DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 26, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #11,401 of 13,478
I have both SP1000+amp and DX220 right now and SP1K set is up for sale :) I think the preference depends on what you value. SP1K definitely has the "weight" in hand and the solid (but limited) hw/sw that may appeal to some people. I don't care about holding a gold brick in my hand :) I thought that SP1K has blacker background but it was leaning on analytical side for my preference. SP1K+Amp has good drive. Whatever floats your boat! My $0.02.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #11,402 of 13,478
Well, here I have two things to say. First of all I am not going to buy another amp and moreover modify it by myself. I am not at this point yet)))
And secondly, again, how exactly OS influences sound? Maybe I don't understand something but for me it sounds the same as "with this usb cable I get better sound than with another one"
Most simple way to look at it is that to get the best performance/sound from sabre pro dac's they need to be software controlled, hardware settings are inferiour. Rest of the system and its audio paths can be optimized/improved/ changed. Software is just as important as hardware. Anyone can put together good hardware. Actually making it sound good is a different story. Ibasso are fantastic at their software sound tuning. Look at it like this fioo has similar hardware to astel and kern yet sound nowhere near as good.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #11,403 of 13,478
Has anyone tried both the DX220 with Amp 1,8 or 9 and the KANN Cube and can give impressions? I appreciate I'm probably going to get somewhat of a biased response given the title of the thread but interested to hear comparisons.

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #11,404 of 13,478
I have both SP1000+amp and DX220 right now and SP1K set is up for sale :) I think the preference depends on what you value. SP1K definitely has the "weight" in hand and the solid (but limited) hw/sw that may appeal to some people. I don't care about holding a gold brick in my hand :) I thought that SP1K has blacker background but it was leaning on analytical side for my preference. SP1K+Amp has good drive. Whatever floats your boat! My $0.02.
Wow. I thought ibasso is leaning to analytical side...at least my dx80 does.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #11,407 of 13,478
Having my first issue with the DX220 and am looking for some help. I have a Schiit Jotunheim that I use to power my HD-650s at home. I have been using the DX220 via its USB-C out into the Jotunheim MB DAC on and off for a couple weeks with good results. Yesterday, when I hooked it up, I got no sound while playing. I tried in both Amazon and Tidal, with both streaming and downloaded music. I unplugged the USB-C cable and the DX220 froze up. Pressing power did nothing. I plugged it in to charge (despite it being at over 80% battery when attached to the Schiit) and left it for a while. Eventually it powered back on, much to my relief.

When I tried hooking it up to the Schiit again today, it plays, but with jittery dropouts. If I plug the HD-650s into the amp on the DX220, I do not hear this, but I like the Schiit so as not to drain the battery on the DX220 quite so fast. I've tried rebooting the DX220 to no avail. I have a second USB-C to USB-B cable on the way, but I don't think it's the cable. Audio from my iPad Pro or my MBP over the same cable doesn't exhibit this behavior. Before I go the factory reset route, I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #11,408 of 13,478
Having my first issue with the DX220 and am looking for some help. I have a Schiit Jotunheim that I use to power my HD-650s at home. I have been using the DX220 via its USB-C out into the Jotunheim MB DAC on and off for a couple weeks with good results. Yesterday, when I hooked it up, I got no sound while playing. I tried in both Amazon and Tidal, with both streaming and downloaded music. I unplugged the USB-C cable and the DX220 froze up. Pressing power did nothing. I plugged it in to charge (despite it being at over 80% battery when attached to the Schiit) and left it for a while. Eventually it powered back on, much to my relief.

When I tried hooking it up to the Schiit again today, it plays, but with jittery dropouts. If I plug the HD-650s into the amp on the DX220, I do not hear this, but I like the Schiit so as not to drain the battery on the DX220 quite so fast. I've tried rebooting the DX220 to no avail. I have a second USB-C to USB-B cable on the way, but I don't think it's the cable. Audio from my iPad Pro or my MBP over the same cable doesn't exhibit this behavior. Before I go the factory reset route, I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I would do a factory reset.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #11,409 of 13,478
I would do a factory reset.
Do you happen to know whether I will lose all of the music I've downloaded (Amazon and Tidal)? It's all on the external SD card, but it's a few hundred GB...

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #11,411 of 13,478
External memory will not be erased. Only the internal memory.
Thanks for responding. I appreciate the reply.

I should have been more specific in my question. I know that it won't delete the external card. I guess I really meant to ask whether the DRM for Amazon and Tidal would be impacted by a factory reset. It's one thing to have the bits still exist on the SD card. It's another to have the (re-installed) apps still be willing to play them...

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #11,413 of 13,478
I couldn't answer that, I don't use streaming.
Let me rephrase that, I don't stream on ibasso.
No problem. I decided to test it. The answer is, unfortunately, that the re-installed apps do NOT recognize already-downloaded DRM-protected music from before the factory reset. I am hoping that re-downloads overnight will save me some pain.

In some initial testing, I don't believe the reset fixed the USB transport issue, either. :sob:

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #11,414 of 13,478
Can you try it trough your phone just to make sure its dx220 thats at fault. Perhaps issue lies elsewhere. Otherwise only other thing you can try is conmecting it to pc and trough android tool reinstal first formware and go from there, that may help

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #11,415 of 13,478
Ok--I need you guys' help
I got the 220. Love it. So--first thing I did was download Qobuz from the APK. Put a song on loop and let it run (medium volume--charger plugged in) for 6 days. I only listen to streaming. I love the Uapp app. So I found the Lurker download so as to get the Play Store and Uapp. Downloaded it and went into the Play Store and downloaded Uapp and Tidal. I go to play and now anything I play in Uapp and Tidal will drop the Wifi connection after around 5 minutes. Not two, not ten--always about the same. So I'm freaking out and I'm checking my wifi--all seems good. I put my phone (Android with uapp, Tidal and Qobuz) and the 220 side by side. The 220 drops wifi after 5 minutes and after 90 minutes my phone is still going strong. Weird thing is that Wifi comes back immediately after being dropped. So--I factory reset the 220, re-install Lurker and Tidal and Qobuz from the play store. Same problem. So I talk to Moon Audio and Ibasso and they have me send it back to Moon. They do a factory reset and install Qobuz and Tidal from APK. Runs like a charm. They suspected that the apps from the Play store didn't download correctly. Keep in mind that when I first got it I got Qobuz from APK--not the Play store. I'm receiving it back today. I'm afraid to download Lurker and using the Play store. I think that Tidal through Uapp sounds better than through just Tidal. I have a pair of Audeze LCD i3's that need eq to play properly. I listen to a lot of early stereo jazz recordings. Crossfeed is almost essential for these. They are panned so crazy right and left--crossfeed really helps.
Any ideas? It seems that Mango is only for playing downloaded recordings, right? Not for streaming? ( a dumb oversight IMO) Can Uapp be gotten from another source? Are there any APK store apps that can do audiophile quality Eq?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back