DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,996 of 3,609
Quote:
^this.

My music library is about a half terabytes, but most of the music is the kind I listen to mainly at home.

Quote:

Audiophile players is not just about sound but should be 'everything in the mix', including storage, battery life, blah blah. I may have joined Head Fi recently (I have been listening to music for the past +25 years), but to me every player out there sounds good DEPENDING ON WHAT one pairs it with.

As one above posted comparing the Sansa clip sounds great with easier to drive IEMs/Headphones.

To enjoy the best sound quality, STORAGE is critical. Flac takes a lot of space. An enthusiast who has well over 72GB of FLAC will find fault not having enough space to enjoy the sound of all the albums one has. For some who have less than storage capacity of the DAP, wont find fault to DAPs that are tagged audiophiles.

Honestly sound is all that matters, in these devices. I had a hm 6011, 8gbs on board 5 hours of battery life on Line Out High gain... and I carrieda bout 3 32gb SD cards with me and that was PLENTY for me. So most of us audiophiles, who have a different headphone for different genres of music don't mind having so little space. I mean 32gbs of 16 bit flac is still around... 72 hours of music. At about 4 hours a day listening and you'd end up with about 18days worth of music on one 32gb SD card, and that's at about 40mbs a flac, and 5mins a song [I don't remeber what compression my Flacs are]

But the point is, a 72gb card would be esstially 36 days of music... now I don't know about you but about every 2 weeks, I generally switch on my genre of music, as well as my portable cans. An for me I have 2 portable cans, my Dt 990, and soon to arrive [ATH A900x or AKG K550] So after 2 weeks I will have not even gotten through all of my music on the 32gb SD card, and let's not forget the 8gbs on board

My point, 72gb's is plenty of space for most of us, as most of us don't use one can for everything. AND even when I did use my Dt 880 FOR EVERYTHING, I was getting new music to listen to about every 2 weeks [and that was just exploring at home with my 800gbs of flacs] So all in all, I think 8gb's + a 64gb card is more than enough. as that's about 36 days of music assuming you listen to each song individually, and for some one like me who just slams it on repeat, and about every other day fixates on 3 albums for 4 hours, even with one can I was plenty happy with only 40gbs

So ultimately, I don't care about battery life. I can listen while she is chargeing in class. I don't care about user interface, as long as it plays music and I can have a folder view. All I want is a high quality excellent sounding DAP, and I think iBass and Hifiman both realize that. Hence is why we Audiophile, enjoy our music so much.

Granted if you want BATTERY LIFE, and UI, and STORAGE AND OMG FEATRURES. Get a Cowon, 

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,997 of 3,609
Quote:

Honestly sound is all that matters, in these devices. I had a hm 6011, 8gbs on board 5 hours of battery life on Line Out High gain... and I carrieda bout 3 32gb SD cards with me and that was PLENTY for me. So most of us audiophiles, who have a different headphone for different genres of music don't mind having so little space. I mean 32gbs of 16 bit flac is still around... 72 hours of music. At about 4 hours a day listening and you'd end up with about 18days worth of music on one 32gb SD card, and that's at about 40mbs a flac, and 5mins a song [I don't remeber what compression my Flacs are]

But the point is, a 72gb card would be esstially 36 days of music... now I don't know about you but about every 2 weeks, I generally switch on my genre of music, as well as my portable cans. An for me I have 2 portable cans, my Dt 990, and soon to arrive [ATH A900x or AKG K550] So after 2 weeks I will have not even gotten through all of my music on the 32gb SD card, and let's not forget the 8gbs on board

My point, 72gb's is plenty of space for most of us, as most of us don't use one can for everything. AND even when I did use my Dt 880 FOR EVERYTHING, I was getting new music to listen to about every 2 weeks [and that was just exploring at home with my 800gbs of flacs] So all in all, I think 8gb's + a 64gb card is more than enough. as that's about 36 days of music assuming you listen to each song individually, and for some one like me who just slams it on repeat, and about every other day fixates on 3 albums for 4 hours, even with one can I was plenty happy with only 40gbs

So ultimately, I don't care about battery life. I can listen while she is chargeing in class. I don't care about user interface, as long as it plays music and I can have a folder view. All I want is a high quality excellent sounding DAP, and I think iBass and Hifiman both realize that. Hence is why we Audiophile, enjoy our music so much.

