DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4,111 of 14,084
  Probably stupid question - can I recharge the dx90's battery every night or should I wait for it to run down before charging?  Will recharging it every day affect the battery negatively?

I was a certified Nokia repair tech at my former place of business and let me give you guys some pointers about Li ion batteries. All Li Ion batteries in general should be depleted fully to do a full recharge. On the DX90. Use it all the way till it drains or at it's very last bit of charge and when you charge it. Charge it fully before use. Either deplete the battery by using the device or charge the battery full. One or the other..

Charging the battery to 40 to 80% is ok but I don't recommend just keeping it at 40 to 80% at all times. The battery is made for full charge capacity and that is what it should be charged to every time. This maximizes the battery life and use of the battery.  I actually extended the battery life of the stock battery by 40 minutes or so by doing just this.. It is when your battery depletes and it stays that way for a long time is when the battery can start to loose it's charge and quality. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #4,112 of 14,084

I was a certified Nokia repair tech at my former place of business and let me give you guys some pointers about Li ion batteries. All Li Ion batteries in general should be depleted fully to do a full recharge. On the DX90. Use it all the way till it drains or at it's very last bit of charge and when you charge it. Charge it fully before use. Either deplete the battery by using the device or charge the battery full. One or the other..

Charging the battery to 40 to 80% is ok but I don't recommend just keeping it at 40 to 80% at all times. The battery is made for full charge capacity and that is what it should be charged to every time. This maximizes the battery life and use of the battery.  I actually extended the battery life of the stock battery by 40 minutes or so by doing just this.. It is when your battery depletes and it stays that way for a long time is when the battery can start to loose it's charge. 

Ok, this goes against something I read last year.... Conflicting info.  Opinion?

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,114 of 14,084
OK, I've had my DX90 for a few days. I bought a cheap no name 128 micro SD card off of ebay...I know, I know. Big mistake! It had multiple read errors on my PC and was freezing in the player. I ordered a 64GB Transcend and have not had one issue with it. All my ALAC songs copied over to the card by drag and drop. They all show up fine on the player...sound awesome, no more EQ issue, and everything is running smooth. In short, don't get a cheap card or you may have numerous problems. I had four or five major problems, that appear to all be caused by the cheap micro SD card.

I'm really loving this player. So far, using it mostly with UE Triple-Fi, but will hopefully be using my full size cans soon as well.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #4,115 of 14,084

Ok, this goes against something I read last year.... Conflicting info.  Opinion?

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

That works too Just know that I have fixed and repaired thousands of phones and was trained and certified by Nokia lead engineers.. Li ion batteries was one of the training topics. I have sold thousands of Li ion batteries and it is the folks that always charge their phones constantly that end up fattening their batteries. This is years of real world know how.. Believe what you will..Try both ways and find out for yourself.. I still have phones from 10 years ago that still use their original batteries.  Might tell you something.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4,116 of 14,084
That works too but like I said. I fixed and repaired thousands of phones and was trained and certified by Nokia lead engineers.. Li ion batteries was one of the training topics. I have sold thousands of Li ion batteries and it is the folks that always charge their phones constantly that end up fattening their batteries. This is years of real world know how.. Believe what you will..Try both ways and find out for yourself.. I still have phones from 10 years ago that still use their original batteries.  Might tell you something.

Not doubting you, I'll try your method.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4,117 of 14,084

That works too Just know that I have fixed and repaired thousands of phones and was trained and certified by Nokia lead engineers.. Li ion batteries was one of the training topics. I have sold thousands of Li ion batteries and it is the folks that always charge their phones constantly that end up fattening their batteries. This is years of real world know how.. Believe what you will..Try both ways and find out for yourself.. I still have phones from 10 years ago that still use their original batteries.  Might tell you something.

I am just a bit confused here. Can you spell it out a little more simply?

Should I just make it a habit to plug in my charger anytime I am not listening to the DX90?

Or should I try to always wait until the battery is fully discharged before recharging, and then recharge fully, but also then disconnect the charger when the battery is full?

Or are you recommending some other kind of a combination of these two?

Sorry if I am being a little dense here....I do appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #4,118 of 14,084
It is simple really. When you want to listen to your DX90. Listen and chip away at the charge. Use it for a few hours. Take a break till next day keep listening for few more hours so on and so forth.  I am not saying keep listening to deplete the battery in one sitting. (That is unless you are burning in the player.) Shut it off when you don't want to listen to it. Keep using it till you don't see any battery left on the battery bar.  Once you feel the battery has been significantly reduced. Just plug it in. Your battery meter will have nothing in the meter. You should get an extra 30 minutes of use on zero bars by the way..

