DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 20, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #12,032 of 14,084
For those who curious about how sharp/slow roll-of works... or does not!

Well, you need to have headphones and ears to hear high frequencies :) Download "Mosquito Tone 2 (Modulated)" from here. With 2.2.0, play it and switch between sharp and slow settings while it is playing. Do you hear any difference? If you don't hear a difference, or just hear nothing, then, probably, you should not bother about this setting at all.

Now, if you hear the difference, leave it at slow, and allow to play to the end. Press "Play" button to start it again. Note, that the sound is the same.

Install 2.1.5 (2.1.8 is unable to play this file!), play that file and ensure that you still hear the difference. Then let it stop with slow, and play it again. Note, that now it sounds like with sharp value. That effectively means that before 2.1.8, the setting worked only for the first played track, and now the bug has been fixed. My sorrow to those who thought that slow sounds better for him before FW 2.1.8 :wink:

Well, but what does cause the difference? The simple is: distortions, parasitic sounds that should be filtered off.

So, if you still wonder what setting is the really best, my answr is: the best is to use hi-res records, because for them the filter works in ultra-sonic area, and the setting does not really matter :D  

I tried, and with sharp roll off I hear less ''interferences''. With slow roll off the sound is less clear. What I hear is a sort of up and down sound wave. I had to crank the volume at 250 to hear well. IEM re 600s

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #12,033 of 14,084

Please try another cable if you can.

I did try 3 cables and all of my ports :frowning2: still cnt seem to detect

Can you read your micro SD Card contents on your computer when you insert the card in an SD card adapter/memory card reader? 

Yes my sd card contents can be read with an adapter  and thats how I updated my songs.
  you can update your firmware by copying the update.img to the root of a FAT32 formatted sd card (via cardreader). After (re)starting the dx90 in recovery mode [Power On][Vol up], the update will be processed by selecting "update firmware from sd card".

Nw my card is in exfat, so it seems I need to format it to FAT32 first, and how do I find the root folder then? This would basicly solve me problems as I could just update my songs and FW with an sd card adapter.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #12,034 of 14,084
how do I format my sd card from exfat to fat32? lol

Sorry for the newbie question

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #12,035 of 14,084
Apr 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #12,037 of 14,084
  After additional comparison of 2.1.5 L2 and 2.2.0 L0 on two DX90, IMO it is almost too close to call.  The 2.1.5 seems to retain a little more energy and sound slightly more dynamic.  I've been using the ESW9LTD to compare the two firmwares, which is a very smooth headphone...so the last thing I need is a firmware that adds additional smoothness...for fear of creating "boring" sound.

friend,how is your opinion on different firmwares 2.15 -> 2.18 -> the current 2.20 

coz I am not familiar with updating firmware, I worry that it will cause any kind of malfunctions during the process, hope you will tell more about the FW, I'd rly appreciate to your reply

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #12,038 of 14,084
Loving stock 2.2 used with Elekit TU-HP01 amp, sounds flat to me, which is all I ask, currently using the sublime T70p.

I do miss the Lurker font.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #12,039 of 14,084
2.2.0 sounds more boring than 2.1.8 and even 2.1.5 from memory. Going from 2.1.8 I immediately felt like the bass was missing. The presentation also felt too laid back for my preferences. Even though you get more transparent mids, it felt too analytical to me. Flatter, yes, but by extension somehow more boring to my ears. Didn't help that I forgot how ugly the font was since I used Lurkers' Roboto. Switched back to 2.1.8 L0 after about 30 minutes of listening.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #12,041 of 14,084
Pure laziness that's all !

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #12,042 of 14,084
I love how iBasso is trying to perfect the DAP's functionality with their firmwares, yet all we seem to be obsessed about here is with the ever so slight (possibly non existent) sound differences. #justaudiophilethings

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #12,044 of 14,084
If you are on Windows google guiformat

Thanks, at first I couldnt format it to fat32, I had to format my card on windows first when its empty before I converted it and it worked.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #12,045 of 14,084
  2.2.0 sounds more boring than 2.1.8 and even 2.1.5 from memory. Going from 2.1.8 I immediately felt like the bass was missing. The presentation also felt too laid back for my preferences. Even though you get more transparent mids, it felt too analytical to me. Flatter, yes, but by extension somehow more boring to my ears. Didn't help that I forgot how ugly the font was since I used Lurkers' Roboto. Switched back to 2.1.8 L0 after about 30 minutes of listening.

Well, I was on 2.1.5.L2 for quite some time and really liked it. Skipped 2.1.8 (so can't really compare it to that one) because of the bugs and installed 2.2.0 (with Lurkers font)
Listening at the moment with XBA-Z5 in my ear and ''boring'' is the last word that comes to my mind. I hear lots of dynamics (also more than enough bass), details and great depth/soundstage => imo it sounds absolutely superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back