DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #4,666 of 14,084
My post was buried and still unable to find a better way.
Anyone found a better solution or is there any..

I have not once had a problem with the screens sensitivity or opening folders by accident. Maybe you should revise your finger swiping technique 
confused_face.gif
 Try quick flicks to get the page to scroll down a lot by the "inertia" of your quick swipe, rather than swiping your finger down in slow large swipes.

May 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,667 of 14,084
  1x for your iems 4x for your headphones. O2 using a wall adapter can put out 7vrms max (4.5Vrms on battery power). DX90's LO is 1.7 Vrms. 7 / 1.7 is approximately 4 so 4x is the max gain you can set O2 for DX90. 

By default O2 has 2.5x and 6.5x gain settings. If you need the high gain, O2 will distort/clip the signal past 4x and you limit how much the volume pot can travel. Eliminate the unwanted gain so you can make full use of the volume pot at high gain without worrying about clipping.

For the sake of completeness, the EHP-O2 gain is set at 1x and 5x and to get a 4x mod, will need to wait for parts.

I was also told by the manufacturer that 1x will drive the DT880 600ohm adequately (unless I listen to it at a relatively loud volume).

So based on the 7/1.7 = 4, 4x being the max gain that the O2 can do for DX90:
I think the way around it would be to NOT use the line out port when I need to use the 5x gain, but use the headphone out port at LOW gain (1.3;  7/1.3 is approximately 5.)

The amp should arrive early next week, hopefully it all pairs well.

May 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4,668 of 14,084

For the sake of completeness, the EHP-O2 gain is set at 1x and 5x and to get a 4x mod, will need to wait for parts.

I was also told by the manufacturer that 1x will drive the DT880 600ohm adequately (unless I listen to it at a relatively loud volume).

So based on the 7/1.7 = 4, 4x being the max gain that the O2 can do for DX90:
I think the way around it would be to NOT use the line out port when I need to use the 5x gain, but use the headphone out port at LOW gain (1.3;  7/1.3 is approximately 5.)

The amp should arrive early next week, hopefully it all pairs well.

It also makes sense, the amp of DX90 is clean enough (low gain) and should serve as pre-amp to O2. LO S/N is -119 and HO at low gain is -118. So it should work. If 1x is good enough for you to drive DT880 then you don't need an amp. O2 at 1x is simply passing the same signal level from input to output in it's simplest sense.

May 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4,669 of 14,084

It also makes sense, the amp of DX90 is clean enough (low gain) and should serve as pre-amp to O2. LO S/N is -119 and HO at low gain is -118. So it should work. If 1x is good enough for you to drive DT880 then you don't need an amp. O2 at 1x is simply passing the same signal level from input to output in it's simplest sense.

So I guess it would be best if I use the 5x gain with HO of DX90 at low gain - thereby maximizing the voltage supply to the headphones and drive the 600ohm beast adequately? 
Obviously I can then adjust the volume on the amp/DX90 to my normal listening requirement?

May 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,671 of 14,084
My post was buried and still unable to find a better way.
Anyone found a better solution or is there any..

I have not once had a problem with the screens sensitivity or opening folders by accident. Maybe you should revise your finger swiping technique :confused_face:  Try quick flicks to get the page to scroll down a lot by the "inertia" of your quick swipe, rather than swiping your finger down in slow large swipes.

It still happens to me, as suggested quick flicks is the way to go. The top left backward button is truly small, you got to make sure you select it and not the folder list just below. This is one area where a bigger button would have been useful.

May 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,672 of 14,084
  You can still use the LO at 5x as long as you don't need to set the volume pot past 2 o'clock position in O2 to avoid clipping.

Thank you for the information @headwhacker :)

Lastly, I know that the sound quality improvement is not going to be night and day, but am I right in assuming that with the O2 amp driving the DT880, it will sound "better" than just DX90 on high gain alone?

May 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4,673 of 14,084

Thank you for the information @headwhacker :)

Lastly, I know that the sound quality improvement is not going to be night and day, but am I right in assuming that with the O2 amp driving the DT880, it will sound "better" than just DX90 on high gain alone?

I think I will leave it to you to answer that question. I don't have a DT880 so I can't know for sure. But I'm confident O2 has enough juice to drive 880 until your ears bleed. :)

May 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,674 of 14,084
I went ahead and ordered the orange leather case for mine. Should have it tomorrow! 

I'm really enjoying the DX90 so far and very happy with my purchase. Album art isn't showing up, but haven't really messed with it either. But just dragging and dropping folders from my iTunes media folder onto the microSD card, and no problems scanning and recognizing all songs. I'm actually very pleased with how snappy the interface is and how responsive the touch screen is. 

May 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,675 of 14,084
iTunes artwork is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the artwork is imbedded in the music file and then DX90 will se it (if the size of the picture isn't too big) but sometimes the artwork is in the iTunes metadata and not in the file and then DX90 wont see it

May 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #4,676 of 14,084
iTunes artwork is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the artwork is imbedded in the music file and then DX90 will se it (if the size of the picture isn't too big) but sometimes the artwork is in the iTunes metadata and not in the file and then DX90 wont see it

I've managed to make my DX90 recognize all sizes of artwork. I used iCoverArt to embed all the downloaded artwork in iTunes. I then converted all my non-High-Res stuff to AACs of equivalent bit rate and all my high-Res (other than DSD) to ALAC. Seems like the embedding system for ALACs and AACs in dbPoweramp is particularly robust.

Kojaku

May 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,677 of 14,084

I got the black one.  It's identical to the one I got for AK100, which I think is BETTER than the brown one that came with my AK120 that got scratches SO easily:

Painful isnt' it?  I didn't even use my AK240 case as I don't want to repeat the same horror.

Not sure if the DX brown cases used the AK120 leather but I rather not risk it and got the black to be safe (both in looks and materials):

As far as I can tell, both cases used the same kind of leather.

May 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #4,678 of 14,084
I've managed to make my DX90 recognize all sizes of artwork. I used iCoverArt to embed all the downloaded artwork in iTunes. I then converted all my non-High-Res stuff to AACs of equivalent bit rate and all my high-Res (other than DSD) to ALAC. Seems like the embedding system for ALACs and AACs in dbPoweramp is particularly robust.

Kojaku

Will give that a try. With flac album art of 1500x1500 did not show on DX90 but reduced to 700x700 does.

May 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4,680 of 14,084

Users who are viewing this thread

Back