DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2,746 of 3,609
Quote:
Well, any SSD will use less energy compared to HDD and the less the diamater of the HDD is the less energy it will require. so if two HDD have different physical sizes (2.5 VS. 3 inches) the smaller one will drain less energy. also there are some HDD that are double drives and those too will require more energy compared to single drives... also you can just google it:-D

Thanks mate, I will try to make a huge search before going to buy one, if I can't find my way, there is plenty of helpful head-fiers anyway
happy_face1.gif

EDIT: Quick search, found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0093RFBO6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

I think it should be just fine.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2,747 of 3,609
I can help with the TH600, as long, as the DX50 will really be shipped tomorrow. Have the TH600 at home. Together with the ESW11LTD, they are at the moment my favorite headphones.

Well RAFA i'll definately be interested in your comments. Lets hope it's shipped soon.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,749 of 3,609
Thanks mate, I will try to make a huge search before going to buy one, if I can't find my way, there is plenty of helpful head-fiers anyway :happy_face1:
I'm also thinking about using an external memory storage of some sorts but I'd like it to be cheap. the problem is that cheap drives are HDD and while they have a lot of memory, unless they also have their own power supply, they will most definitely drain DX50 quite soon. SSD are much more energy efficient but they cost quite a lot for a respectable amounts if memory. thumb drives aren't as expensive as SSD are, but they should be even mite efficient. Also they require least amount of space... decision's up to you but a good thumb drive seems like a good compromise. though if there is an external HDD with its own power source, it would be phenomenal!!!

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,751 of 3,609
Quote:
AK120 has two WM8740 and AK100 has one WM8740. Are they sound similar to Fiio X3?

The name value of the DAC chips or the numbers of chips used have ultimately little to do with the end sound quality. Implementation is everything. Somebody earlier in this thread posted a really fantastic Korean link where they had dscope III (under load) measurements of the AK120 and the Fiio X3. The AK120 had the best specs by far so technically being the most audibly transparent but the Fiio X3 wasn't far off, in fact every unwanted component was significantly below audible levels and so they technically should so very similar.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,752 of 3,609
Quote:
I'm also thinking about using an external memory storage of some sorts but I'd like it to be cheap. the problem is that cheap drives are HDD and while they have a lot of memory, unless they also have their own power supply, they will most definitely drain DX50 quite soon. SSD are much more energy efficient but they cost quite a lot for a respectable amounts if memory. thumb drives aren't as expensive as SSD are, but they should be even mite efficient. Also they require least amount of space... decision's up to you but a good thumb drive seems like a good compromise. though if there is an external HDD with its own power source, it would be phenomenal!!!

The problem is, how much battery I will lose if I use it with external hard drives. If there is a lot ( 6 7 hours?) I don't think I will use the combo. SSD's are indeed so powerful so not sure for the moment what I am gonna do. Waiting for reviews seems like a good idea
happy_face1.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,753 of 3,609
Just ordered the DX50. Can't wait to get my hands on it. A lot of people seem to call the DX50 ugly but I don't think it's too bad... I think the Fiio X3 looks worse compared to the DX50, is it just me?

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2,756 of 3,609
Quote:
Just ordered the DX50. Can't wait to get my hands on it. A lot of people seem to call the DX50 ugly but I don't think it's too bad... I think the Fiio X3 looks worse compared to the DX50, is it just me?

DX50 looks better to me.  Glad I waited for the iBasso though.

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,757 of 3,609
the usb stuff is one thing I know I will have no use for. but it does add a lot of "pimp my ride" factor.

if I'm at a desk even if not @home, I would at least have my laptop and odac/o2 anyway.
if I'm commuting then ok. I mean dap+dac+amp+lcd2 is so 2012, let's add a slice of "not even remotely portable" with a hard drive so that at long last I can go get my baguette with 2tera of music, I was so insecure with all my 64gig sd cards that would take me a full month to listen to anyway.

I see this as a nice gimmick nothing more. (but I still bought one because even I don't listen to myself)

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,758 of 3,609
Quote:
the usb stuff is one thing I know I will have no use for. but it does add a lot of "pimp my ride" factor.

if I'm at a desk even if not @home, I would at least have my laptop and odac/o2 anyway.
if I'm commuting then ok. I mean dap+dac+amp+lcd2 is so 2012, let's add a slice of "not even remotely portable" with a hard drive so that at long last I can go get my baguette with 2tera of music, I was so insecure with all my 64gig sd cards that would take me a full month to listen to anyway.

I see this as a nice gimmick nothing more. (but I still bought one because even I don't listen to myself)

it is far from being a gimmicky feature. for some users, it will be really useful... although for now, it is not very important to me either, so yeah :D

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,759 of 3,609
Quote:
it is far from being a gimmicky feature. for some users, it will be really useful... although for now, it is not very important to me either, so yeah :D

I Totally agree. Being able to use a 1tb or 2b or whatever external HD with anything I want to access is exciting and frankly, really adds to the fun and enjoyment of the music. Sitting at a desk working on the computer plugging into all that music, wow. Then get up, moving with a 64gb micro SD card in the player. I tell you, these players have really come a long ways! 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,760 of 3,609
So if you connect a small external hard drive to the DX50 like a WD Passport, for example, do you need a special OTG cable?  I know there is such a thing as an OTG cable, but is it required?  

Or more precisely, how would you connect a usb 3.0 drive to the DX50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back