DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,761 of 3,609
The OTG is needed, the connector found in the majority of USB external drives is the USB Type A plug while the DX50 has a micro USB type B jack. The OTG provides you with a USB Type A jack to a micro USB Type B plug.

The USB 3.0 external drive comes with a cable that is compatible in a USB 2.0 type A jack.

I like the Seagate Backup Plus portable drive, you can switch the drive onto the Sata receptacle and you are good to go.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2,763 of 3,609
My excitement is to have such a flexible dap. When I want to lug it on the road, the 64GB microSD is just what I need. If I want to hook it up to a larger capacity drive, then I can use the OTG route. I want to plug it to a coax input device, it's there, quite a flexible little guy. And the price, is just the cherry on top.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,764 of 3,609
Just ordered the DX50. Can't wait to get my hands on it. A lot of people seem to call the DX50 ugly but I don't think it's too bad... I think the Fiio X3 looks worse compared to the DX50, is it just me?

Not just you.

I'm about a click away from ordering one. What I'd like to see is an alphabetical listing on the right of the screen for quick and somewhat accurate scrolling through files, and a mockup of the all music screen. Also, I know that it's just GUI mockups, but the albums aren't in alphabetical order either lol. Or at least I'm hoping it's just mockups...

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,765 of 3,609
So which Y usb could you use with the DX50 to charge and use the external drive? I was looking on Amazon. I wish, as most do, that solid state drives where less expensive. It seems they are taking forever to come down in price. I would most likely use an standard 2.5 1 or 2 tb HD. Then there are the nice compact HD's others have posted here.

Once we get going maybe feedback on the different HD's and how they work would be good. I could make a list on the first page. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,766 of 3,609
Quote:
The OTG is needed, the connector found in the majority of USB external drives is the USB Type A plug while the DX50 has a micro USB type B jack. The OTG provides you with a USB Type A jack to a micro USB Type B plug.

The USB 3.0 external drive comes with a cable that is compatible in a USB 2.0 type A jack.

I like the Seagate Backup Plus portable drive, you can switch the drive onto the Sata receptacle and you are good to go.

Looking at the back of my Passport, it has a USB 3.0 micro type B jack.

So I would really need a USB 3.0 type B micro male ---->  USB 2.0 type B Micro male cable for this to work.

Is there such a cable?

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,767 of 3,609
Quote:
Looking at the back of my Passport, it has a USB 3.0 micro type B jack.

So I would really need a USB 3.0 type B micro male ---->  USB 2.0 type B Micro male cable for this to work.

Is there such a cable?

My Seagate Backup drive has a similar USB 3.0 micro type B jack like yours but I have the cable that terminates in a USB type 3.0 A plug which as I mentioned above is compatible with the the USB 2.0 type. In my case I want to be able to connect either a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 drive to it including a USB key (got quite a few older USB 2.0 drives lying around), therefore I am going to buy an OTG cable. As long as the drive allows 2.0 USB support which I am sure the DX50 does, my cable will work with an OTG. If you can find such cable then in theory it should work. To be honest, you'll find a lot more micro USB 3.0 plug to USB 3.0 Type A plug like the cable that came with my drive.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,768 of 3,609
Quote:
So which Y usb could you use with the DX50 to charge and use the external drive? I was looking on Amazon. I wish, as most do, that solid state drives where less expensive. It seems they are taking forever to come down in price. I would most likely use an standard 2.5 1 or 2 tb HD. Then there are the nice compact HD's others have posted here.

Once we get going maybe feedback on the different HD's and how they work would be good. I could make a list on the first page. 

Excellent idea, makes so much sense, we should also report any incompatibilities as well (that would be power wise and if not backward compatible with USB 2.0 although that is less likely because most vendors do provide the compatibility); very useful for everyone wanting to avoid wrong purchases. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,769 of 3,609
Just out of curiosity, on a technical standpoint would the DAC in the DX50 represent/play my 16/44.1 lossless CD rips (FLAC) any better or worse than the hifimediy asynchronous sabre U2 off my macbook pro on iTunes (ALAC iTunes)?

Also where are you guys getting all your 24bit/96Khz music files from? Am I correct that the highest you can rip a CD is 16/44.1?

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,770 of 3,609
Just out of curiosity, on a technical standpoint would the DAC in the DX50 represent/play my 16/44.1 lossless CD rips (FLAC) any better or worse than the hifimediy asynchronous sabre U2 off my macbook pro on iTunes (ALAC iTunes)?

Also where are you guys getting all your 24bit/96Khz music files from? Am I correct that the highest you can rip a CD is 16/44.1?

I cannot answer your first question, but the second.

If you have an older Playstation 3 and the SACDs of your desire, you can rip yourself some 24/96 files or you can buy and download them over the internet (HD-tracks... etc.)

Some people even rip their vinyl, but that is a little more complicated.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,771 of 3,609
Quote:

These guys do high quality USB and firewire cables, including custom jobs. I have an angled 6 feet micro-usb extension from them powering the Nexus 7 in my car (and connecting the external DAC to it). Shoot them an email about what you need and they'll make it for you.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,773 of 3,609
Quote:
What's the power output compared to dx100 (can't seem to inteprete the specifications on their website)? Would it be powerful enough to drive HD800?

Doubtful that it would do them justice, but I'm sure we'll know for sure, soon enough.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #2,774 of 3,609
Not sure why it's hard for me to do calculations correctly today.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway the DX50 does about 300mW into 32ohms as far as I can tell. Assuming 3.1V on high-gain is the rms voltage.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,775 of 3,609
The exciting aspect for me is having a single device with 64 card installed and being able to play my hi-res files.

You can do that with a sansa clip already though. Most lossless formats if rockboxed and you can instell a 64 gb card. Obviously, the sound quality is not going to be as good as the dx50 (probably) - but if those are your primary concerns, you can do that for less than 50 plus the cost of the card. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back