DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #12,811 of 14,084

What about DAPs?....

Of course there will be more daps.
smile.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #12,812 of 14,084

Of course there will be more daps.
smile.gif

That sounds Good 
smile.gif
and interested to see the price ranges that iBasso targeting.....

edit=> I know it might be too early for you to reveal on the technical front, so with the pricing I can judge what level/performance we can expect from those.
biggrin.gif
especially under $500 region DAP market has multiple brands/models, just like under $150 IEM line-ups.

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #12,814 of 14,084
I paid my dx90 about €400 on Amazon. As I said before, just curious of what will sound better than a dual Sabre dac plus all the stuff in the dx90 for that price. I don't care about screen res, and other shining things. I'm just interested in sq.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #12,815 of 14,084
It seems odd to discontinue the current models when no replacements are on the horizon. 

Usually when a successful product is abruptly discontinued, the reason has to do with the availability/cost of crucial components.  In this case, maybe a component common to both DX50 and DX90 (display screen maybe?) has either been discontinued, or has had a dramitc price increase? 

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #12,816 of 14,084
I paid my dx90 about €400 on Amazon. As I said before, just curious of what will sound better than a dual Sabre dac plus all the stuff in the dx90 for that price. I don't care about screen res, and other shining things. I'm just interested in sq.

Same here. Personally, I'm not even concerned with things like Bluetooth, wi-fi, or even a dazzling UI. Here is all I want in a DAP:

1. Gorgeous, crystal-clear, neutral sound. Bit-perfect playback with as close to zero coloration as possible.
  2. Multiple gain settings that do not alter SQ.
  3. Excellent build quality, from the jacks all the way down to the buttons and screen. (The DX90 is absolutely outstanding in this category.)
  4. Expandable memory (preferably dual micro SD cards).
  5. A parametric equalizer
  6. Decent battery life (which, for me, is 6-8 hours. I don't expect 24 hours on a battery cycle).
  7. A middle-class-friendly price. A guy like me will never, ever own an A&K DAP. It's unlikely that I'll ever pay more than $500 for one in my life. I consider that the absolute upper limit for acceptable pricing, whereas the DX90/X5ii's market values are ideal for my income.

Other things like DSD playback in extreme resolutions and DAC functionality are just bells and whistles to me. I'm not going to pay $30 for DSD copies of the two albums I own that received high-definition releases; and I'm content to keep and use my DX90 as a USB DAC for all of eternity if omitting DAC from a new DAP keeps the product affordable.

I know I'm in the minority here, so bring on the $900 units already! 

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #12,818 of 14,084
  Same here. Personally, I'm not even concerned with things like Bluetooth, wi-fi, or even a dazzling UI. Here is all I want in a DAP:

<Edit...>

Other things like DSD playback in extreme resolutions and DAC functionality are just bells and whistles to me. I'm not going to pay $30 for DSD copies of the two albums I own that received high-definition releases; and I'm content to keep and use my DX90 as a USB DAC for all of eternity if omitting DAC from a new DAP keeps the product affordable.

I know I'm in the minority here... 

Well, then, so am I.

I also want better playlist functionality, being also externally buildable (in JRiver, for example).

But I really don't want another DAP right now. I just want my DX90 not to be forgotten by iBasso. Please continue to support it.

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #12,824 of 14,084
I personally think one dac chip is good for a dap, when experianced desktop dac engineers like Ayre and Calyx only use one dac in their daps it tells you that there is other aspects of dap circuitry that can be enhanced instead of using the pcb space for dual dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back