DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #4,066 of 14,084
Anyone have luck crafting a good Eq setting? I can tell there's a pre-cut when sliders are in the middle position. When I max out all sliders, the volume sounds like I'm back to be same volume as with Eq off but it's not the same signature as the DX90 with Eq off. This surprised me. Is anyone else surprised by this, too?

Not that I'll be using the Eq much anyway. Just curious...

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4,067 of 14,084
Anyone else using Shure 846 with the DX90, and if so at low, mid or high gain? And what about users of other high-end IEMs?

I have been using mid gain with my Ocharaku Flat-4 Kaede and Final Audio PF-IX. Volume setting for the Kaede is about 225 and with the PF-IX, it is around 175. Those are the highest-end IEM's that I own.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4,068 of 14,084
My three cents:

Got my DX90 about a week ago. To be honest, DX90 will destroy most of the stuff on the market these days, in my book at least. It's so enjoyable device, huge improvement over DX50. Just compared it to HM-901. Damn. What to do, what to do...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers,
00L

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #4,069 of 14,084
I'm using the DX90 with my SE846. I originally had it on high gain at the beginning but switched to mid gain since i could hear all the details without needing it being too loud. I keep my volume at 190-200 outside & 150-160 at home. Very fast & accurate bass gotta say. When I want more warmth & longer bass decay, I add in my arrow 4T. Good Stuff
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,070 of 14,084
Anyone else using Shure 846 with the DX90, and if so at low, mid or high gain? And what about users of other high-end IEMs?

I use my 846 at low gain when I use the headphone out, mainly because I dont really notice a discernible sq increase between the 3 gain positions and low drives them plenty fine.

For easy to drive low impedance iems or any iems for that matter, the low gain will always be the best setting for a few good reason.

1. The volume control is implemented at the digital/DAC level. That means if you select a higher gain than what is needed you will have to turn down the volume level lower as well. This will affect the DX90's effective dynamic range. From my estimate, DX90 should be set at least at 190 for best dynamic range (higher is of course better). This is also the reason why some people use an external amp, so the can crank up the volume to max and just attenuate the volume on the external amp.

2. If you have set the DX90 at high gain, you have a narrow range to play with on volume control, accidentally holding the up button, can suddenly increases the volume very dangerous level instantly. You run the risk of damaging your hearing.

3. low gain means low noise flow. iems are sensitive and is easier to discern noise on an iem than full-size headphones. It is most likely a hint of noise is what people have reported to be discern-able difference when using an iem on a high gain. Which can be pleasing on some occasion.

Just my 3 cents worth ...

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4,071 of 14,084
Anyone have luck crafting a good Eq setting? I can tell there's a pre-cut when sliders are in the middle position. When I max out all sliders, the volume sounds like I'm back to be same volume as with Eq off but it's not the same signature as the DX90 with Eq off. This surprised me. Is anyone else surprised by this, too?

Not that I'll be using the Eq much anyway. Just curious...

DX90 and and DX50's EQ function works like a subtractive EQ. If you turn it on, all sliders should be at the highest position to match the default EQ setting (which is off).

You can only lower the level at any band you want to touch, you can't go higher or raise the level from the default setting.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,075 of 14,084
Has a video on battery replacement been put up?
Thinking of replacing the battery for playtime improvement.

Hardly a need for a video as the back just slides off like that of a cellphone and reveals the battery inside. Easiest battery change of any piece of gear that I have owned.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #4,076 of 14,084
DX90 and and DX50's EQ function works like a subtractive EQ. If you turn it on, all sliders should be at the highest position to match the default EQ setting (which is off).

You can only lower the level at any band you want to touch, you can't go higher or raise the level from the default setting.

Oh yeah, I know and appreciate that it's a subtractive Eq. I was more surprised that when I maxed-out all of the sliders, I got a different sound signature vs. Eq off.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4,078 of 14,084
  You have to fix to level 6 to have the same EQ than Eq. off.

Level 6? Is that some upper lever stuff I don't know about? Like "Plan 9" or "Sector Seven" (Or for the real oldsters among us - "Brown 25")

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #4,080 of 14,084
Level 6? Is that some upper lever stuff I don't know about? Like "Plan 9" or "Sector Seven" (Or for the real oldsters among us - "Brown 25")

When eq is turned on the level is lowered 6db so to get back to normal you set all bands to +6db

Users who are viewing this thread

Back