DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #12,828 of 14,084
There is no best chip, all the top end dacs from ESS, TI, AKM, Cirrus, etc, are similar in performance and all have slight sound sigs they imbue into the audio chain.
True, there is no best chip, only preference, and the high end community seems to prefer Burr Brown and Cirrus

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #12,829 of 14,084
True, there is no best chip, only preference, and the high end community seems to prefer Burr Brown and Cirrus

I can't agree with that statement.

Firstly most people haven't heard AKM dac's as they haven't been widely available in daps till recently, there is a wave of new daps coming with AKM dac's, the community can't prefer anything other them if they haven't heard them yet.

Secondly there are just as many daps with ESS dacs as TI and Cirrus. All these dacs have been present in daps with large fan bases.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #12,830 of 14,084

Firstly most people haven't heard AKM dac's as they haven't been widely available in daps till recently, there is a wave of new daps coming with AKM dac's, the community can't prefer anything other them if they haven't heard them yet.

Secondly there are just as many daps with ESS dacs as TI and Cirrus. All these dacs have been present in daps with large fan bases.

And to add, Wolfson (famous WM8740) on AK,FiiO,iBasso,Xuilin to name a few.....

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #12,832 of 14,084
I

I wasn' talking about the DAP community, I was mentioning the high end community. DAPs will never reach real high end

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #12,833 of 14,084

Of course there will be more daps.
smile.gif

2 card slot (preferably full size SD),a little more power from the amp section,removable larger batteries.no blings,no fancy connectivities,no add ons...maybe slightly larger screen..thats gonna get me money when time come for me upgrade.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #12,834 of 14,084
2 card slot (preferably full size SD),a little more power from the amp section,removable larger batteries.no blings,no fancy connectivities,no add ons...maybe slightly larger screen..thats gonna get me money when time come for me upgrade.

X2

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #12,837 of 14,084

But please keep digital output! I use mine as a DAC transport to iDSD connected digital <--> digital and it is phenomenal, low noise floor, transparent musical bliss!

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #12,838 of 14,084
i actually prefer to use the dx90's line out to the idsd's line-in-  i.e. i prefer the dx90 dac to the idsd's dac.  i went back and forth many times to compare, and i hear more detail from the dx90's dac.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #12,839 of 14,084
  i actually prefer to use the dx90's line out to the idsd's line-in-  i.e. i prefer the dx90 dac to the idsd's dac.  i went back and forth many times to compare, and i hear more detail from the dx90's dac.

Interesting. Some of the reviews of the iDSD state that the DAC section is superior and the amp only decent (Class B) but your ears are the ultimate decider.I may try your approach and see if I prefer it but in either case it is nice to retain the option for digital connectivity...a selling point for me at least.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #12,840 of 14,084
I think if the DX90 was 3 or 400 more dollars more would find that both the amp and digital section were better. So many times our bias is that if it costs more it must be better. I can compare the DX90 to many systems, daps, dacs, amps and it does remarkably well. Only the Sony ZX2 has more air and openness but it costs much more so it must be better. lol (I am making fun of myself). But with some music, I prefer neither over the other and I like the lighter weight of the DX90 often. IMO 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back