DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #10,802 of 14,084
Howdy,

My DX50 has died - well, it hasn't died but the volume up button no longer functions.  I 'repaired' it previously with some paper inserted to force the switch to push in on the receiver but alas, that fix is no longer working.  Probably as I am a clutz and dropped it a few too many times.

As such, I was pondering just getting another DX50 but am wondering what the consensus is on the incremental price jump to the DX90.  For my use the player is either in a car or playing an external speaker (TDK A33 or Thodio Xbox XC) or my headphones while working out (some Grados sr80s).

Its a rather large jump.  I know I don't like the reduction in battery life but at least the batteries are user replaceable.  I also never liked (or was able actually) to make playlists in Musicbee that would transfer to the 50, not sure if it will be any different with the 90.

Thoughts?  Many thanks.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #10,803 of 14,084
Howdy,

My DX50 has died - well, it hasn't died but the volume up button no longer functions.  I 'repaired' it previously with some paper inserted to force the switch to push in on the receiver but alas, that fix is no longer working.  Probably as I am a clutz and dropped it a few too many times.

As such, I was pondering just getting another DX50 but am wondering what the consensus is on the incremental price jump to the DX90.  For my use the player is either in a car or playing an external speaker (TDK A33 or Thodio Xbox XC) or my headphones while working out (some Grados sr80s).

Its a rather large jump.  I know I don't like the reduction in battery life but at least the batteries are user replaceable.  I also never liked (or was able actually) to make playlists in Musicbee that would transfer to the 50, not sure if it will be any different with the 90.

Thoughts?  Many thanks.

What about using the touch screen? You could push volume down and when the screen comes up use your finger to turn it up. Or by an amp and use it LO just a suggestion.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #10,804 of 14,084
I am afraid the touch screen doesn't work for volume control.  I can get it to pull up when I hit volume down but its only up momentarily and touching that pop up screen doesn't let you adjust the volume.  The volume top center on the playback screen is also not possible to hit and adjust the volume with.  That would have been a workable solution but alas, the player doesn't work that way.  I am firmware 1.6.0

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #10,805 of 14,084
N00b question time.

I just got myself a fancy new pair of HD600s and they're absolutely blowing my mind straight out of the box. Up until now I've only used easily-driven IEMs that the DX90 can drive on low gain without any effort at all.  I took for granted that an amplifier would have been totally wasted, except perhaps to modify my sound signature (which I was happy with). Now I'm wondering whether or not I'm likely to benefit from some kind of headphone amp, but I don't know enough about the tech involved to have any idea what compared favorably to the DX90's internal amp.

I've read a lot of testimonials and reviews that rave about the O2, which is squarely in my price range; however, I have no idea whether or not it will actually be worth the investment. Can someone please shed some light on my ignorance?  I'd love an excuse to nab a new piece of tech but I don't want to end up with buyer's remorse.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #10,806 of 14,084
  I am afraid the touch screen doesn't work for volume control.  I can get it to pull up when I hit volume down but its only up momentarily and touching that pop up screen doesn't let you adjust the volume.  The volume top center on the playback screen is also not possible to hit and adjust the volume with.  That would have been a workable solution but alas, the player doesn't work that way.  I am firmware 1.6.0

I don't know, but maybe you could realize on-screen volume adjustment via RockBox.
It is just a guess as I have never installed RB to the DX90.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #10,807 of 14,084
  N00b question time.

I just got myself a fancy new pair of HD600s and they're absolutely blowing my mind straight out of the box. Up until now I've only used easily-driven IEMs that the DX90 can drive on low gain without any effort at all.  I took for granted that an amplifier would have been totally wasted, except perhaps to modify my sound signature (which I was happy with). Now I'm wondering whether or not I'm likely to benefit from some kind of headphone amp, but I don't know enough about the tech involved to have any idea what compared favorably to the DX90's internal amp.

I've read a lot of testimonials and reviews that rave about the O2, which is squarely in my price range; however, I have no idea whether or not it will actually be worth the investment. Can someone please shed some light on my ignorance?  I'd love an excuse to nab a new piece of tech but I don't want to end up with buyer's remorse.

I don't have the DX90 or the HD600 but I do have the DX50 and some high impedance headphones. The increase in perceived sound quality differs per person but I can assure you that you will feel some.

The DX90 is very capable but having an amplifier with more voltage, wattage etc. helps to have a better grip on the drivers of the HD600. From personal experience I can recommend these in your price bracket of around a $100 but not too far off:

Portable:
JDSLabs C5 or C5D
Cayin C5

Photo:

Top right is the DX50 with a C5D - can drive a LOT...

Desktop:
Schiit Magni2 (or used Asgard)
Aune T1 Mk2

If money is no object others can probably help better. I am having an amazing time with my Bottlehead Crack + Speedball and the T90 (250 Ohm) and had a great time with the 600 Ohm T1 as well on that amp. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #10,808 of 14,084
  N00b question time.

O2 will have plenty of power to drive your HD600 be it on battery or powered by AC adapter. The trick is to have the correct gain settings that matches your source in order to get the full performance out of O2. For DX90, You must set at least once of the gain settings to 2.5x or 4x (2.5x if battery powered. 4x if powered from the wall). You can have your O2 with custom gain settings from different suppliers.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #10,809 of 14,084
O2 will have plenty of power to drive your HD600 be it on battery or powered by AC adapter. The trick is to have the correct gain settings that matches your source in order to get the full performance out of O2. For DX50, You must set at least once of the gain settings to 3x or 4.5x (3x if battery powered. 4.5x if powered from the wall). You can have your O2 with custom gain settings from different suppliers.

I don't own a DX50. I'm not trying to be rude, but only to clarify: did you misread my post or accidentally type DX50 when you meant DX90? (Or would the gain settings and other relevant tech be identical between the two iBasso units?)

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #10,810 of 14,084
I don't own a DX50. I'm not trying to be rude, but only to clarify: did you misread my post or accidentally type DX50 when you meant DX90? (Or would the gain settings and other relevant tech be identical between the two iBasso units?)

Sorry that's a misread. DX90 has a bit higher line out than DX50. The gain should be 2.5X and 4X then.  Just edited my post above.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #10,811 of 14,084
The gain setting on the DX90 does not affect the line out of the DX90 so is irrelevant when using an external amp. On the other hand the gain setting on the external amp will matter

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #10,812 of 14,084
My DX90 has reached the hands of Mikhail, let the modding begin 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back