DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #8,236 of 14,084
I just upgraded from an iPod Touch 5 Classic (CF mod + Rockbox) + Rock IT R-50 as my main portable rig to the DX90 + Senn IE 80s.

WOW!!! HUGE UPGRADE!!! :D

I have Senn HD 580s and Grado SR325s and a couple nice home desktop DACs/amps but had no idea it would be this much of a jump for my portable rig. Portable is 80% of my listening now so this is a major major deal for me.

Plugging the IE80s in to the iPod or even the iPod + Go-Vibe sounds so muffled now!

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #8,237 of 14,084
I just upgraded from an iPod Touch 5 Classic (CF mod + Rockbox) + Rock IT R-50 as my main portable rig to the DX90 + Senn IE 80s.

WOW!!! HUGE UPGRADE!!!
biggrin.gif

I have Senn HD 580s and Grado SR325s and a couple nice home desktop DACs/amps but had no idea it would be this much of a jump for my portable rig. Portable is 80% of my listening now so this is a major major deal for me.

Plugging the IE80s in to the iPod or even the iPod + Go-Vibe sounds so muffled now!

Congratulations!  Welcome to the fold.   :)

Also, I salute your taste in Avatars.  Zim rules all!  LOL

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8,238 of 14,084
I like Jamoto8 typically use the DX90 without an amp as well..  My default headphones in "mobile mode" are either Grado 225e (I don't use r=them on a plane or train, so I don't have to worry about the open backs disturbing others...  I use them in my hotel room.)  :)

Here at home I just got the ASGARD 2 today which is an amp a couple of tiers below the Lyr 2 that Jamoto8 has, but Nick T. at Schiit was super-helpful, and answered all of my questions.  He stated that the ASGARD 2 should still be sufficient to drive the new Sennheiser HD-650s I just got that are a bit harder to drive than the Grados or anything else I've got.

"All of our amps will drive the HD-650s well, but the three top choices, in order, depending on your budget and tube preference, would be Valhalla 2, Vali, and Asgard 2.

Nick T.

Schiit Tech
[COLOR=0072C6]tech@schiit.com"[/COLOR]

I too recommend that you let it burn-in for at least a couple of days running constantly, or ~50 hours-worth before you make any evaluations about how good it can sound, as mine also became more enjoyable for me to listen to after a few days.  (I just got mine last week, so I'm a DX90 newbie as well!)  Welcome to the DX90 club, and most importantly, ENJOY THE MUSIC! 

Ken N.

Be great to hear your impressions once you've had a good listen. Am trying to weigh up between Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, and it's going to be hard for me to go and audition....

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #8,239 of 14,084
Be great to hear your impressions once you've had a good listen. Am trying to weigh up between Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, and it's going to be hard for me to go and audition....

Hi Olchon!

I'm still letting them burn-in (The DX90, HD-650s and the ASGARD 2)  After running 18 hours, my initial impressions:

DX90 -> ASGARD 2 (Low Gain) - With Grado SR225e:  Nice but BRIGHT high-end, decent mids, a little light in the lows.  Bass is sharp - but a bit understated.   Hope this evens-out a bit as both the Asgard and Grados burn-in (Both are new with the Grados at about 90 hours and the ASGARD 2 at just over 18 hours.)  Though I can't imagine the Grados changing from being bright, but hopefully it will mellow at least a little.  Can't see using them above the 9-o' clock position on the volume dial.  Soundstage is as good as I've ever heard outside of Sennheisers.  Think 5th row seats - instruments and vocals definitely in front and slightly-above you.

DX90 -> ASGARD 2 (High Gain) - With Sennheiser HD-650:  "Civilized" - but extremely-detailed high-end, equally-detailed mids, a warm and lows.  Bass is sharp - but a bit understated.   Hope this evens-out a bit as both the Asgard and Grados burn-in (Both are new with the Grados at about 90 hours and the ASGARD 2 at just over 18 hours.)  Though I can't imagine the Grados changing from being bright, but hopefully it will mellow at least a little.  Can see using them regularly almost at highest setting on the volume dial.  (Say, 8.5 out of 10)    Soundstage is amazing.  Even better than my Sennheiser RS-180s, and they had been the best I had heard before I started upgrading to get the most out of my DX90!  Think 5th row seats - instruments and vocals on a crescent-shaped stage that wraps around to 45 degrees on both sides, and slightly-above you.

MOTIVATIONS

While I'm awed that these are likely to get even better with just burn-in, to be honest, I REALLY didn't want to do this.  I just wanted to be SURE that I was making the right move with connecting my Grados to my DX90 directly.  I wasn't looking to do more than that.  All the ADs, sales pitches, and expert accounts around the web were just guidelines for me so that I'd at least know what direction to start in.  But man, it's hard to settle for less once you've heard this level of performance.  (No upgrades to D810s from my D800 & D700 this year!  I just blew a hole in my camera budget...)

