DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #8,131 of 14,084
It's without introducing distortion at max EQ so max EQ on all bands is equal to EQ off

Are you sure at max EQ level it produces the original sound, and not something calculated from -6dB source? I doubt it. I would check with DTS Audio-CD records first, to prove it.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #8,132 of 14,084
Are you sure at max EQ level it produces the original sound, and not something calculated from -6dB source? I doubt it. I would check with DTS Audio-CD records first, to prove it.

No I'm absolutely not sure, just stating what Ibasso stated back in the DX50 thread when it was noticed that volume went down when EQ was enabled

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #8,134 of 14,084
Today i connected the dx90 to my new Bryston BHA-1 with a HD 800  ... and got me through the music in time and space.

I noticed that as long as the display is on, a slight, constant beep is heard with both line out and headphone out, but only at idle without playing music.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #8,135 of 14,084
Hey guys I have a very important question

it is well believed that a battery with better cells improves the sound quality (I believe this as well)

Now for the question lol, does the Samsung battery assist the DAC or amp? Or a little of both?

I'm trying to apply this theory to a DIYMOD ipod 5.5,

it would also be nice if they had a rockbox version for ipod 5.5 that did the same thing as the lurker0 mod

I already bought this up in the diymod thread but to no avail

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #8,136 of 14,084
  Today i connected the dx90 to my new Bryston BHA-1 with a HD 800  ... and got me through the music in time and space.

I noticed that as long as the display is on, a slight, constant beep is heard with both line out and headphone out, but only at idle without playing music.

Is that when the backlight is on of off? I actually hear the same thing but only when the backlight is on. It actually sounds louder from the Digitial/COAX out.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #8,137 of 14,084
  Sorry I have to say this is not true. No analog gain control is involved here. All is done digitally.

When EQ is turned on, software filter digitally reduces the volume, to make a room for EQ to work without digital clipping. This volume reduction, unlike digital volume control via the DAC, leads to data precision (=resolution) loss.

I didn't test it thoroughly though, whether it just reduces the volume or compresses the dynamic, but it does not really matter in the sense of loosing sound data precision either way.

Your satisfaction just proves the result of recent investigations that show that more and more people preferer digital distortions over clean sound. E.g. they like CD more than hi-res or analog sound, prefer MP3 with low bitrate to a CD with full dynamic... Rockbox with EQ on players like DX90 is the same sad story. This also explains why people prefer old multi-bit DACs over current delta-sigma DACs. Historically, this is similar to preference of "tube sound" over "transistor", even since the latter started producing clean enough sound (e.g. MOSFET)...

I mostly agree with your argument about EQ which is why I avoid if as much as I can except your analogy about CD and hi-res. I don't think you lose precision with CD (16 bit). It just doesn't have the data above 22Khz the hi-res files have. But then if you argue the data beyond that is audible or have any effect on the data below it then it's a different matter and will just throw us off-topic.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #8,138 of 14,084

Is that when the backlight is on of off? I actually hear the same thing but only when the backlight is on. It actually sounds louder from the Digitial/COAX out.

Yes - only when the backlight is on, when it shuts off after 30 seconds, this sound disappears.
i just noticed, that it only happens, when the dx90 is connected to the computer through the usb cable.
The Digital out has this sound too, even without being connected via usb

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #8,139 of 14,084
Well the EQ issue aside, I'm still sure low volumes on the DX90 result in considerable resolution loss. F[size=12.8000001907349px]or example[/size] the Westone W60 sound about ten times better through an external amp like ibasso P4 , and its definitely not a power issue as its the most sensitive iem I've ever tried. The P4 amp even has a similar signature to the DX90 amp, which is balanced, transparent and uncolored. But using DX90 at 170 volume sounds like listening to a 192kbs mp3, while amped through the line out finally sounds like glorious lossless. Someone explain that! Also the DX90 sounds just fine with my other headphones that can take more volume from the internal amp, like Portapro or MA900 etc. So I've concluded that digital volume sucks for sensitive iems/headphones. Either that or the P4 is somehow a god tier amp lol.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #8,140 of 14,084
  Well the EQ issue aside, I'm still sure low volumes on the DX90 result in considerable resolution loss. F[size=12.8000001907349px]or example[/size] the Westone W60 sound about ten times better through an external amp like ibasso P4 , and its definitely not a power issue as its the most sensitive iem I've ever tried. The P4 amp even has a similar signature to the DX90 amp, which is balanced, transparent and uncolored. But using DX90 at 170 volume sounds like listening to a 192kbs mp3, while amped through the line out finally sounds like glorious lossless. Someone explain that! Also the DX90 sounds just fine with my other headphones that can take more volume from the internal amp, like Portapro or MA900 etc. So I've concluded that digital volume sucks for sensitive iems/headphones. Either that or the P4 is somehow a god tier amp lol.

Wow at low gain you still need to set the volume at 170. Either your iem is too sensitive or you have a very sensitive ears. 
At medium gain using Roxanne, my volume level is between 195 - 210. At low gain it easily goes up to 205 - 220. All with 16/44.1 files.

I noticed too that below 200 the SQ starts to degrade.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #8,141 of 14,084
 Wow at low gain you still need to set the volume at 170. 

I noticed too that below 200 the SQ starts to degrade.

Yep with the W60 I can only comfortably go up to 170 on low gain, I can also handle medium gain at 170, but it is fairly loud. I don't know at what point the SQ starts to degrade, but I can say that all my iems and headphones sound better amped from the P4, and I would only attribute part of that improvement to the P4's limitless power reserves because most of my gear is already [size=12.8000001907349px]very[/size][size=12.8000001907349px] [/size]authoritively driven by DX90 internal amp, so I have to attribute part of sound improvement to using the line out with dacs at full resolution. But the W60 essentially proves that the digital volume is degrading the sound at 170, and in my opinion my other headphones indicate that even at volume 200 there is still some resolution loss versus amped through line out, but at volume 200 it is minimal, I would probably say at volume 220 there would only be inaudible degradation, but that's just a guess.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #8,142 of 14,084

Yep with the W60 I can only comfortably go up to 170 on low gain, I can also handle medium gain at 170, but it is fairly loud. I don't know at what point the SQ starts to degrade, but I can say that all my iems and headphones sound better amped from the P4, and I would only attribute part of that improvement to the P4's limitless power reserves because most of my gear is already [size=12.8000001907349px]very[/size][size=12.8000001907349px] [/size]authoritively driven by DX90 internal amp, so I can only attribute part of sound improvement to using the line out with dacs at full resolution. But the W60 essentially proves that the digital volume is degrading the sound at 170, and in my opinion my other headphones indicate that even at volume 200 there is still some resolution loss versus amped through line out, but at volume 200 it is minimal, I would probably say at volume 220 there would only be inaudible degradation, but that's just a guess.

I havent noticed any of this, however this is probably largely due to running my volume @ 210ish usually and controlling the volume via my portatube amp.
Plus the amp add's distortion etc anyway being a tube.

All i know is I am incredibly happy with the sound of my DX90 amped and unamped, but moreso amped.

I can just get completely lost in the music.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #8,145 of 14,084
Help! I just got my DX-90 and it came with no manual or instructions (brand new from ProStudio via Amazon)  I have transferred music from my hard drive using JRiver and it appears to be transferring.
Without instructions I am having no success navigating, finding my music, or playing music. Not good that even iBasso website does not offer download of manual! Basics please. 
Nevermind. Touchscreen. Ouch. I am an idiot!!! Sounds great already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back