Then when you do charge.. Charge it to full capacity.. Repeat.

This cycle is good to stay on but you can definitely break this cycle once in a while. Especially if your battery is well conditioned for example lets say you have done this for over 10-20 times in a row and you have 1/3 battery left and you are about to go on vacation and want a full charge. It is ok to charge to full again. But try the best you can to deplete that battery. It is actually more difficult to deplete a battery than charge it all the time.. Try depleting the battery so you get max capacity every time is my point.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,121 of 14,084
  So today I got annoyed with the fingerprints and smudges with the original screen protector that iBasso supplied,

so I tried to cut my own screen protector from Rhinoshield (ordered a samsung note 3 one, seems to be the biggest size)

I didnt do a particular good job but at çutting it (used a surgical knife)

but at least now I get no fingerprints and smudges on the screen!

I did something similar, but with an extra protector I had from my cell phone, "Invisible Defender". Didn't bother at all with the iBasso screen covers. I used a rotary strip cutter like you may find in a craft store for cutting photos etc. to get straight edges. It came out really good just like there is nothing there. 

A few days in and man, I'm loving this player! Sound is fantastic, no major issues with the UI (yet...fingers crossed). I have noticed a few albums, only a few, the tracks are "mixed up" like not in the correct order. I probably need to retag them or something. That's the only thing I've noticed. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,122 of 14,084
  Any time and this also applies for all your smart phones. Any electronics that have Li Ion batteries actually.

So here is another question: My wife has a laptop that most of the time she uses at her desk, so she is in the habit of just leaving it plugged in anytime it is on her desk. So she rarely runs the battery down even a little, and it sits there plugged in 99% of the time whether she is using it or not.

Should she get in the habit of doing as you recommend and run the battery down every time she uses the computer even when she is at her desk? Or can she leave it plugged in most of the time and use the computer while plugged in as she has been, but then when she does need to use it away from the desk, at that time be sure to run the battery down all or most of the way before plugging it in again? In other words, does it harm the battery to use the computer a lot with the charger connected, and also to leave it plugged in all of the time when she is not using the computer?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I guess the question could also apply to the DX90 if someone is using it in a desktop system. If external power is always available, can you just use the DX90 with the power cord plugged in, or should you do the battery cycling even in a desktop arrangement for the sake of extending battery life?

For example, I am still burning in my DX90, so to let it run 24 hours a day, I have the charging cable plugged in to an AC powered usb charger constantly while it is playing.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #4,123 of 14,084
Laptop batteries will actually benefit from being unplugged and used on occasion to drain the battery but I know people just tend to have it plugged all the time where ever they may be. And that is fine...But you will notice that laptop battery quality will slowly but surely get worse and worse..I think most folks just plug batteries in anyway where ever they may be so that takes care of that problem.. There is a whole topic on how to maintain batteries on a laptop but that is for another site.. If she needs the laptop more for portability than I would suggest depleting the battery method so she gets full capacity of the laptop. Otherwise if she just uses it unplugged once in a while. It is no big deal to have it plugged all the time. By the time the battery is completely bad. It will be time to upgrade the computer all together anyway. 

The great thing about the DX90 is the fact that we can buy cheap replacement batteries so leaving it on a laptop to use as an external dac is fine.. But for guys that want to mostly use it for on the go. Try to do the deplete method like I explained on the previous posts.. Especially for new batteries as this conditions the battery for full capacity. 

If you know your gonna use the DX90 connected to a laptop all the time. Get another battery. An Anker or Samsung battery and condition one of them to use for out and about use and just use the stock battery for use as an external dac amp if you want to have it plugged all the time to your computer.

Just know being connected all the time for batteries slowly kills the battery of max capacity. Just using it will do it as well but having a full charge all the time will shorten the life span of the battery actually quicker.. The battery industry makes money by not telling you guys that. lol. That is how it is done.
 (Think about why they are called rechargeable batteries)

To answer you post about just plugging it in to play 24/7 to burn in. That is fine as batteries for the DX90 are cheap.. When you eventually get a new battery.. Do the deplete method.. Once you get done with your burn in try to do the deplete method as much as possible to get the max capacity out of the battery.

What I do is charge it fully and drain it fully. I have my new IM03 on the player so I am burning in 3 things at once. Conditioning the battery, Burn in the DX90, Burn in my IM03. 3 in one.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #4,124 of 14,084
Using TG334.. i find the highest gain among the 3 settings has more detail n sound more full. Am i right?

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #4,125 of 14,084
I have had the DX90 for a few days now and it is truly a great DAP. However, I'm experiencing the problem with the cutting-off of the last 2-3 seconds of each song, which is really annoying with tracks that don't fade out. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back