DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Sep 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #8,266 of 14,084
I will get back to you I'm on a trip right now just getting out of Death Valley in California

it is amazing what you can do with smartphones these days

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #8,267 of 14,084
Unfortunately just realized my line out got bad connection on right channel, still in return period, So I just reorder  A new one since beside this I perfectly satisfied with it (better use Amazon than MP4 Nation if you got this problem!)
Also I got a new HD650  I know I got to wait but so far theHD598 is better will see after some burn in

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #8,268 of 14,084
  Unfortunately just realized my line out got bad connection on right channel, still in return period, So I just reorder  A new one since beside this I perfectly satisfied with it (better use Amazon than MP4 Nation if you got this problem!)
Also I got a new HD650  I know I got to wait but so far theHD598 is better will see after some burn in

I had the exact same problem. I contacted iBasso, who asked me to send it back to them, and as soon as I had a shipping number (before they even got it) they sent me a replacement via fedex - I got the replacement 3-4 days after sending them my DX90! it was a terrific service and I was very, very happy with it.

So I would encourage anyone to contact iBasso directly for any issues with the DX90, and to buy directly from them.

Regarding the HD-650 vs the HD598, I never heard the 598, but I wouldn't even attempt to drive the 650 straight from the DX-90. It needs substantially more power. It sounds great on my desktop amp...

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8,270 of 14,084

Regarding the HD-650 vs the HD598, I never heard the 598, but I wouldn't even attempt to drive the 650 straight from the DX-90. It needs substantially more power. It sounds great on my desktop amp...

Well I am aware of it I have a FiioE12 probably  not the combination But after the burn in Time I will compare them and will decide my options

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #8,271 of 14,084

I would agree.  The DX90 at hi gain and full volume will make my HD650s audible, but not enjoyable.  If I patch through my FIIO e17 as amp-only, then it gets good enough for casual listening.  Through the built-in headphone amp of my consumer-grade Panasonic Home Theater system, it's enjoyable.  Through the Schiit Audio ASGARD headphone amp, it is easy to get lost in the enjoyment.  Scary to think that the HD650s will scale even further to sound better if I up the component quality again!  For reference, my Sennheiser RS-180 wireless set sound better to both me and more importantly, my wife, than the HD650s do just from the DX90.  It's a rather "thin" experience for my tastes...

On the other hand, the Grado SR225e headphones are driven easily by the DX90 even at the lowest gain setting, and if they are too bright in the highs for your tastes, you can afford to lose some volume when you engage the EQ on the DX90.  But the detail is definitely there!

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #8,272 of 14,084
I went to the local high end audio shop looking for new headphones, and instead they demoed the Chord Hugo. I went back with my iBasso and Shure 1840 headphones and did a direct apple stop apples comparison between the ibasso dx90 and the Hugo, using the ibasso as a source and swapping the headphones between them on the same tracks.

I'm really sorry to say there is no comparison :frowning2:. The Hugo is far and away the best sound I've ever heard. I was really happy with the ibasso sound, but comparing it to the Hugo makes it sound like there's an extra filter, or layer of drywall between the music and my ears. I ended up with the Hugo and now use the ibasso as the source only (damn, shouldn't have given away my dx50 :).

I still use the ibasso-only on trips, and when running with my IEMs but not when I have the time or space to set up the Hugo. That thing is the best sound I've ever known. Just wish it was cheaper :).

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #8,273 of 14,084
I went to the local high end audio shop looking for new headphones, and instead they demoed the Chord Hugo. I went back with my iBasso and Shure 1840 headphones and did a direct apple stop apples comparison between the ibasso dx90 and the Hugo, using the ibasso as a source and swapping the headphones between them on the same tracks.

I'm really sorry to say there is no comparison :frowning2:. The Hugo is far and away the best sound I've ever heard. I was really happy with the ibasso sound, but comparing it to the Hugo makes it sound like there's an extra filter, or layer of drywall between the music and my ears. I ended up with the Hugo and now use the ibasso as the source only (damn, shouldn't have given away my dx50 :).

I still use the ibasso-only on trips, and when running with my IEMs but not when I have the time or space to set up the Hugo. That thing is the best sound I've ever known. Just wish it was cheaper :).

Um, yeah lol!

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #8,274 of 14,084

Dude its the HUGO!! lol

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #8,275 of 14,084
IT certainly ain't cheap, big bucks for a portable amp/dac. I bet it sounds fabulous. I'm using a much more frugal combo I'm really loving, DX50 into Cayin C5 amp. Pairs really nicely with my Earsonic SM64, great sounding combo for (relatively) pennies. Got to hear that Chord one of these days....then again, maybe better if I don't.:D

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #8,276 of 14,084
IT certainly ain't cheap, big bucks for a portable amp/dac. I bet it sounds fabulous. I'm using a much more frugal combo I'm really loving, DX50 into Cayin C5 amp. Pairs really nicely with my Earsonic SM64, great sounding combo for (relatively) pennies. Got to hear that Chord one of these days....then again, maybe better if I don't.:D

Yeah, it really is worth getting a demo. What made me take the plunge was finding out it could drive my JM Labs Focal home speakers via the power amp as well as using it as a portable DAC paired to the dx90 as source.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #8,277 of 14,084
Tru, if it works in the Big Rig, the cost is less prohibitive,if you need it. I have 2 nice dac's, one part of my Peachtree GrandPre, and a separate one, from Mojo Audio, a tubed dac that rocks, feeding my Krell Amp/Thiel speakers. I'm sure there are better dac's out there for 5 figures or close, but the system as is puts a smile on my face and a bounce in my feet. Still, really curious to hear the baby, there's an audio show in Brooklyn this weekend, don't know if they're going to be there (or even if i'll be able to make it, but I'll try), would be great if I get to check them out. In the meantime, enjoy what sounds like a fine system

:beerchug:

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #8,279 of 14,084
  I wanted to ask if the DX90 can serve as a dedicated USB DAC running off the computer.

Thanks, 

Andy

It will... just a matter of time...

well technically it does now. But its not microsoft authorized i believe

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #8,280 of 14,084

It will... just a matter of time...

well technically it does now. But its not microsoft authorized i believe

I thought there is already a workaround for Windoz. Anyway, I'm on OSX which looks like it just won't ever happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back