DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 9, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #6,856 of 14,084
I ordered this on monday from eglobal and i received it allready today from honkong. What?!
This is really fast! O:xf_eek:
hmm i do a fake check now lol. Where do i find the serial number? On the ibasso dx90 cannot see it....

eglobal is legit, I've bought headphones and cameras from them, they are awesome. DX90 don't have a serial number and don't come with any documentation manuals and warranty cards.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,858 of 14,084

What cable are you using on your JH13s? Are they run in? I'm quite happy with mine on the DX90. Easy enough to revert FW if you liked the previous.

Your probably using Rockbox on the zip. If you've ever done stock fw upgrades on it, you'd know it changes a lot more than the iBasso. Rockbox also changed sound when they updated their codecs. I always engaged dither when I used it.

Original cable supplied from JH audio with the IEMs.

If the sound signature works for you, that's perfectly fine but that's not what bothers me. It's the additional DSP they are most likely doing which changes earphone synergies on every FW release. I really doubt the changes come from input decoding alone. The problem is that if the signature doesn't work for me a and it CHANGES all the time. I cannot even decide whether I want to keep the player - if the sound signature was like 2.1.0 or 2.0.5, I would be selling it right now as I don't like how it sounds even compared to the much cheaper Clip.  And if I revert to 2.0.0, then I'm stuck with all the bugs it contains until someone from the community starts making mods...

And there's one more thing - Rockbox was golden on DX50 (compared to each of around 5 FWs I tried), which makes me believe that whatever iBasso are doing, they are doing it wrong. }Again, by "wrong" I mean "wrong for me" as I don't dispute other people preferences. )

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #6,859 of 14,084
After trying my friends Dx90 and comparing to my HM901, MA9 and HDP r10 I can tell that DX90 is nowhere near to any of those monsters :) Its a reality.

Tested with JH16 and PFE232.

MA9 with golden balanced amp (best of all of them).

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #6,860 of 14,084
  Yep, DX90 has no good synergy with the GS1000, I agree the hights are way to harsh sounding with it. I don't say it's a bad hp because on my home rig with tube amp it sounds great.

For DX90 I can advise you the PS500. I think it sounds terrific straight out of the HO.
The LCD2 is also a great match, but this one really needs extra amping to make it sing imo.
The Beyer DT880 250 ohm sounded also very nice with the DX50, but I sold it before I had the DX90.
With these 3 hp's I don't think the DX90 will have a probem with high frequency response at all.

Good luck with making the right choice...

The DX90 sounds great with my Grado RS1s, but my ears aren't terribly sensitive to high frequencies.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,861 of 14,084

The DX90 sounds great with my Grado RS1s, but my ears aren't terribly sensitive to high frequencies.

You can actually tame the brightness a bit on a Grado . The key is the right distance between the driver and your ears. Too near and it will sound very harsh and very thin bass. Too far you will lose the resolution which is what you expect with a Grado phone and a boomy bass. The stock bowl cushion sometimes is too soft that the driver sits too near on your ear. If you are overly sensitive to treble you can change the pad or do a few mods like the tape mod or a sock mod.

For me the tape mod works best. I have a highly resolving phone without the head splitting harshness in SR325e with a very solid bass and DX90 at mid gain  brings out the best on this phone.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6,862 of 14,084
Jul 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #6,863 of 14,084
  After trying my friends Dx90 and comparing to my HM901, MA9 and HDP r10 I can tell that DX90 is nowhere near to any of those monsters :) Its a reality.

Tested with JH16 and PFE232.

MA9 with golden balanced amp (best of all of them).

The only reality I can tell from your post is you prefer MA9 sound...  
wink.gif

My reality is that I prefer the HM901 and DX90 way more than the MA9 while I feel sounds too thick and lack resolution.  
etysmile.gif

Tested with JH13FP, TG334, and 1Plus2.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #6,866 of 14,084
They may be updating or have an outage. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,868 of 14,084

Original cable supplied from JH audio with the IEMs.

If the sound signature works for you, that's perfectly fine but that's not what bothers me. It's the additional DSP they are most likely doing which changes earphone synergies on every FW release. I really doubt the changes come from input decoding alone. The problem is that if the signature doesn't work for me a and it CHANGES all the time. I cannot even decide whether I want to keep the player - if the sound signature was like 2.1.0 or 2.0.5, I would be selling it right now as I don't like how it sounds even compared to the much cheaper Clip.  And if I revert to 2.0.0, then I'm stuck with all the bugs it contains until someone from the community starts making mods...

And there's one more thing - Rockbox was golden on DX50 (compared to each of around 5 FWs I tried), which makes me believe that whatever iBasso are doing, they are doing it wrong. }Again, by "wrong" I mean "wrong for me" as I don't dispute other people preferences. )

I guarantee that they are not using DSP and it will measure as accurate. Maybe try using the RK batch tool and make sure to factory reset. Slow slope and med gain. I found the original FW a little too laid back. Certainly, we can disagree.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #6,869 of 14,084
Evaluating the sound of two Samsung batteries paralleled by soldering them and a couple of spots of supper glue (same physical size as a 4400mA Anker, and the sound is better still. More transparent and room to roam around in. Sounds great with one Samsung just a little improvement with two and since they are the power supple of the DX90, with what I have built in the past, PS is something everything since good circuits are very available but give them a mediocre PS and they will sound that way. The stock battery isn't bad, the Samsung is better, IMO. 

And a benefit, twice the run time. :^)

con: I like the black leather case I got for it, which is beautifully made but of course, use the silicon case with the dual Samsung batteries. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6,870 of 14,084
  Evaluating the sound of two Samsung batteries paralleled by soldering them and a couple of spots of supper glue (same physical size as a 4400mA Anker, and the sound is better still. More transparent and room to roam around in. Sounds great with one Samsung just a little improvement with two and since they are the power supple of the DX90, with what I have built in the past, PS is something everything since good circuits are very available but give them a mediocre PS and they will sound that way. The stock battery isn't bad, the Samsung is better, IMO. 

And a benefit, twice the run time. :^)

con: I like the black leather case I got for it, which is beautifully made but of course, use the silicon case with the dual Samsung batteries. 

Are you saying 2 batteries connected in parallel sounds better than the standard battery?  I'm confused as to why this could be...  :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back