DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 15, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #8,701 of 13,478
I like the dx220ex sound with stock amp8 sound. Does amp8ex change the sound signature or just expands on the current signature?

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #8,702 of 13,478
I can say without a doubt that the EX Mod for AMP8 and the DX220 sounds amazing. As you said John, the AMP8EX sounds like a REALLY good desktop amp and brings the DX220 to highs usually reserved for full tabletop systems.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #8,703 of 13,478
I can say without a doubt that the EX Mod for AMP8 and the DX220 sounds amazing. As you said John, the AMP8EX sounds like a REALLY good desktop amp and brings the DX220 to highs usually reserved for full tabletop systems.

Im relay looking forward to trying it, Assuming I dont screw up the build :), Wondering if I should spend some time with the vanilla AMP8 first... Dont know if I can wait to hear what you are all telling me about in the AMP8ex though :).

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #8,704 of 13,478

Did you get to hear DX220ex with stock amp8 vs Dx220ex with amp8ex. I wonder if the difference is mainly with the ex mod on the main DAP or amp8ex adds significant improvement.

When I listen to the current setup, the enjoyment I get is like with my Pro iDSD and Susvara, except I can take it anywhere with me.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #8,705 of 13,478
Im relay looking forward to trying it, Assuming I dont screw up the build :), Wondering if I should spend some time with the vanilla AMP8 first... Dont know if I can wait to hear what you are all telling me about in the AMP8ex though :).
dont forget the impression AmP8EX with Solaris.. hehehe...

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #8,706 of 13,478
Did you get to hear DX220ex with stock amp8 vs Dx220ex with amp8ex. I wonder if the difference is mainly with the ex mod on the main DAP or amp8ex adds significant improvement.

When I listen to the current setup, the enjoyment I get is like with my Pro iDSD and Susvara, except I can take it anywhere with me.

Yes. I listened to the DX220EX with the stock AMP8 and then the AMP8EX. The modded AMP8EX blew my doors off. It takes the units EX mod to an entirely new higher level.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #8,707 of 13,478

Definitely spend time with the stock AMP8 first. It will give you a greater appreciation for the modded version. It really IS as good as we keep saying.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #8,708 of 13,478
Yes. I listened to the DX220EX with the stock AMP8 and then the AMP8EX. The modded AMP8EX blew my doors off. It takes the units EX mod to an entirely new higher level.

I don't believe you. Send me your amp8ex, and I'll believe it when I hear it. :ksc75smile:

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #8,709 of 13,478
Definitely spend time with the stock AMP8 first. It will give you a greater appreciation for the modded version. It really IS as good as we keep saying.

Yes I think I should. I'll give it a few weeks before modding it. This is only my 4th real audio project (Built some Mad Dogs, Lots of IEM cables and some acrylic custom IEM's) So I'll take my time and enjoy the modding, as well as the music :).

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #8,711 of 13,478
Yes I think I should. I'll give it a few weeks before modding it. This is only my 4th real audio project (Built some Mad Dogs, Lots of IEM cables and some acrylic custom IEM's) So I'll take my time and enjoy the modding, as well as the music :).

Max,

I'm really happy that you're going to take on the mod. As many have shared, it is totally worth the effort.

Since you have the skills all that's needed is the experience specific to iBasso and their amp modules. So, please do read Whit's build notes carefully. I also posted where the pitfalls are, and knowing them will make the difference between success and failure. Especially–watch out for the four bicapped caps on the top (the line filtering capacitors). The pads and traces underneath are incredibly fragile and where everyone has had trouble.

For me, the fool proof way has been to cut off the electrolytics first and then use low-temp solder on the tantalums. If you're using hot air you really have to know how to ramp up the temperature curve.

Also, since the question was raised, modding amp8 into the EX version will have a much more noticeable affect on sound than modding the main board. For the older, standard DX200 both mods were pretty significant, but iBasso's upgrade to the 220 board were so good the EX mod wasn't as dramatic. Interestingly enough, iBasso's quiet improvements to amp8 had the opposite effect and allowed for more gains in the amp8EX mod.

Best of luck to you!

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #8,712 of 13,478
Max,

I'm really happy that you're going to take on the mod. As many have shared, it is totally worth the effort.

Since you have the skills all that's needed is the experience specific to iBasso and their amp modules. So, please do read Whit's build notes carefully. I also posted where the pitfalls are, and knowing them will make the difference between success and failure. Especially–watch out for the four bicapped caps on the top (the line filtering capacitors). The pads and traces underneath are incredibly fragile and where everyone has had trouble.

For me, the fool proof way has been to cut off the electrolytics first and then use low-temp solder on the tantalums. If you're using hot air you really have to know how to ramp up the temperature curve.

Also, since the question was raised, modding amp8 into the EX version will have a much more noticeable affect on sound than modding the main board. For the older, standard DX200 both mods were pretty significant, but iBasso's upgrade to the 220 board were so good the EX mod wasn't as dramatic. Interestingly enough, iBasso's quiet improvements to amp8 had the opposite effect and allowed for more gains in the amp8EX mod.

Best of luck to you!

Hey Edwardsean

Thanks for the advice, I will head it well. Im going to start around 200 then work my way up slowly to de-solder. But that is all a few weeks away, I want to get a feel for the amp first then make one change at a time and try it out. Looking forward to it.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #8,713 of 13,478
Hey Edwardsean

Thanks for the advice, I will head it well. Im going to start around 200 then work my way up slowly to de-solder. But that is all a few weeks away, I want to get a feel for the amp first then make one change at a time and try it out. Looking forward to it.

I'm glad you're waiting until you get a sense of the stock amp8. It'll be great to get your impressions between stock and modded.

Let me just try and save you a bit of pain. Before I worked on the EX mods myself, I tried a good professional tech. He did the slow ramp up with hot air. As you know it can weaken the traces and pads. The slight weight of the Panasonic cap actually tipped over the tantalum and pulled off the pads before he even got a tweezer on it. (They are that delicate.)

– Cut the grey Panasonic electrolytic caps off the tantalums before you start heating the board or components.

Once you get past this area, the rest is not too bad, except maybe the tiny decoupling caps if you're going to do them.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #8,715 of 13,478
I will cut the old caps off and tug on the wire as I heat it up. Yes I am thinking of attempting it with an iron only, then some clamps and heat sinks in strategic places to support the surface mount things. Im going to try to avoid heating the board and try to just hit the solder. Going to use a mix of fresh solder pump and wick to clean up. Think I probably need a bigger magnifying glass for this one :). I'll be as careful as I can but we all know "Murphy was an optimist !" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back