DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,981 of 3,609
Quote:

Audiophile players is not just about sound but should be 'everything in the mix', including storage, battery life, blah blah. I may have joined Head Fi recently (I have been listening to music for the past +25 years), but to me every player out there sounds good DEPENDING ON WHAT one pairs it with.

As one above posted comparing the Sansa clip sounds great with easier to drive IEMs/Headphones.

To enjoy the best sound quality, STORAGE is critical. Flac takes a lot of space. An enthusiast who has well over 72GB of FLAC will find fault not having enough space to enjoy the sound of all the albums one has. For some who have less than storage capacity of the DAP, wont find fault to DAPs that are tagged audiophiles.

Just simply buy more than 1 micro SD card and get a micro SD card holder and swap out cards from time to time? I don't think it's as big of an issue as it has been made out to be. That way you aren't necessarily limited to 72 GB as you say. A clip and an ipod also have their limitations regarding storage. With ipods you are limited to the hard drive itself and can't just simply eject it and insert another hd like you can with a player using a sd or micro sd slot. Not to mention you are also sacrificing on sound quality and driving power. For sensitive IEMs you have a point but that still doesn't mean it's gonna drive a high end IEM to its full potential or even close. The limiting factor is the players amp section, its DAC section as well as implementation.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #1,982 of 3,609
Quote:

Just simply buy more than 1 micro SD card and get a micro SD card holder and swap out cards from time to time? I don't think it's as big of an issue as it has been made out to be. That way you aren't necessarily limited to 72 GB as you say. A clip and an ipod also have their limitations regarding storage. With ipods you are limited to the hard drive itself and can't just simply eject it and insert another hd like you can with a player using a sd or micro sd slot. Not to mention you are also sacrificing on sound quality and driving power. For sensitive IEMs you have a point but that still doesn't mean it's gonna drive a high end IEM to its full potential or even close. The limiting factor is the players amp section, its DAC section as well as implementation.

I find micro-sd / sd card annoying. I dont like the concept. When we have entered 3TB & more storage on full hard drives, cassette players that were sized like a cassette, portable cd players that are the size of a couple of CDs, why are we having these paltry sized players relying so much on sd/micro-sd cards.

It's just my thought. It sounds like a crusade. But its not.

I'm sacrificing storage for sound, which has been happening ever since 2002 :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #1,983 of 3,609
Quote:
I find micro-sd / sd card annoying. I dont like the concept. When we have entered 3TB & more storage on full hard drives, cassette players that were sized like a cassette, portable cd players that are the size of a couple of CDs, why are we having these paltry sized players relying so much on sd/micro-sd cards.

It's just my thought. It sounds like a crusade. But its not.

I'm sacrificing storage for sound, which has been happening ever since 2002 :)

For convenience. They are sized small for portability reasons. Technically speaking you'd be able to carry a lot of music with you with a simple micro SD card holder. Most people are not into carrying around huge bricks. I just don't see it as sacrificing storage as you have the option to switch cards out which technically gives you unlimited storage. Then factor in the sizes of the cards that are gradually moving towards higher capacities. Next will be 128 GB cards and then 256. That will be more than enough for me personally.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SD-card-holder-BLUE/dp/B006J73RAI

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/128gb-phone-tech-is-coming-says-sandisk

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,984 of 3,609
Quote:
I am still amazed at the advancement in storage. It seems just a short while back that a 250 or 500mb hard drive was huge and when the 2gb hard drives hit the market, whooaaa, look out, you'll never need that much storage and it will never be filled! Now a micr card the size of thumbnail make the 3.5 inch hard drives look sad. Very interesting. So where in 5 or 10 years. I know the formula for advancements but I still find it amazing. 

My first hard drive was an RLL unit that took up two drive bays and held 20MB.  Now that  $60 card you refer to holds as much data as a $15,000 Enterprise NAS did 10 years ago.  I guess things are relative

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,985 of 3,609
My first hard drive was an RLL unit that took up two drive bays and held 20MB.  Now that  $60 card you refer to holds as much data as a $15,000 Enterprise NAS did 10 years ago.  I guess things are relative

SO true. The first PC I bought for myself, the 8088, didn't even have an hdd lol. It wasn't until the 80286 I got a 20mb one.

I think many of these makers are simply seeing the micro sd as the new CD or MD. Iriver is even releasing "MQS" albums on micro sd.

350x700px-LL-60e1784f_IMG_7839.jpeg

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,986 of 3,609
Quote:

Audiophile players is not just about sound but should be 'everything in the mix', including storage, battery life, blah blah. I may have joined Head Fi recently (I have been listening to music for the past +25 years), but to me every player out there sounds good DEPENDING ON WHAT one pairs it with.

As one above posted comparing the Sansa clip sounds great with easier to drive IEMs/Headphones.

To enjoy the best sound quality, STORAGE is critical. Flac takes a lot of space. An enthusiast who has well over 72GB of FLAC will find fault not having enough space to enjoy the sound of all the albums one has. For some who have less than storage capacity of the DAP, wont find fault to DAPs that are tagged audiophiles.

I have 5 32gb micro SD cards and 5 64gb cards. For me swapping cards with different types of music isn't a big deal but we all have our preferences and I can understand yours that you have stated. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,987 of 3,609
Get facts straight before calling out names.

So anyone who posts something that many dont understand is a TROLL????????????????????????????????????????????????

Don't know what you are implying...

But from the various posts I've read from you in this thread, you seem to have some ludicrous idea of what a "audiophile" player is. I'm guessing you also think this dream player should cost $100 or so as well? If what you say is true about you being around for 25+ years etc., then you should know audiophile and budget don't typically mix. Your post was totally off the cuff and has been answered countless times in this thread already. Flapping your arms and yelling no fair wont get you what you want. The DX50's capacity is competitive for the price. Most people are sensible enough to look past the smaller capacity because of what is truly important to them is sound quality. That takes precedent, everything else is secondary. If that doesn't suit your needs then move on. But constantly harping on something that has already been discussed is pointless and IMO troll.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,993 of 3,609
Quote:

Anyway, no spinning hd in the DX50 or any other current DAP. All solid state, which is nice. 

Thank god!  Much as I liked the usability of the i-Classic, it really, really pissed me off that both my Classics died because of the spinning hdd corrupting (irreparably) in one way or another. Never again!

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,994 of 3,609
Well, it's a different OS and different internals than DX100. No guarantee

Although I do think it's likely.
Just saying that iBasso will very likely implement gapless. The UI will probably be better than the DX100 as well I guess.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,995 of 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find micro-sd / sd card annoying.

....and there is the nub of it

Quote:
Just simply buy more than 1 micro SD card and get a micro SD card holder and swap out cards from time to time? I don't think it's as big of an issue as it has been made out to be.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back