DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 19, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #12,017 of 14,084
Paul , may I ask what tracks that you guys are testing it with for new firmware optimization?
i.e vocals , rock , electronic , jazz or classical ?

They aren't testing any tracks and aren't trying to deliberately change the sound. Just trying to fix bugs and make things more functional. 

They stopped trying to optimize the sound the moment they finished designing the hardware for the device.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #12,018 of 14,084

For me 2.2 is the most technically capable firmware to date, but might not be everyone's favorite. Neutral sound has always been a controversial matter, most people would take a colored sound over a neutral one. 2.1.8 sounds like a more colored version of 2.2 imo.

Many thanks for your answer. And about bolded text - I'm from minority of people :)
P.S. And - anyway the 2.1.5 L2 sound is still mine :), just tested now new FW again.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #12,019 of 14,084
Just updated my DX90 to FW 2.2.0 this morning.

Listening now with XBA-Z5 straight out of it. To my surprise it sounds freaking amazing and it even beats the crap out of my 1p2 with SW cable (which I also just tried) this way
eek.gif
=> great synergy!!!

I don't think I've heard better sq out of the DX90 before. I was on the fence of selling it...but now I surely will reconsider that
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #12,020 of 14,084
I've updated the DX90 yesterday. I usually pair it with the Momentum (Over Ear version).

One of favorite album, Because of the Times from Kings of Leon, has never sound so well. Instrument separation, vocals, soundstage, details... have been improved compared to the previous FW, in a good way. The synergy is gorgeous. At each FW release, the Momentum always sounds better.
If you add the mutiple fixs that come with this new 2.2.0 FW, it's definitely the best firmware for my eyes.

I had high hopes for this firmware, and I am very very glad :)

Great work from Ibasso and Lurker0 (especially for his hard work on the previous firmware), wihtout him, the DX90 might be not as good as it is today.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #12,021 of 14,084
After additional comparison of 2.1.5 L2 and 2.2.0 L0 on two DX90, IMO it is almost too close to call.  The 2.1.5 seems to retain a little more energy and sound slightly more dynamic.  I've been using the ESW9LTD to compare the two firmwares, which is a very smooth headphone...so the last thing I need is a firmware that adds additional smoothness...for fear of creating "boring" sound.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #12,022 of 14,084
since most (90%) of my music are 70s-90s album which are very well-mastered, not loudness war material , from 16-44 flac vinyl rips (so very small , if any sibilance and  great analog organic sound) i can not see any FW making a huge difference

i like 2.1.5L2 , i like 2.1.8.L0 and will also try 2.2.0.LO at some point (when i get bored with 2.1.5 / 2.1.8 )

in all cases, i do not have any sibilance wnatsoever with any FW , i am using a K3003 (fantastic iem people should try it)

i guess there is no such thing as a 'best' FW , as it depends what kind of music/recording/format/iem you are using

one thing is certain , the DX90 kicks serious ass
biggrin.gif

once again thanx to paul and all at Ibasso , you guys rock
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #12,023 of 14,084
For those who curious about how sharp/slow roll-of works... or does not!

Well, you need to have headphones and ears to hear high frequencies
smily_headphones1.gif
Download "Mosquito Tone 2 (Modulated)" from here. With 2.2.0, play it and switch between sharp and slow settings while it is playing. Do you hear any difference? If you don't hear a difference, or just hear nothing, then, probably, you should not bother about this setting at all.

Now, if you hear the difference, leave it at slow, and allow to play to the end. Press "Play" button to start it again. Note, that the sound is the same.

Install 2.1.5 (2.1.8 is unable to play this file!), play that file and ensure that you still hear the difference. Then let it stop with slow, and play it again. Note, that now it sounds like with sharp value. That effectively means that before 2.1.8, the setting worked only for the first played track, and now the bug has been fixed. My sorrow to those who thought that slow sounds better for him before FW 2.1.8
wink.gif

Well, but what does cause the difference? The simple is: distortions, parasitic sounds that should be filtered off.

So, if you still wonder what setting is the really best, my answr is: the best is to use hi-res records, because for them the filter works in ultra-sonic area, and the setting does not really matter
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #12,024 of 14,084
IF YOUR HEADPHONE OUTLET IS GIVING YOU PROBLEMS...

my headphone outlet has increasingly become positional.  i periodically have to jiggle or rotate the plug to get both channels.  i don't have the skills to open it up and try to fix it.  so i assumed that sooner or later it would be just too much of a pain, and i'd have to get a new dx90, or whatever ibasso comes out with next [assuming it has a similar quality/value ratio as the dx90]. 

then i remembered the line-out!  it doesn't automatically set itself to maximum; it's controlled by the same volume buttons as the headphone outlet.  so i plugged into the line-out and have no problems.  

some people have complained that the line-out isn't automatically at max, but i disagree.  it's not a bug; it's a feature.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #12,025 of 14,084
IF YOUR HEADPHONE OUTLET IS GIVING YOU PROBLEMS...

my headphone outlet has increasingly become positional.  i periodically have to jiggle or rotate the plug to get both channels.  i don't have the skills to open it up and try to fix it.  so i assumed that sooner or later it would be just too much of a pain, and i'd have to get a new dx90, or whatever ibasso comes out with next [assuming it has a similar quality/value ratio as the dx90]. 

then i remembered the line-out!  it doesn't automatically set itself to maximum; it's controlled by the same volume buttons as the headphone outlet.  so i plugged into the line-out and have no problems.  

some people have complained that the line-out isn't automatically at max, but i disagree.  it's not a bug; it's a feature.

The only problem (with headphones/iems with varying impedance response) with that solution is the much higher output impedance.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #12,026 of 14,084
The only problem (with headphones/iems with varying impedance response) with that solution is the much higher output impedance.

interesting.  do you know what the line-out impedance is?  it's not listed at ibasso's website.  the only thing i could directly compare showed the line-out output level as between the low and medium gain settings on the headphone outlet.  i'm doing some chores at home today, wearing k812s and using the dx90 on line-out and it sounds fine.  just did a quick a-b with the 2 outlets and adjusting the volume a bit, it didn't sound different. [though i make no claims as the quality of my hearing.]

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #12,027 of 14,084
What you can do is add an amp to the line out and you're good to go.

Don't be shy to contact iBasso and send it in for repairs either, they support thier products after warranty I've been told.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #12,028 of 14,084

interesting.  do you know what the line-out impedance is?  it's not listed at ibasso's website.  the only thing i could directly compare showed the line-out output level as between the low and medium gain settings on the headphone outlet.
Sorry, I don't know, but maybe Paul knows the exact value.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #12,029 of 14,084
on doing some more a-b i think the ho has a bit more airiness.  also the ho is louder than the lo, in spite of being on low gain while the lo has an output voltage between low and medium.  so is that a possible effect of higher impedance?  i don't have the technical knowledge to theorize about the volume difference.  the difference in sound is subtle enough, however, that it took a while for me to be able to hear it.  

of course, now that i've heard it i can't ignore it.  that's the curse of listening hard!

i think i will check with ibasso about the possibility of a repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back