DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 30, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #11,431 of 13,478
Actually I think just plug the head phones into the DX220 is the best option.
But then what do I do with that pretty pile of Schiit on my desk?!? :sob:

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #11,435 of 13,478
Hey, guys. Thinking about buying a new DAC (currently, I have Sony wm1a, quite satisfied but want more at this point). On what scale DX220 will be better or it be better then my 2 years old Sony?
It is another tier in performances when compared to WM1A. It would take a lot of works for the Wm1A to be comparable. The DX220’s is more geared toward WM1Z in comparison. They have different sound signatures with 220 have much less battery run time and WM1 Walkman has a lot more run time

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #11,436 of 13,478
Has anyone tried both the DX220 with Amp 1,8 or 9 and the KANN Cube and can give impressions? I appreciate I'm probably going to get somewhat of a biased response given the title of the thread but interested to hear comparisons.

I have both dx220 and Kann cube. Using dx220 with amp1 mkii and had the amp9.
I think the purpose and target users of the two devices are very different but anyway brief comparison:

DX221: More reference sound, big 3d soundstage with excellent separation of instruments, very dark background.Less Bass impact and thinner mids compared to Kann Cube. Smaller.Portable.Open android, you can install everything. Battery not the best if you browse too much in tidal or apple music while streaming

DX229: Very analogue sound.Big soundstage. I liked the sound of amp9 but it was too noisy for me and it was Very underpowered.It depletes the battery even more than amp1.

Kann cube: Better build quality and material but it costs much more.The cube is big and, while it’s a joy to use at home, I would not really call it portable. The cube is also neutral but at the same time is warmer and more analogue sounding than the dx221.Big 3d soundstage as well but the dx220 soundstage is even bigger and instruments have even more separation due to thinner mids.Kann cube has more bass impact and is more “muscular” sounding. Kann cube can drive any headphones due to the immense power.Battery is better. Kann cube has very low noise level but a bit more than dx221 when driving ultra sensitive iems (I never tried any Dap with less noise and hiss than dx220 tbh).Closed android, you can only install apps whitelisted by astell and kern.
All in all, for my music preferences and the sinergy with my iems and headphones, I prefer the sound of kann cube.

To summarize: they are both great daps and you will be happy with both.If you need something portable and more reference sounding, go for dx220. If you want something to just use at home and you don’t need open android, go for the kann cube, the sound is really amazing

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #11,437 of 13,478
hello everyone and good health
My first involvement in the forum. I like to follow the exchange of feelings and opinions on this thread, and I think the forum is constructive to crIeate a better experience. listen to 229 with fearless s8f as I walk around and am very happy with the sound. I have a marantz hd dac1 at home and HE 560. For me, 229-s8f is better sound. And what a weird s8f that has a thicker and cleaner floor than the planar ones.When I use an HD dac as an amp for 220 it is visibly better sound HE 560.I still want to grind my diamond. What would you recommend for me, software and hardware?

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #11,438 of 13,478
hello everyone and good health
My first involvement in the forum. I like to follow the exchange of feelings and opinions on this thread, and I think the forum is constructive to crIeate a better experience. listen to 229 with fearless s8f as I walk around and am very happy with the sound. I have a marantz hd dac1 at home and HE 560. For me, 229-s8f is better sound. And what a weird s8f that has a thicker and cleaner floor than the planar ones.When I use an HD dac as an amp for 220 it is visibly better sound HE 560.I still want to grind my diamond. What would you recommend for me, software and hardware?
Welcome to the forum
software wise, you can install Lurker firmware, and you have more options with sound processing
Hardware wise, DX220 can benefit from Amp8EX, but you need 4.4mm connections and cables
take your time on grinding that diamond, it could get expensive quickly :D

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #11,439 of 13,478
I have both dx220 and Kann cube. Using dx220 with amp1 mkii and had the amp9.
I think the purpose and target users of the two devices are very different but anyway brief comparison:

DX221: More reference sound, big 3d soundstage with excellent separation of instruments, very dark background.Less Bass impact and thinner mids compared to Kann Cube. Smaller.Portable.Open android, you can install everything. Battery not the best if you browse too much in tidal or apple music while streaming

DX229: Very analogue sound.Big soundstage. I liked the sound of amp9 but it was too noisy for me and it was Very underpowered.It depletes the battery even more than amp1.

Kann cube: Better build quality and material but it costs much more.The cube is big and, while it’s a joy to use at home, I would not really call it portable. The cube is also neutral but at the same time is warmer and more analogue sounding than the dx221.Big 3d soundstage as well but the dx220 soundstage is even bigger and instruments have even more separation due to thinner mids.Kann cube has more bass impact and is more “muscular” sounding. Kann cube can drive any headphones due to the immense power.Battery is better. Kann cube has very low noise level but a bit more than dx221 when driving ultra sensitive iems (I never tried any Dap with less noise and hiss than dx220 tbh).Closed android, you can only install apps whitelisted by astell and kern.
All in all, for my music preferences and the sinergy with my iems and headphones, I prefer the sound of kann cube.

To summarize: they are both great daps and you will be happy with both.If you need something portable and more reference sounding, go for dx220. If you want something to just use at home and you don’t need open android, go for the kann cube, the sound is really amazing

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it! I currently have the cube and I love it but was looking to get something more portable with better detail retrieval.

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #11,440 of 13,478
Welcome to the forum
software wise, you can install Lurker firmware, and you have more options with sound processing
Hardware wise, DX220 can benefit from Amp8EX, but you need 4.4mm connections and cables
take your time on grinding that diamond, it could get expensive quickly :D
Thanks for the tips. I'm just thinking about upgrading that way. I hope I can capture the booty

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #11,441 of 13,478
Thanks for the tips. I'm just thinking about upgrading that way. I hope I can capture the booty
I forgot, you can also buy in Fidelizer firmware, some people love it and some don’t hear the differences. You can have a trial version. Back when I had it, it was good with Android OS, if you use streaming apps. However, I am the fan of MangoOS, so I don’t pay attention to it anymore

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,442 of 13,478
I forgot, you can also buy in Fidelizer firmware, some people love it and some don’t hear the differences. You can have a trial version. Back when I had it, it was good with Android OS, if you use streaming apps. However, I am the fan of MangoOS, so I don’t pay attention to it anymore
Yes, i am looking in that direction too .Mango has heard well but lately i like to explore new music mostly spotify and tidal, via uapp i access tidal master, and neutron sometimes to sd card

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #11,444 of 13,478
Ok gang, I risk exposing my naivete with this question...so my apologies in advance.
I am new to the DAP world (and my DX220) and have a very very basic question.
Regarding how downloaded playlists are maintained.
I have several playlists from streaming services that get updated periodically, and I have them downloading to my memory card.
I assume that there is no way to delete songs automatically as they're deleted from the playlists?
For example...playlist A has songs 1-10. Tomorrow songs 1 and 2 are deleted, and songs 11 and 12 are added. Obviously songs 11 and 12 will be downloaded and available, but I assume songs 1 and 2 remain on the memory card?

The implication (if true) would be I'd need to periodically wipe the playlists and start from scratch, else I'll run out of room eventually...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back