INITIAL THOUGHTS

The Grado 225e headphones stay.  They sound great with the DX90's internal amp.  Better than any other MP3 player I've ever heard, and I LOVE my little Samsung YP-P2!  This will now be my "Mobile rig" for hotel-room listening.  (I have a Bluetooth mobile rig for plane/train rides that won't offend every other passenger near me nearly as much.)  They aren't too bright, and are just shy of providing "harsh detail", but not quite tiring to listen to for extended periods.  (Hoping they will get even just a bit "mellower" in time, and the earpads need to be treated to some soapy water to soften them up a bit.)  The DX90 just doesn't have enough "juice" in its internal amp to power the HD-650s to a satisfying degree.  It will work, but they take-no what I'm guessing people refer to as the "Sennheiser veil", and while not bad, I actually like the Grados much better.  Even my cheapie $60 Photive PH-BTX6 sound better to me straight from the DX90 when listened-to in cabled-mode instead of Bluetooth-mode.

The Sennheiser HD-650 and ASGARD 2 stay.  I really just wanted to prove to myself that I didn't need "more" than the DX90...  Plan back-fired!  This goes in the loft where the big screen, media center, and Surround-sound stage are.  A set of Sennheiser RS180s (one for me and one for my wife/guests) will be relegated to movies full-time, and the HD650s will be hung by the recliner for eyes closed, melt-into the chair audio sessions.

ASGARD 2 - This is where I draw the line FOR ME, and right now.  I do already see where more power COULD bring out more of their potential.  But I'm not prepared to dip my toes in "the next level" until I understand MUCH more about the principals, equipment, options, and how the combinations of componentry affect the "whole sound".  Maybe once I understand more about balanced components, and the like.

Next foreseeable component - Dedicated DAC auditions!  To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the FIIO e17 and the DX90 used as a straight DACs.  Maybe moving up to a Bifrost or at least a Loki will make a difference.  But for right now, I'm happy with using either while the other is used on the go.  (I have a work-provided iPhone, so that bundled with the FIIO e17 for day-trips, or taking the dedicated DX90 for extended ones.) 

This is my honest, No "equipment acquisition disease" opinion.  (I know what that feels like as I have a terminal case of it when it comes to my photography!)  :wink:

Evaluation Music  (Assume 44100Hz but 88200Hz if **)
Roger Waters "Amused To Death" (16-bit/680) FLAC
Kitaro "Silk Road" (16-bit/787) FLAC
Eddie Grant "Greatest Hits Collection" (16-bit/962) FLAC
Queen "Greatest Hits" (24-bit/1831) FLAC
Shostakovich - "Various Piano Music" (16-bit/464) FLAC
Thelonius Monk "Solo Monk" (16-bit/697) FLAC
Holst "The Planets" (16-bit/553) FLAC
YES "90125" (16-bit/981) FLAC
Metallica "Nothing Else Matters" & "One" (24-bit/2818) FLAC
John Denver "A Songs Best Friend" (16-bit/757) FLAC
Michael Jackson "Thriller" (24-bit/3000**) FLAC
Miles Davis "Quiet Nights" (24-bit/2747**) FLAC

MP3
"Attack On Titan OST"  4800Hz, 320kbps

Sorry so lengthy, but I wanted to try and include everything that I would have liked to know when I was looking to buy.  :)

Best of luck - and above all else,

ENJOY THE MUSIC!

Ken N.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #8,240 of 14,084

Hi Olchon!

I'm still letting them burn-in (The DX90, HD-650s and the ASGARD 2)  After running 18 hours, my initial impressions:

Let them burn in more... Like many other's my initial impressions of the DX 90 were not positive at all. It sounded kind of shrill or thin... the opposite of natural. But now after 100 hours the sound really has changed, opened up. Now it sounds so natural and fluid... very detailed but not shrill or thin anymore. I'll give it another 100 hours of burn in to see if it improves even further afterwards I'll stop the process and will do all the burn in by listening to music normally.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #8,241 of 14,084

Let them burn in more... Like many other's my initial impressions of the DX 90 were not positive at all. It sounded kind of shrill or thin... the opposite of natural. But now after 100 hours the sound really has changed, opened up. Now it sounds so natural and fluid... very detailed but not shrill or thin anymore. I'll give it another 100 hours of burn in to see if it improves even further afterwards I'll stop the process and will do all the burn in by listening to music normally.

I certainly will!  I'm looking forward to hearing if I am able to detect any changes next week vs. my recollections of the sounds this week.

My wife will be pleased once the burn-ins are done as her eye twitches every time she walks past a device that is "running unattended" and can't turn it off as I've "forbidden her" from doing so....(Her words, not mine!)  If you want a spouse to DO something, suggest to them that they CAN'T! 
biggrin.gif

Credit where credit is due though, she's a major "enabler" of my newly-found audio obsession.  She's the one saying, "Wow, those sound SO much better!  You should keep those!"  (Her initial response upon listening to the Grado SR225e headphones vs the Apple earbuds and "low-end"/Bluetooth headphones we've been listening to.)  Next step is the blind-folded A/B comparisons with the HD-650s and RS-180s.  Sennheiser vs. Sennheiser!  I'm wondering which one she'll pick?  I'm doing that with her before the HD-650 vs. Grado SR225e challenge as the feel and "fit" of the two are so obviously different.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #8,242 of 14,084
2 more questions on the DX90 - 

1) Any advice on best brand batteries to use as replacements for the DX90?  I noticed that Amazon has these ones, which have a little more power than Samsung OEM - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNJJPSG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33M6ORQGPS2DM&coliid=I24RDUFR5WC5L8

Has anybody tried them?  I mostly am wondering if they fit.  Otherwise, they seem worth a try.

