DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #8,536 of 14,084
  Thank you, it's just that when I apply a little pressure, It doesn't go out. And I don't want to see it flying if I mess up. I was gonna wait until I do at least 100 hours of burn-in to try it, but I guess I can't wait.

Helpful tip:

When I do some work on something with tiny parts, I take everything into our guest bathroom, (CLOSE THE TOILET LID!) and disassemble/pop things out in there since the floor and walls are white.  Anything tiny and black or shiny-metallic colored stands out like a sore thumb if I accidentally drop a piece so I don't waste time and grey hair hunting for that spring or screw that "got away".  I NEVER do work with small parts over carpet or around furniture that the parts can roll under if I can help it. 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #8,537 of 14,084

Helpful tip:

When I do some work on something with tiny parts, I take everything into our guest bathroom, (CLOSE THE TOILET LID!) and disassemble/pop things out in there since the floor and walls are white.  Anything tiny and black or shiny-metallic colored stands out like a sore thumb if I accidentally drop a piece so I don't waste time and grey hair hunting for that spring or screw that "got away".  I NEVER do work with small parts over carpet or around furniture that the parts can roll under if I can help it. 
wink.gif

A shoe box lid can work good for that problem...

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #8,538 of 14,084
Thank you all for the suggestions :) And btw, I have a question of burn in; is it safe to keep the DX90 running for 5 days while linked to the wall plug, or do I have to shut it down for a few hours every day ?

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #8,539 of 14,084
  Anyone have news of the firmware that is supposed to come out for the USB DAC functionality for 64bit Windows?

Just asking since it was supposed to come after the National Days in China which already has passed.

Thanks.

No news and I suspect we have to wait for China's New Year :)

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #8,541 of 14,084
  Thank you all for the suggestions :) And btw, I have a question of burn in; is it safe to keep the DX90 running for 5 days while linked to the wall plug, or do I have to shut it down for a few hours every day ?

I think I had DX90 running plugged-in for 9 days at the longest, just burning-in using the Sennheiser HD-650s since all my headphones had been broken-in by years with the exception of the Photive PH-BTX6 headphones, and they had at least 5 months of heavy use on them already...  Up until a couple of months ago, my best headphones were a pair of ue Super-Fi 3s (3 years regular use or more).  Though I think I liked the VMODA Bass Freqs better. (2 years regular use)  Now the Bass freqs are in my laptop bag, Koss Porta-Pros just arrived - so are still burning-in, but will go in my travel bag, and the Sennheiser HD-650s (Roughly 500 hours of burn-in now) are on a stand next to our home cinema setup.

But I now know I'm not an audiophile because I used to think that those little "disposable" Koss Sparkplug earbuds sounded great, and preferred them to the Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 3s.  Now that I'm a member here on Head-Fi, I can plainly see that I am in the minority for believing them being anything better than marginally-above BAD....  
triportsad.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #8,542 of 14,084
Hey guys, my DX90 finally arrived a couple of days, and ive started the burn in process. Just wanted to ask what firmware everyones came with, as i put the new 2.1 firmware on the device and i cant tell if it installed. Also i dont feel like the bass is strong enough, even with an amp, could that be due to not being burnt it yet, as my headphones are perfect for base, (POLK 8000).  

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #8,543 of 14,084
Once I installed Rockbox the bass improved dramatically. I am in no way a bass head but before Rockbox the bass was taking a back seat now it is up front with its friends. It helped too when I stopped plugging the cans into the wrong location ( I felt pretty silly).

