DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Dec 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #9,706 of 14,084
I think I'm gonna return mine. This thing is too wonky for me. I'm best using a desktop DAC and staying put.

In the end, though, I think it boiled down to trying out the dual sabres. I'm just not digging their sound, with or without the internal amp.

I'll try it with my Auditor tomorrow. And if it doesn't slay me...? See ya!

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #9,707 of 14,084
Listening with my Ultrasone Ed. 9, a very good pairing. more open sounding than many closed phones and very dynamic. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #9,708 of 14,084
I just got the DX90 as an early XMas gift. I'm sure this has been discussed but I'd appreciate a tip.

I have all of my music stored and tagged in JRiver MC. This works great for me, but am wondering how to get the files onto the DAP. The raw files are .flac and stored in Windows directories in alphabetical order. It seems the tags are what order the albums correctly.

Drag and drop puts the songs on the DX alphabetically too. How can I transfer songs in the intended order?

Thanks very much.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #9,709 of 14,084
Nice Day Audio-Prisoners,

i could definetly confirm, that the iBasso DX90 needs a little "warming up" phase. I've noticed that by our cold
weather conditions some days ago, when my DX90 sleept in a very cold room overnight.
The next morning i took it for playing, but it sounded cold ( yes cold :) & less wide. Changing the Headphones
didn't change anything, so it was the unit itself.
After 20mins the SQ was full restored. My device has also a 200h burn-in time and the SQ is pinned
where it should be.

A little stupid that iBasso gave us no temperature operating range for full experience, but i think it must be
around +10ºC and 50ºC ( 50ºF - 122ºF ). Sorry, i never managed to test at higher temps like in a desert :wink:.

I bought some Oehlbach Anti-Dust Pins to stick them into the unused holes of my DX90 and the warming up
time reduced by 10 minutes ! I guess, due to the processor heat resides inside it now warms up by half the time
and is also protected against dust, too. A win-win situation closing the holes...

Another thing i could confim is: changing the Pisen Battery to a OG Samsung Cell levels Up the Sound Quality.
This is not so subtile i thought before, the better Samsung Cell drives the DX90 more stable with a harder punch.
So Music & DX90 lovers get the Samsung i9300 cell !

For my Burn-In session i used a combination of XLO Recordings BurnIn & Test CD ( i use since 15 years ) and DENSEN DeMagic Sweeps. The Demagnetizing sweeps from both CDs are VERY advisable.
Play them before your well known material and hear how closed rooms become now opened, it's really fantastic
and no voodoo !

These are small "tuning" tricks, but with a big FX.

Out of curiosity, did you rip the tracks from the CD, or did you hook up the DX90 as DAC to a CD Player?

I just picked up a DENSEN DeMagic CD for $11.00 on eBay and was wondering if I should rip the files or if there is something lost if I don't want to Use the CD...

Even if it turns out to be snake oil, (Even if only to MY ears.) I consider the less than $20 cost to roll the dice worth it. :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ken N.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #9,710 of 14,084
The DX90 on max. I use it in my car through the Aux and it destroys my car system, it is so much better. It is like a huge upgrade, I actually get imaging and depth in my car, in front of me! Bass is much better, transparency, width and depth but bad recordings still sound bad. lol 

Same here. I had the DX90 hooked-up to the Volvo sound system (Stock Audio) and it sounded amazing to me. My wife never said a word on the way to our destination. (3 hour drive to upper-state). But on the way home I let her drive and didn't hook up the DX90. Took me a while to realize what she was doing... Finally she asked, "Honey, does the stereo sound broken to you?" SCORE! :D

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #9,711 of 14,084
Same here. I had the DX90 hooked-up to the Volvo sound system (Stock Audio) and it sounded amazing to me. My wife never said a word on the way to our destination. (3 hour drive to upper-state). But on the way home I let her drive and didn't hook up the DX90. Took me a while to realize what she was doing... Finally she asked, "Honey, does the stereo sound broken to you?" SCORE!
biggrin.gif

That's a pretty cool Head-Fi success story :), just make sure you use line out and not headphone out with volume on max.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #9,712 of 14,084
Same here. I had the DX90 hooked-up to the Volvo sound system (Stock Audio) and it sounded amazing to me. My wife never said a word on the way to our destination. (3 hour drive to upper-state). But on the way home I let her drive and didn't hook up the DX90. Took me a while to realize what she was doing... Finally she asked, "Honey, does the stereo sound broken to you?" SCORE!
biggrin.gif

Lol. . . yes broken is a good word for it. So did you fix it? 

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #9,713 of 14,084
Lol. . . yes broken is a good word for it. So did you fix it? 

Yes, I "fixed it". And was un-subtlely reminded that a DX90 of her own is on her Christmas list.... :wink:

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #9,714 of 14,084
I absolutely love running my ALAC files through my DX90 and into my car's Focals.  I get "aural sex" every time I drive, everywhere I go.  

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #9,715 of 14,084
Got my DX90 this morning. Loaded the usual test files... and cold, out of the box (no burn-in), here's my first impression:

With stock firmware 2.1.5(?). listening through my DBA-02 and Denon D7000... I love the sound. It smokes my iPhone 5S & iPod Classic (ver6).
Of course on the iPhone and iPod, the files were ALAC @ 24/48. The files on the DX90 were all uncompressed .wav; from 16/44.1 - 24/96. So that's part of the difference.

The rest of the testing will be apples (pun intended) to apples. Playing the same ALAC files on both... but between you and me, I don't think that will matter. I think the DX90 is still going to smoke the i-devices.

That's it. Quick first impression review.

Not comfortable with the UI yet. Kind of odd file handling. We'll see. I will probably put in Rockbox. I will also probably update the firmware.

Ciao

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #9,716 of 14,084
Got my DX90 this morning. Loaded the usual test files... and cold, out of the box (no burn-in), here's my first impression:

With stock firmware 2.1.5(?). listening through my DBA-02 and Denon D7000... I love the sound. It smokes my iPhone 5S & iPod Classic (ver6).
Of course on the iPhone and iPod, the files were ALAC @ 24/48. The files on the DX90 were all uncompressed .wav; from 16/44.1 - 24/96. So that's part of the difference.

The rest of the testing will be apples (pun intended) to apples. Playing the same ALAC files on both... but between you and me, I don't think that will matter. I think the DX90 is still going to smoke the i-devices.

That's it. Quick first impression review.

Not comfortable with the UI yet. Kind of odd file handling. We'll see. I will probably put in Rockbox. I will also probably update the firmware.

Ciao

Just remember that rockbox downsamples everything to 16/44

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #9,717 of 14,084
Just remember that rockbox downsamples everything to 16/44

Not on DX90! It strips 24 bits down to 16, but keeps the sampling rate as it is.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #9,718 of 14,084
Dec 11, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #9,719 of 14,084
  Those are files recovered from Windows CHKDSK (check disk).

http://found000.blogspot.com/

worked like a charm - you rock Dr Wolf
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #9,720 of 14,084
Hello All,

Has anyone noticed a strange bug with firmware 2.1.5.

After I restart the DX90 from being shutdown, either purposefully or after leaving it for a while not playing music, the Volume is set to Zero and the Play order has changed to Repeat.

I did carry out a factory reset after updating to 2.1.5.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back