Granted if you want BATTERY LIFE, and UI, and STORAGE AND OMG FEATRURES. Get a Cowon, 

a) Sound is all that matters? Maybe to you....but anything less than 10 hours battery life is just not acceptable.

b) Get a Cowon if UI is important? That makes me  Battery life, sure. Storage and features, sure......but UI is not their strong point by any means.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,998 of 3,609
Cowon D2 UI is perfect, X7...not so much. I've heard nothing but bad about the newer ones.

I charge my players everynight anyway, so small battery life is not an issue.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,999 of 3,609
Quote:

a) Sound is all that matters? Maybe to you....but anything less than 10 hours battery life is just not acceptable.

b) Get a Cowon if UI is important? That makes me  Battery life, sure. Storage and features, sure......but UI is not their strong point by any means.

True, but some of them run about 100 hours + and have HUGE storage! Granted thier ui sucks. And I can feel you on the anything Under 10 hours although USB Wall Wart are very common for anything that charges via usb, as is a car port usb charger. So I don't see where you'd be where you couldn't just slap it in n charge n listen.

Although I will say, RockBox apprently helps with battery life 

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,000 of 3,609
Quote:

Thank god!  Much as I liked the usability of the i-Classic, it really, really pissed me off that both my Classics died because of the spinning hdd corrupting (irreparably) in one way or another. Never again!

I loved my ipod classic 5.5g... until it broke :frowning2:. Simple, intuitive hardware/software.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,001 of 3,609
If the DX50 is anything like the D10, it will be a winner for me. It may not have enough space for the caps of the D10, but if the rest of the implementation is similar to the D10, it probably sound very good.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,004 of 3,609
Dont get me wrong guys. For me, its not about sound but also storage. Right now I use Sony Vaio Duo 11 with 2 128GB SD cards (one is in it).
DAPs relying on micro-sd/sd and giving paltry internal storage is not justifiable (considering when the first MP3 came out)
I was expecting more internal storage (8GB is far too less to me even to consider a purchase)

I had high hopes for this, but its just not for me. Call it a rant, but I'm not trollin. :)

Quote:

For convenience. They are sized small for portability reasons. Technically speaking you'd be able to carry a lot of music with you with a simple micro SD card holder. Most people are not into carrying around huge bricks. I just don't see it as sacrificing storage as you have the option to switch cards out which technically gives you unlimited storage. Then factor in the sizes of the cards that are gradually moving towards higher capacities. Next will be 128 GB cards and then 256. That will be more than enough for me personally.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SD-card-holder-BLUE/dp/B006J73RAI

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/128gb-phone-tech-is-coming-says-sandisk

Quote:
I have 5 32gb micro SD cards and 5 64gb cards. For me swapping cards with different types of music isn't a big deal but we all have our preferences and I can understand yours that you have stated. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,005 of 3,609
Quote:
Don't know what you are implying...

being around for 25+ years etc., then you should know audiophile and budget don't typically mix.

Do have any idea what were the prices of the WM-D6C (walkman) and D-15 (discman) when they came out? They were both audiophile & they were both in budget (selling below $500). So they did mix at one point!

Lets end it here. I feel you have no idea what you're talking about or history, so you post something or end it with mine.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,006 of 3,609
Do have any idea what were the prices of the WM-D6C (walkman) and D-15 (discman) when they came out? They were both audiophile & they were both in budget (selling below $500). So they did mix at one point!

Lets end it here. I feel you have no idea what you're talking about or history, so you post something or end it with mine.

I owned both the WM-D6 and the D-15 when they first appeared on the market. While they were both in the $200-300 range as I recall, they definitely were not budget at that price way back then. They were both considered to be very expensive at the time they were introduced.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,008 of 3,609
Quote:

Both of those units are/were priced about the same as this DX50 no? I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this example of yours. Your talking about lack of capacity here, why is a discman or even a walkman considered? Also, 300 odd dollars when those came out was a lot of money to spend on audio equipment. Especially for common enthusiasts. I also recall those units going for more than $300 at release. I stand by what I said.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,009 of 3,609
He's probably mentioning the walkmans to clarify the audiophile aspect of his argument and that he indeed also does make sacrifices for sound. Just in this case he doesn't want to have to sacrifice storage when considering the DX50. Well good for him there are other more expensive alternatives that may solve his issue. Moving along... :wink:

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,010 of 3,609
Attention: Amazon daily deal on micro SD cards. $40 for 64GB. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back