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #8,545 of 14,084
I put rockbox on it and the bass sounds fantastic, I like rockbox so my h from past experi mcd I didn't even try out the stock software

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #8,546 of 14,084
  Hey guys, my DX90 finally arrived a couple of days, and ive started the burn in process. Just wanted to ask what firmware everyones came with, as i put the new 2.1 firmware on the device and i cant tell if it installed. Also i dont feel like the bass is strong enough, even with an amp, could that be due to not being burnt it yet, as my headphones are perfect for base, (POLK 8000).  

i bought mine in the very first batch they had for sale :) ....came with 2.0 firmware.

to check the firmware, go to Settings > Advanced > System Info

For the bass, the DX90 has very good quality bass but not very 'boomy' bass. if the song/music has strong bass in it, it will come through. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #8,548 of 14,084
Interesting update on batteries, I have been doing some testing again, and have found some interesting points. For reference, the post I made a few pages back was based on comprehensive testing done about a year ago!(so with different firmware) Now doing tests again, I have found that the sound quality of batteries changes over time (should be expected really). For example I have been using one of my Japan samsung batteries for over 1.5 years (first DX50, then with DX90). Now I have compared the Japan battery I have used substantially to a brand new one unused Japan battery. They both still have excellent extension, however the older battery has looser and less controlled sound through entire spectrum,also over all just sounds smoother, in other words it is no longer completely balanced in frequency response, due to looser bass and softer treble. Also the older battery now lasts 1.5 hours less, partly due to my abuse/ partly simply from use and wear. As the extension is still very perfect I'm thinking that internal impedance has not changed , but the sound change of looser and less controlled frequency spectrum indicates loss of voltage by use and aging.

An interesting update on the Kinps battery since last I tested it 1 year ago. Also I have not used the battery during this time. The Kinps battery sounds really great at the moment! The extension and frequency balance is actually similar to the new Japan battery! The main difference to my ears between Kinps battery and Japan battery is that the Kinps sounds like a lower gain version of the Japan battery. In other words it sounds really great, yet soft and smooth. The Japan battery sounds much more upfront, treble, bass and mids are all in your face, very balanced, but forceful and extremely detailed. The best way to describe is simply low gain vs high gain. This is incredible to me, although the Japan battery sounds more detailed due to the upfront nature, the Kinps is only a notch behind and coupled with its very smooth sound makes it sound amazing for relaxed listening, while the Japan battery excels for energetic listening. Both sound reference in my opinion due to flat and extended sound, but the Japan battery wins overall due to the extra detail (bear in mind tons of detail is not always a good thing, as I said before, the Kinps is better for relaxed listening).

Now when I first heard the Kinps battery a year ago it had to much bass and also had aggressive upfront sound overall like the new Japan battery, but It seems that being in storage for a year has changed the sound. I had left it at 100% charge, which is bad for battery storage, result meaning that one year later it has lost some internal voltage and also some capacity. But It seems to have balanced out the sound remarkably and also become a lot smoother with age or in other words loss of internal voltage leads to smoother less upfront sound in all batteries, just like the Japan Samsung battery became smoother with age (but that also lost its frequency balance), This aged Kinps battery is remarkably balanced, I am comparing it to the Japan samsung battery! This is amazing for a $10 battery from ebay.

[size=12.7272720336914px](Also keep in mind the aged Japan battery most likely has aged significantly more than the aged Kinps, due to rough use of the Japan battery while Kinps was in storage, so Kinps will still have the higher voltage than the used Japan battery)[/size]

Now for another interesting point, the Kinps battery is supposedly an extended capacity battery, similar to Mugen, also during testing a year ago I found increased playback with the battery, also it is very slightly thicker and heavier than my other batteries (for example, It needs force on back cover to close over it), so extended capacity is [size=12.7272720336914px]confirmed by me 100% (the battery says 3250mAH on it, but it is closer to 2400mAH by my calculations). [/size]

Anyway, this battery sound testing is making me go crazy, there are just to many variables with sound changing etc. All I can say is if you are enjoying your DX90 don't change batteries. But if you are not completely happy with the sound of your DX90 consider changing batteries. To me personally, once I heard the extension and balance of a battery with low internal impedance, there was no going back.

Also I am ordering another Kinps battery so I can test new Kinps vs new Japan vs new Mugen 
biggrin.gif

Bottom Line: Japan battery still King, but otherwise if you want a replacement battery, extended batteries are your best bet (like Kinps etc) as the increased mAH is resulting in increased headroom and lower internal impedance over other standard batteries like pisen etc.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #8,549 of 14,084
Trance, That is an excellent write up!

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #8,550 of 14,084
Trance, you're insane. But no judgement here 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back