DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4,636 of 14,084
Depends: the AK120 with W4R is great for its warm sound, which is not exactly right for DubSteps and EDMs, or even some Pop; the DX90 with NuForce Primo 8 is pretty neutral and great for it's front and center mids and acoustic sounds.  Go listen to Lindsey Stirling: Shatter Me with the DX90 and you will know exactly what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback! Have you tried the W4r with the dx90? How was the synergy?

May 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4,637 of 14,084
Thanks for the feedback! Have you tried the W4r with the dx90? How was the synergy?

Yes and it could work but I won't recommend it unless you can get a pair for cheap.  But of course highly dependent on what kind of sound you are aiming for.  I think the SE535LTD is a better pick in this case in general.

May 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #4,639 of 14,084
  More Importantly though how does the case feel?

Identical to the AK100/120 case and very solid, and it really should have been included/bundled in the first place.

p.s. the stock case is a dust/lint magnet.

May 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4,640 of 14,084
  Identical to the AK100/120 case and very solid, and it really should have been included/bundled in the first place.

I disagree.

The DX90 offers phenomenal value for money, at $419.

I don't expect them to bundle a bespoke leather case at $419.  I'm extremely grateful at how much audiophile hardware they've crammed-in for that price.

Come on - give iBasso some credit where it is surely due.

May 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,641 of 14,084

I disagree.

I don't expect them to bundle a bespoke leather case at $419.  I'm extremely grateful at how much audiophile hardware they've crammed-in for that price.

I guess when people in Head-fi compare gears, the price is an afterthought or ignored. Otherwise, how can one even consider comparing AK120 to a DX90 and still see what it was lacking compared to AK120.

May 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,642 of 14,084

I disagree.

I agree that its fantastic and i love it. Id just personally rather they not halfass a rly bad case into the bundle.

May 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #4,644 of 14,084
I agree that its fantastic and i love it. Id just personally rather they not halfass a rly bad case into the bundle.

And you think the bundled case is bad?

Unfortunately as someone who needs to have the DX90 in his pockets where it collects a TON of pocket lint... Ya i wouldnt call it rly much of a bonus.

At the 420 asking price, i dont think they really HAVE to include a case. So i feel like its kinda a do it right or prolly dont bother. Ofc i know there are ppl who disagree or find the case quite useful, like the people usong the 4400 batteries

May 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,645 of 14,084
Unfortunately as someone who needs to have the DX90 in his pockets where it collects a TON of pocket lint... Ya i wouldnt call it rly much of a bonus.

At the 420 asking price, i dont think they really HAVE to include a case. So i feel like its kinda a do it right or prolly dont bother. Ofc i know there are ppl who disagree or find the case quite useful, like the people usong the 4400 batteries

Use the money saved not having to buy an ak120 and shell out for the leather.

May 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4,647 of 14,084

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as doing it right for everyone. Yes it does attract lint if you put it in your pocket, but it's not difficult to wipe off like some silicone case I used in the past that seems to absorb lint like a death grip. I never used silicone case for years because of it.

But the bundled case is there for free, I was skeptical but tried it anyway and to my surprise, it's not bad as what I had long ago. In fact it blends well with DX90 and no ugly stitches visible which I hate with leather cases.

But I still can't wrap my head around the idea to not bundle a case for free if you don't see it fit for your taste. 

May 6, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #4,648 of 14,084
I got the case at MSRP of $40, plus another bundle of 2x S3 2300mA batteries with charger, OTG cable, and a stylus for another $20.  So if iBasso really wants to, they can bundle everything for $450 and still makes a decent profit.  This will REALLY hurt iriver and their AK brands.  I still have no idea why iBasso didn't stated that the DX90 can play DSF, or else I would have gotten this a lot sooner.

May 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #4,649 of 14,084
I got the case at MSRP of $40, plus another bundle of 2x S3 2300mA batteries with charger, OTG cable, and a stylus for another $20.  So if iBasso really wants to, they can bundle everything for $450 and still makes a decent profit.  This will REALLY hurt iriver and their AK brands.  I still have no idea why iBasso didn't stated that the DX90 can play DSF, or else I would have gotten this a lot sooner.

Have a link for the batteries and otg bundle?

May 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #4,650 of 14,084
Have a link for the batteries and otg bundle?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00815EOOO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stand corrected as it was $22 and not $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back