DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Sep 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #8,116 of 14,084
how do you get the DAC to work in windows8.1? When I try installing I don't see any new program and when I switch to dac mode nothing happens :x

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #8,117 of 14,084
how do you get the DAC to work in windows8.1? When I try installing I don't see any new program and when I switch to dac mode nothing happens :x

With difficaulty. First you need the beta 64-bit version and since it isn't signed yet you need to disable signing every time you want to use it (don't remember how to do that but it is all described somewhere in either this or the other DX90 thread)

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #8,118 of 14,084
yes, did a quick google just now....it does sound like a pain in the butt. For now, I won't be using my in ears on my pc I guess and wait till I can get a dac like the hugo with a headphone output. My tubes sadly don't like my in ears.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,119 of 14,084
yes, did a quick google just now....it does sound like a pain in the butt. For now, I won't be using my in ears on my pc I guess and wait till I can get a dac like the hugo with a headphone output. My tubes sadly don't like my in ears.

Don't worry. The new drivers should be coming out soon then you don't have to deal with that hassle.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #8,120 of 14,084
Don't worry. The new drivers should be coming out soon then you don't have to deal with that hassle.

let's hope it will support windows 8 this time around then.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #8,121 of 14,084
iBasso:
Hi,
Thank you for your kind words.
We dont have plan to develop USB-DAC driver for Linux OS. Sorry about this.

Sincerely

;'(

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #8,123 of 14,084
No. And no deadline or guarantee that there will ever be one

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #8,124 of 14,084
Just found out I like the sound MUCH better with EQ turned On, but left default flat. The default gain is lower with EQ On, this allows you to use more volume, meaning that the DAC is losing less resolution through digital attenuation. Makes a HUGE difference in the sound quality, particularly if you could only use low volumes. I was stuck at 170 volume on Low gain before I turned On EQ, now I can use volume 200 and the sound is miles better with the Westone 6 driver. I was seriously contemplating buying a HM-901 before I did this, I just wasn't happy with the sound resolution over all, now I can actually sit back and really enjoy this beast of a dap. But I had no idea how big an affect the digital volume was having before this! If you are using low volumes please try this, you will be glad you did!

Also this makes me wonder what volume on the DX90 will have the maximum point of SQ (obviously max vol) but I'm talking for a 16bit/44 FLAC for example, at what volume point will the SQ no longer be "audibly" affected? I'm telling you between volume 170 and 200 there is a huge difference though.

This experience has really got me disliking digital volume now though, Hifiman did the right thing with the 901 using an analogue volume pot allowing the dac to be outputting full resolution all the time.

But I still have a really big smile on my face at the moment from how good my DX90 sounds, for the first actual time (with the Westone W60)

Wow also noticed the DX90 gets warmer to touch with volume 200 vs 170, just using low gain.

I have now noticed resolution drops by turning on the EQ using my other HP's, its similar to going from lossless to a 320kbs mp3, but the EQ on at volume 200 with W60 still sounds better this way, as the EQ off results in a volume of 170 and it sounds like 192kbs mp3...

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #8,125 of 14,084
  Just found out I like the sound MUCH better with EQ turned On, but left default flat. The default gain is lower with EQ On, this allows you to use more volume, meaning that the DAC is losing less resolution through digital attenuation.

Sorry I have to say this is not true. No analog gain control is involved here. All is done digitally.

When EQ is turned on, software filter digitally reduces the volume, to make a room for EQ to work without digital clipping. This volume reduction, unlike digital volume control via the DAC, leads to data precision (=resolution) loss.

I didn't test it thoroughly though, whether it just reduces the volume or compresses the dynamic, but it does not really matter in the sense of loosing sound data precision either way.

Your satisfaction just proves the result of recent investigations that show that more and more people preferer digital distortions over clean sound. E.g. they like CD more than hi-res or analog sound, prefer MP3 with low bitrate to a CD with full dynamic... Rockbox with EQ on players like DX90 is the same sad story. This also explains why people prefer old multi-bit DACs over current delta-sigma DACs. Historically, this is similar to preference of "tube sound" over "transistor", even since the latter started producing clean enough sound (e.g. MOSFET)...

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #8,127 of 14,084
Yes EQ on just digitally lowers volume by 6dB to allow you to increase the max 6dB from flat with EQ

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #8,129 of 14,084
It's 6dB headroom for boosting the EQ without introducing distortion

Please explain how it can be done without any distortions? What is done with LSBs of the original data?

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #8,130 of 14,084
It's without introducing distortion at max EQ so max EQ on all bands is equal to EQ off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back