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #13,956 of 14,084
Not sure as that thread doesn't seem to be active anymore.

On another note. How does the dx90 compare with the ak Jr as both are around the same price? Which one has better sound quality?
I compared them some time back and found the DX90 to have better detail and for me, a better quality sound. The AK jr was a step down with layering and transparency that wasn't as good.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #13,958 of 14,084
I see. So the dx90 has better vocals and soundstage too? Is it bass light as I keep seeing people saying it is clinical.

I suspect 'people' saying it is clinical, listen to very little live music, and like a cosy warm sound believing that is musical!

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #13,960 of 14,084
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #13,962 of 14,084
Yup... I find the DX-90 to be wonderfully neutral (flat). Does not seem to add colour to the music.
And that's exactly what I want in a DAP. True to the source file.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #13,963 of 14,084
The DX90 is my go to as a cheap, stable digital transport. Paired with the mojo, you've a setup ready to rival daps several times more expensive than it.

By itself, it works fantastic with a very detailed sound. It's quite flat and neutral all around. I don't think it has any particular treble peak too.

Only drawbacks: Linux/Mac dac function is almost broken. Light popping sounds, and it isn't synced with video. Headphone jacks tend to get overly loose too.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #13,964 of 14,084
The DX90 is my go to as a cheap, stable digital transport. Paired with the mojo, you've a setup ready to rival daps several times more expensive than it.

By itself, it works fantastic with a very detailed sound. It's quite flat and neutral all around. I don't think it has any particular treble peak too.

Only drawbacks: Linux/Mac dac function is almost broken. Light popping sounds, and it isn't synced with video. Headphone jacks tend to get overly loose too.
We had life tests done on the sockets. We had them custom made and they are supposed to have a very long life. If you are having issues please contact me.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back