2) Somebody mentioned that you can easily switch out micro SD cards on the DX90 without turning off the unit.  Is that true?  I figure if I fill up three of the 128 gb micro sd cards, I would be able to have a decent mobile collection if I can switch them easily.  Given the price of the cards, I definitely want to make sure I don't damage them by swapping them out (in the event that doing such could damage them).

Thanks in advance.  I am loving the unit so far, and it only has about 40 hours of burn in so far.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #8,243 of 14,084
  2) Somebody mentioned that you can easily switch out micro SD cards on the DX90 without turning off the unit.  Is that true?  I figure if I fill up three of the 128 gb micro sd cards, I would be able to have a decent mobile collection if I can switch them easily.  Given the price of the cards, I definitely want to make sure I don't damage them by swapping them out (in the event that doing such could damage them).

This should not be a problem.  I doubt that you will have to swap cards too often. Unless you scatter your favorite tracks across 3 cards that you have to swap cards too often. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,244 of 14,084
Has anyone tried the 7000mAh Hyperion batteries? http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Extended-HoneyComb-Compatible-GT-i9300/dp/B009E6THYG does seem to come in handy, especially when 512gb - 1tb microsds come out.. also, at this price.. why the heck not. only problem would be destroying the dignis case. I haven't yet tried the 3000mAh samsung battery, so I don`t know if it already stretches the case to its max, would love some comment on that.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #8,245 of 14,084
Has anyone tried the 7000mAh Hyperion batteries? http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Extended-HoneyComb-Compatible-GT-i9300/dp/B009E6THYG does seem to come in handy, especially when 512gb - 1tb microsds come out.. also, at this price.. why the heck not. only problem would be destroying the dignis case. I haven't yet tried the 3000mAh samsung battery, so I don`t know if it already stretches the case to its max, would love some comment on that.

i think the battery is longer than the dx90 lol
its like 2 batteries attached together

3000 mah barely fits with the case

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #8,248 of 14,084
  2 more questions on the DX90 - 

1) Any advice on best brand batteries to use as replacements for the DX90?  I noticed that Amazon has these ones, which have a little more power than Samsung OEM - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNJJPSG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33M6ORQGPS2DM&coliid=I24RDUFR5WC5L8

Has anybody tried them?  I mostly am wondering if they fit.  Otherwise, they seem worth a try.

I have this ravpower for about 2 months now.. it fits perfectly on the DX90 but I couldn't tell any sound difference between a samsung batt to this (may be it's just me) LoL but it does give me an hour more of battery life vs the samsung batts that I swap with. Samsung batts on 24/192-96 files last about 5hrs max non-stop play and the ravpower 6hrs max.

Hope this info helps and good luck. :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #8,250 of 14,084
Here's a nice external battery solution, just to let you know that it is available.  Found in HK at Shum Shui Po Golden Computer City, 1st floor shop close to the escalator for HK$168.  It may be harder to find elsewhere,  but somebody will spot an online reseller.  (I couldn't fine one)

I've used it (not a lot) and it works great, as a reserve for the odd time when you need it.  And the black color battery with the black Dignis case seems almost a purpose made solution.  
And yes, you can use the DX90 while it is charging from the external battery.  It has a 1.5 A max output.

I was carrying an external battery the size of an iTouch, which I already thought was a pretty neat solution, until I saw this one.

This is so slim that you barely notice it, just holding it stacked under the DX90.  It's also easy to carry with you,  as it is so slim, and it serves double duty, to charge your phone, or DX90.

To give an idea of the size, it's just slightly thicker than the Samsung S3 battery, and two S3 batteries side by side (not end to end) is just 10 mm longer than the Xxlpower battery, and almost the exact same width.

Xxlpower 4500 Mah

Battery:Lithium-Polymer Battery
Battery Capacity:4500mAH
Charging Time about (charging capacity):2~3 Hours
Battery Life About:500 times
Size:7.5 x 65 x 92 mm

And  I built a lower section cable for the Sennheiser IE800, out of curiousity whether it woud improve over the stock cable.  Built the 3.5 mm plug end, with the new wire, terminated to a 3.5 mm female plug, with a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter, so I would not need to touch the upper earphone end with it's 2.5 mm plug. (I couldn't find a 2.5 mm female plug).  Used a 4 wire braided cable, I think it is silver plated.  This is from a local audio company, so it is made for earphone applications.

I did not know what to expect, but was totally surprised.  It opened up the sound.  Became more detailed and "holographic".  Took it up another level, even though it is not optimally wired direct to a 2.5 mm female plug.  Nor is it the best wire.  I paid about HK$300 for 1 meter, though that was the sale price at the audio show.    I'll rewire it once I find a 2.5 f emale plug, even a circuit board mount one.  So, the IE800 cable can be improved, even without changing the short wire to the earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back