DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,966 of 3,609
Quote:
I received an email from iBasso. First of all, their reply is lightning fast but unfortunately DX50 will have only 8 gb + microsd card only. For most of us, it is good enough but for me, I am not sure. I hope all other aspects will cover it and I won't mind the lack of capacity.

Yeah I could definitely use more, but it's not the end of the world. Does anyone have any idea when 128gb microSD cards will be available, if at all?

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,969 of 3,609
Quote:
8GB + 64GB means 72GB total (not including bloatware)

Is it justifiable purchasing these so called 'audiophile' players when most DAPs out there provide more or less the same storage?

Storage has nothing to do with the sound, unless there is zero storage, so I am not sure what your statement means. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,970 of 3,609
Quote:
Storage has nothing to do with the sound, unless there is zero storage, so I am not sure what your statement means. 

Obvious troll. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,971 of 3,609
lol I was wondering the same thing. You'd normally buy this type of player based on the sound quality you get. If you don't believe in such thing then you've found paradise with the Sansa Clip. It won't get any better :wink:.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,972 of 3,609
Quote:
lol I was wondering the same thing. You'd normally buy this type of player based on the sound quality you get. If you don't believe in such thing then you've found paradise with the Sansa Clip. It won't get any better :wink:.

I am still amazed at the advancement in storage. It seems just a short while back that a 250 or 500mb hard drive was huge and when the 2gb hard drives hit the market, whooaaa, look out, you'll never need that much storage and it will never be filled! Now a micr card the size of thumbnail make the 3.5 inch hard drives look sad. Very interesting. So where in 5 or 10 years. I know the formula for advancements but I still find it amazing. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,974 of 3,609
Quote:
I'm in need of a pair of 4 TB drives now.... 2 was excessive at one point and now its a necessity.... :frowning2:

I back up to pairs of 2TB 2.5 firewire drives for my images. So small, and so far, have had better luck with 2.5 than 3.5 as far as longevity. 

Anyway, no spinning hd in the DX50 or any other current DAP. All solid state, which is nice. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,975 of 3,609
I'm in need of a pair of 4 TB drives now.... 2 was excessive at one point and now its a necessity.... :frowning2:

I've a pair of 3s, but still good to have a plug and play dock to just hotswap as many hdd as I like. Used to only rely on my NAS but running raid5 make rebuilding the array when upgrading disks a pain...

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,976 of 3,609
3.5 has been working for me. Not to mention 2.5 isn't plug and play with my system while the 3.5s just slide in a lock into place. I'm basically more concerned with backing up my music than anything else. But my OS has been imaged as well as other important things.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,977 of 3,609
Quote:

Actually it does in the sense that lossless, the best sounding format, takes up the most space. So it doesn't make much sense to skimp on storage space on a audiophile DAP and make the consumer choose between using a hi end player with lossy files or only having a small portion of their collection available to them. Especially considering how technically easy it is to upgrade from 8GB to say 128 GB built in memory.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,978 of 3,609
Quote:
I've a pair of 3s, but still good to have a plug and play dock to just hotswap as many hdd as I like. Used to only rely on my NAS but running raid5 make rebuilding the array when upgrading disks a pain...

That's why I never used raid. Although it does have its benefits. I just copy and paste when the time comes. Finishing up organizing my drive a little at a time (music) and then I'll do a full back up of it for archival purposes. It's really a PITA though. I probably should just do raid eventually....

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,979 of 3,609
Quote:

Audiophile players is not just about sound but should be 'everything in the mix', including storage, battery life, blah blah. I may have joined Head Fi recently (I have been listening to music for the past +25 years), but to me every player out there sounds good DEPENDING ON WHAT one pairs it with.

As one above posted comparing the Sansa clip sounds great with easier to drive IEMs/Headphones.

To enjoy the best sound quality, STORAGE is critical. Flac takes a lot of space. An enthusiast who has well over 72GB of FLAC will find fault not having enough space to enjoy the sound of all the albums one has. For some who have less than storage capacity of the DAP, wont find fault to DAPs that are tagged audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back