DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Feb 22, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #10,786 of 14,084
I want to try the mod, but my pin is just too short that it dont have any chance for touch the cover plate.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #10,788 of 14,084
I want to try the mod, but my pin is just too short that it dont have any chance for touch the cover plate.

One suggestion is to check if the pin has 2 sections.  There should be a sliding top section, which slides into the slightly bigger bottom section, and is spring loaded.  Maybe your sliding section is not coming out, due to binding?  Try pushing the top  down, and see how far it goes, or if it moves at all, or if you can "unbind" it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #10,789 of 14,084
I seem to recall this pin causing a lot of problems in the first batch of DX50s.  Perhaps someone has a better memory of the early days of the DX50 thread than I, but I recall one DX50 owner reporting that his DX50 would switch itself off whenever he put it in his pocket.  The cause was static electricity building up and the pin, which was initially designed as a ground, was not making proper contact in his unit.  I seem to recall they changed something in the later batches of the DX50 to prevent the problem that guy had from happening to anyone else.  Is it possible they completely abandoned that particular grounding scheme and designed something else for later batches (and likewise incorporated into the DX90 thereafter)? 

The fact that the pin is still there in current production units does not strike me as unusual.  The way to keep costs down is to design something once and keep manufacturing it the same way.  That's why the DX50 and DX90 (and whatever model they come up with next) all share the same chassis. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #10,790 of 14,084
I cut the tape to reveal the pin, and also scratched the little groove in the back plate. Can't say I hear a difference. When Lurker0 says something, I do first, understand later!

I just hope the piece of tape I cut away didn't fall into the player to eventually come in contact with something and make it explode.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #10,792 of 14,084
Feb 22, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #10,794 of 14,084

Nice! Listening to Black Crowes or Black Sabbath?

I'm more of a Black Milk and/or Black Messiah kinda guy 

Lol...no problem as long as the music sounds good to your ears

Just curious: how's the synergy between the DX90 & Spirit Pro?

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #10,795 of 14,084

Lol...no problem as long as the music sounds good to your ears

Just curious: how's the synergy between the DX90 & Spirit Pro?

It's my best portable setup. I was actually planning to get the Classic then I learned about the sound changes from changing the gain. The DX90 on High Gain with the Pro is heavenly. Neutral to slightly warm. Very dynamic. Very spacious and airy. Considerably clearer the classic but just as smooth. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #10,796 of 14,084
There have been some questions about the grounding pin that is not used on the DX90.

On the DX90 if you take off the back you will see a silver strip. This silver strip contacts some grounding tape. This completes the grounding for the back so no pin is needed. The DX90 was modified this way. The pin is there because it was used in the DX50 but is not used on the DX90. The tape on the removable back is conductive and completes the ground.

The silver strip on the removable back is where the anodizing has been removed.

I hope this helps.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #10,797 of 14,084
  There have been some questions about the grounding pin that is not used on the DX90.

On the DX90 if you take off the back you will see a silver strip. This silver strip contacts some grounding tape. This completes the grounding for the back so no pin is needed. The DX90 was modified this way. The pin is there because it was used in the DX50 but is not used on the DX90. The tape on the removable back is conductive and completes the ground.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for clarifying this, Paul.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #10,798 of 14,084

Thanks for clarifying this, Paul.

You bet! Now enjoy the music.
smile.gif

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 23, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #10,800 of 14,084
Yup. It gave everyone just enough time to come up with some crazy (and possibly ruinous) solution (including a supposed improvement to SQ!) to a problem that never existed. I'm always amazed at the Emperor's New Clothes Syndromes I continually read here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back