DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,391 of 13,478
I have no problems with battery life or operation on the new firmware (I don't use EQ right now, but would like to, so hope that gets fixed!). Love the new "high output" setting for AMP9 on Mango!

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #9,392 of 13,478
Is there a problem with the latest fw from iBasso? I will get a dx220 in a few days, I bought it cheaper, it is a sealed product. I was thinking of installing the latest software update.
Here is a link to what I posted after the last FW was rolled out: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-611#post-15322925

So if you use EQ, like I do, I would stay with 1.13.202 and hopefully iBasso will take care of this in the next FW update...

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #9,393 of 13,478
OK thanks. From what I understood the last fw is to accommodate the amp9 module. I'll probably go to amp7, but it's too early to say.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #9,394 of 13,478
Received the DX220 today. It will be used as dac for higher quality sound from the computer and as a music player. I'm using it with Beyerdynamic t5p phones for the sound and isolation. It is an upgrade from a Sony 02u. I loaded firmware 1.15.233.

Not the best impression from the git go. First two different 256gb SD cards would not scan. After an hour, nothing. Found a link with a similar problem with Fiio so reformatted the SD card from the DX220. Was able to reload with 130gb of files but it took 15 to 20 minutes to complete the scan. The Sony took 30 seconds for two 256gb SD cards. Mango in Android mode gave up and timed out. Restarting was no help. Pressing the power button for minutes had no effect. Only solution was to remove the SD card. Scanning from Android with 130gb worked eventually.

SB Dac works fine but it drains the battery. The charger is disengaged. Only problem is there is no battery level indication when in DAC mode. So it runs until it quits. Around 50% after a few hours.

The case is nice but the unit overheats quickly with it. It quit after about an hour in DAC mode with the case fitted. Would not restart until sufficiently cooled.

I hope it gets better. The overheating and battery life can be managed. The problem with scanning SD cards is a real issue. I have a large collection and never know what I will feel like listening to in advance. Is this an isolated issue? Have others used cards of 256 or larger without problems? This happened with both Samsung EVO and Sandisk 256gb cards.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #9,399 of 13,478
so sorry, double post...

well since I did wrong (double post) and discuss my kind of topic, Cable...

Here is Rosenkranz Cable... Yeah I know, the exotix material is like LAN CABLE... really stiff & Eye candy.
The magic, is the best cable if you looking for Separation... It really segregate the Gap to have more distance... Not all people want these...
must Try to believe... Not only Japan have Some mummbo Jumbo... German also... hahaha.. anyway just sharing

And the cost is 2x of DX228... Hahaha
I just found the cable price ... it gave me OMG moment. Lol.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #9,400 of 13,478
1 universal cables to be able to take care of all systems.

But the dream is there... MY HOLY GRAIL QUEST is these...
Like the one ring to bind them all ....

I just found the cable price ... it gave me OMG moment. Lol.

HAHAHA... I was cough heavily, when I tried this and being told afterward.... and this was 3.5 SE...
for me, its like LAN Cable BELDEN... or old wire phone line...

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #9,402 of 13,478
@Paul - iBasso

Now with the amp7 in my possession as well, I've been doing more listening back and forth between Mango OS and Android mode.
The best way I can describe the difference is that the middle of the soundstage is pushed further back in the mix in Android mode, making the center image less focused and more emphasis on the sides. Also, more bass emphasis in Mango OS mode. Overall Mango OS mode sounds more like other sources, Android mode sounds... off.

One theory I have is: the ESS DACs are configured incorrectly on boot up in Android mode and some of the L and R channels are actually flipped and cancelling, making the bass response lower and removing some of the middle (similar to how you can change the soundstage in a Mid/Side mix).

Just want to go on record saying the strange soundstage issue I was hearing was at least for a large part due to the IEM cable I had swapped in around the same time. I need to do some more testing on that cable, but it's... messed up somehow. Perhaps some dodgy solder points.

I keep going back and forth between the two modes... on some occasions I swear I can hear the Mango OS carrying a bit more weight in the low mids / lows, on other occasions I can't quite distinguish it. Who knows. There's definitely a strong chance it's just my brain playing tricks on me.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #9,404 of 13,478
Is it possible to use DX220 for gaming by connecting it to a PC as USB DAC? I don't see why not, just want to validate.
Yes but have in mind that you can't charge and use as a dac at the same time for the reason that Paul told thousand of times, to avoid other devices to be damaged or something like that, so yes, you can use it as a dac but you can't charge and use as a dac at the same time.

In other hand, today I used it on Android OS and noticed that the battery usage was less than Mango OS and the idea is that Mango uses less services and by this, less cpu and so on than Android so I don't see the point to obtain better usage battery under Android than Mango...

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #9,405 of 13,478
Android has good battery optimization...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back