DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,891 of 14,084
My DX90 just arrived. Wow!

I pulled the sd (64G) out of my J3 and put it in and scanned. No problems - I thought I'd have issues as I'd read you should only have music files on the card - but I have cover.jpg file in every album directory. Works fine and displays the album art no problem.

Driving my also-new Alpha Dogs - sounding damn good!

What's best way to ask for feature requests?

I listen to Classical by album which I've encoded as the piece (not the album it was on) and everything else is encoded as "Pop". So my favourite listening mode for Pop is by Genre then ALL tracks on Random (which you can do on the J3). After selecting Genre the only option is to drill down to via Artist then Album.

Jon

May 13, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4,892 of 14,084

Both ->

DX90 (Screen off) with built in amp VS DX90 (Screen off) with Little Dot mk3  (latter is noisier)

AND

DX90 (Screen off) with Little Dot mk3 VS DX90 (Screen on) with Little Dot mk3 (latter is noisier)

This therefore suggests that both the built in amp, and the screen of dx90 give off noise. 
Just that with the DX90 + built in amp, the noise generated by the screen was probably not notable

If you don't hear the noise with a different amplifier or through the HO that means the tube amp is amplifying too much other than the actual signal. Remember all components emit noise, the question is how much does the amplifier affects unwanted noise. I think it's common with tube amps which is the reason why people love them or hate them.

May 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #4,893 of 14,084
Can anyone else elaborate on the black background of the DX90? The fact that apparently noise is there is bothering. Many people say that the X5 gives off 0 background noise so I want to make sure.

May 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,894 of 14,084
If you don't hear the noise with a different amplifier or through the HO that means the tube amp is amplifying too much other than the actual signal. Remember all components emit noise, the question is how much does the amplifier affects unwanted noise. I think it's common with tube amps which is the reason why people love them or hate them.

Can anyone else elaborate on the black background of the DX90? The fact that apparently noise is there is bothering. Many people say that the X5 gives off 0 background noise so I want to make sure.

As such there isn't any electronic circuit that does not emit noise, that is just a physical reality one must live with. What the manufacturers attempt to do is to minimize it. Interference might be what you are referring to (in the prior post about the tube amp). That is the crosstalk signal from one source impacting another and vice versa. For example if you move your cell phone at close proximity to the player, you'll hear the interference signal from the cell phone affecting the player through your headphones/iems. I have use the DX90 long enough to know that at reasonable listening levels by itself or with solid state amps, the DX90 has a dark background, you can hear a pin drop and the only noise you can hear is called music, and at a very good SQ to boot.

May 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4,895 of 14,084

You have to read and undertand the topic from the beginning. You just picked up the word "noise" in the statement and your alarm bell just went off.

The noise we are talking about is through a tube amp. Now before you worry about noise on DX90, check first how noisy a tube amp can be compared to a solid state amp.

The fact the noise floor through the tube amp is already high, any variance in the input signal no matter how small will be noticeable.

May 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #4,897 of 14,084
So... I cancelled my O2 amp order and got a Little Dot Mk3

Loving the music.. :)  

Nice looking amp. Congrats!

Tube amps are not inherently noisy - mine are black. However individual tubes can obviously be noisy.

Is the DX90 plugged into the wall/computer when this occurring or does it happen on battery power too? Do you get the same noise using your ciems?

May 14, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #4,898 of 14,084
My travelling rig all packed up.

SR71-B, DX90, JH13, all cables TWau Reference and a credit card sized microSD holder for 8 cards. All packed in a Peli1030 case.

May 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4,899 of 14,084
Nice looking amp. Congrats!

Tube amps are not inherently noisy - mine are black. However individual tubes can obviously be noisy.

Is the DX90 plugged into the wall/computer when this occurring or does it happen on battery power too? Do you get the same noise using your ciems?

You have to read and undertand the topic from the beginning. You just picked up the word "noise" in the statement and your alarm bell just went off.

The noise we are talking about is through a tube amp. Now before you worry about noise on DX90, check first how noisy a tube amp can be compared to a solid state amp.

The fact the noise floor through the tube amp is already high, any variance in the input signal no matter how small will be noticeable.

Sorry for causing a bit of confusion. dx90 itself has NO noise issue!! It is the tube amp that is making the noise appear! What I was referring to is that when the screen is on, the tube amp picks up noise and as soon as the screen is off, the noise is gone. The noise issue is not the dx90 but the tube amp as many pointed out. But, with the screen off, there is very little noticeable noise! You'd have to really focus to find it!

Thanks Pudu, noise comes up regardless of how dx90 is plugged or not plugged in. I think the issue is that the tube amp is very sensitive and it is amplifying everything including the smallest interference. Note, I'm using 10x gain because it is the dt880 600ohm. Though, I have to say, I don't really go anything higher than 9oclock on the volume knob.

May 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #4,900 of 14,084
  How loud do they go? 

Edit: didn't quote enough - this is re DX90 powering Alpha Dogs ...

Plenty. On good quality classical music, I'm at my comfortable sound level at around 230/255 in LOW gain setting. With some pumpy pop music I have to turn it down. Up at 255/255 it sounds very sweet, but a bit more volume that I'd use for more than a (favourite) songs worth. :)

For comparision, with the J3 I had to jack it pretty much up to around 38/40 depending on the track, and most "non-loud" tracks were at 40 and wanting more.

May 14, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #4,901 of 14,084
Sorry for causing a bit of confusion. dx90 itself has NO noise issue!! It is the tube amp that is making the noise appear! What I was referring to is that when the screen is on, the tube amp picks up noise and as soon as the screen is off, the noise is gone. The noise issue is not the dx90 but the tube amp as many pointed out. But, with the screen off, there is very little noticeable noise! You'd have to really focus to find it!

Thanks Pudu, noise comes up regardless of how dx90 is plugged or not plugged in. I think the issue is that the tube amp is very sensitive and it is amplifying everything including the smallest interference. Note, I'm using 10x gain because it is the dt880 600ohm. Though, I have to say, I don't really go anything higher than 9oclock on the volume knob.

It looks like too high of a gain. Set it to a lower gain, 4X or lower and see if that helps with the noise.

May 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #4,903 of 14,084
got mine from mp4nation, they shipped fast as soon as they had it on stock. but if out of stock, well they didnt do a good job in answering questions that time. but they did arrive. i cant remember but i think it's manufacturer warranty - ill check later for the covered time

May 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #4,905 of 14,084
Does it fit all including the stack dx90+SR71B? Isnt it shacky inside or it has a perfect fit?

The case comes with a thick wavy rubber inner lining that I had to cut out leaving just the sealing rim for closing the lid tight. I then cut a rectangle of foam to use as a base and now all fit snug and secure with no ratteling or movement at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back