DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 22, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #3,722 of 13,478
Is it normal for the DX220 to heat up when playing even regular flac files? I have used other DAPS that run cool all the time. Does heating mean faster battery drain and shorter longevity of the player?

No the amps and dacs and of course CPU all generate heat, it's normal. Most daps and phones have glass backs and glass is an insulator- so you don't notice it as much. The all metal chassis is acting as a heat sink hence the warmth. Metal is a great conductor.

If the heat WASN'T dissipating, then I would worry about damage to the battery and components.

May 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #3,724 of 13,478
The CPU is certainly not fast, but IMHO good enough for audio player.

It's as fast as any other dap I've had. I'm not going to play games on it or watch a movie on it. It's a nice screen sure, but my phone is bigger and has a nicer screen.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #3,725 of 13,478
And afaik only 2 daps run really fast and the general consensus is dx220 sounds better than both and has swappable amps. So, if you wan't phone like fluidity and speed, you can buy R6 or M11- or wait for next generation of dx series.

Or you can live with the extra milliseconds and enjoy dx220. I sure am :) And it's not sluggish to me, I remember ak junior lol. That was sluggish, dx220 is like a rocket in comparison. Plus I still have a feeling pure mango mode can be optimized quite a bit more. I've been using mango android exclusively, I like the set up better.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #3,727 of 13,478
I have been quietly observed and admired this thread for quite sometime. Finally I ordered DX220 plus AMP8 and it is on the way. I can’t wait to enjoy it with my CA Vega and newly purchased Shure KSE1200. I would like to thank everyone here for sharing the journey and experiences.

im sure you wont be disappointed. I love my dx220

May 22, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,728 of 13,478
And afaik only 2 daps run really fast and the general consensus is dx220 sounds better than both and has swappable amps. So, if you wan't phone like fluidity and speed, you can buy R6 or M11- or wait for next generation of dx series.

Or you can live with the extra milliseconds and enjoy dx220. I sure am :) And it's not sluggish to me, I remember ak junior lol. That was sluggish, dx220 is like a rocket in comparison. Plus I still have a feeling pure mango mode can be optimized quite a bit more. I've been using mango android exclusively, I like the set up better.
There's no doubt that the DX220 would sound better than the R6 Pro and M11. But if the dap is laggy at launch then it can only get laggier. That's why I'm on the fence on whether I should wait for the next DX flagship

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #3,729 of 13,478
just hammered a 400gb card with 130gb of music..

May 22, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #3,730 of 13,478
just hammered a 400gb card with 130gb of music..
20190522_202000.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3,731 of 13,478
@twister6, V49 balanced, mid Gain, Solaris, AMp1Mk2
that's so Loud...... max for me is V35.

ur posting about digital filter really helpful, at last give baseline...
SmartSelect_20190522-154742_Chrome.jpg

Regarding GUI, similar like sound sig, its really preference...
as long the sound Quality this good, I really Dont mind a bit lag...

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,733 of 13,478
There's no doubt that the DX220 would sound better than the R6 Pro and M11. But if the dap is laggy at launch then it can only get laggier. That's why I'm on the fence on whether I should wait for the next DX flagship

What? Why on earth would it get laggier? Have you used the dx220? Tons of daps I have used have become smoother and faster with subsequent firmware, Sony nw45, ak 70, cayin n3, shanling MO, have all benefited in smoother faster ui after firmware upgrades.

May 22, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #3,734 of 13,478
Awesome review! I am surprised that you drive Empyrean with Amp1 MKII :D...

When I get to Empyrean review, I will focus mostly on tests with various DAPs, will see which portable device drives is better. But yeah, no complaint driving it with amp1ii or amp8. The only question, was it driven to its full potential? I don't have enough "data points" for comparison to judge that yet.

Great read as always @twister6

The cpu choice is the only thing holding me back from the DX220. A faster cpu would have made it so much more enjoyable to use. Perhaps its was a design constrain or ibasso simply had too much leftover cpus but it's definitely shame the cpu stayed the same especially considering that the competition has moved on to using faster cpus like on the Fiio M11 or Cayin N6ii.

Another thing I'm interested in is a comparison between the DX220 and the N8. Would that comparison be possible? Thanks :)

That's where you have to figure out your priorities. Mango app (in Android mode) is fast and responsive. And I had no issues using streaming apps. You will have to compromise somewhere and decide which feature has top priority for you - the sound quality or the android experience. I hate commenting on products I have no experience with, but for example, every trusted impression of M11 I've read so far speaks highly of the interface speed and not much about sound quality. Can't comment about N8 because I don't have it anymore (one of the reasons why I try to avoid "tours" because I get flooded with questions afterwards which I can't answer, and going by memory is like pulling stuff out of your...).

May 22, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #3,735 of 13,478
I haven't gotten my DX220 yet! :) Just trying to make a plan for future improvements! And I believe that it would be extremely useful if you share your experience with us here!

So installed the Advanced ROM on DX220 just a bit back, and so far listening from my U12T, my initial impressions are very much inline to what @Whitigir had mentioned in his impression for the ROM on DX200, to quote him:

"Total improvement is 10-15%: better boot time !! better Dynamic, better transient energy, more musicality and fluidity, which all of them help in improving a better imagines, and so it brings a more realistic timbres with a very very slight touch of warmth. Less grainy edges texture."

It sounds more musical and fluid to me now. OS seems a bit less laggy now though too!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back